need help deciding on a new rifle

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
I have come to the point where i am looking for a new bolt rifle. I want something that i can shoot long ranges (800 yards) at the range, and 4-500 in the field. My budget is $1400 without glass. i want something i can comfortably punch a deer with at a decent range.

I'm looking at the calibers 25-06, 6.5 creedmor, and 308.

one rifle i am looking at is :

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAKO-A-LONG-RANGE-RIFLE/1677918.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=sako&CQ_st=b

i
also was considering building a 700 in 6.5 creedmor but i have no idea of the process of assembling it myself or the parts, i want to keep it as light as possible so i can still trek it across the hills.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
I would put the .270 WSM into consideration. If you pull up the Winchester Ballistics Chart on line you can put in up to 4 or 5 calibers and see how they compare.
As far as the rifle goes how much of a factor is weight, do you plan on using it while hiking/hunting long distances on foot (backpack hunting) or are you looking at a nice heavy bull barrel?

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
i want to try to keep it under 11 pounds with a heavier barrel preferably, I'm not looking for featherweight, just as much gun for least burden

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I don't consider 400-500 yards long range. As such, any quality rifle should be capable of shooting 4-5 hundreds yards accurately, given an appropriate caliber for what your doing. However, if i were seriously considering a long range rifle, I would be looking at a manufacturer that provides at least a 1 MOA guarantee, preferably a 1/2 MOA guarantee. Christian Arms and Cooper make about the most economical off the shelf long range rifles on the market, but a bit over your price point. Both offer an over the counter 1 MOA version(s). But for a bit more money, you can get much better quality and a custom long range rifle. But be aware, appropriate glass for a long range rifle costs at least as much or more than the rifle.

Vortex now has a factory in the U.S. that started making a long range specific scope, all in house. If I recall correctly, the new, all USA made and assembled scope has 24 MOA, all compiled in an exceptionally clear light weight choice, at a very affordable price, considering what you get.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
yes i plan on getting adequate glass, what do you think of the sake i listed, it seems about perfect for what I'm looking for, thoughts? i have heard great things of sake

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Sako makes a fine rifle. They made custom barrels for long range purposes for years. But I think as you begin to become more and more proficient in long range shooting (assuming you will progress in skill and ability), you will want to shoot further and further. I am not sure of the specifics of that particular rifle, but for your listed intended purpose, I would bet it will be more than adequate, and satisfy the need you list. However, I am also sure you will grow out of that rifle, and eventually want a true long range rifle (if you stick with it).

Most long range rifles (non military) are based on a Rem 700 action. The actions are machined to accept a longer projectile (the case and bullet) ( the technical term just wont come to me at the moment), so that much heavier bullets can be used; bullets that are significantly more accurate at longer distances (1000 + yards). This process allows the depth of seating to be minimized, and thus providing more powder capacity. The guys shooting (and hunting) with such rifles hand load their ammo, or pay for it to be hand loaded. In other words, it usually develops into a serious hobby. If you think your going to get serious about it, I would suggest a 300 RUM minimum.

Furthermore, any rifle that I would intend to be used for hunting, i.e., a field use rifle, I would want to be stainless steel, so that I didn't need to be overly concerned about weather affecting my rifle. There are plentiful companies that will provide a camo or matte finish if you so desire.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
By the way, most guys that take long range shooting/hunting seriously are using this range finder: http://www.cabelas.com/product/GUNWERKS-RANGE-FINDER-G-BR-BALLISTIC/2065927.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=range+finder&CQ_st=b

For those that don't have the budget, this one has some great reviews: http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-KILO-RANGEFINDER/2228089.uts?searchPath=/browse.cmd?categoryId=734095080&CQ_search=range+finder&CQ_st=b

I don't want to be discouraging, I just want you to have an idea of what you might be stepping into. Just keep in mind that you will also want a chronograph, and the list will continue.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Buy what you want not what others think you should....
From what the OP wrote, he was soliciting opinions, preferably educated opinions. As such, he is obviously undecided in exactly what he wants. Clearly he has an idea of what he wants the new rifle capable of doing. I offered up an educated opinion based on facts, while trying to keep his price point in mind. I pointed out that most any quality off the shelf rifle should be capable of performing to a reasonable standard out the the yardage the OP stated. I pointed out that IF he gets into long range shooting/hunting, he WILL want more or a true long range rifle, capable of much greater accuracy than can be found from standard factory rifles. I even pointed out some of the necessary tools required to attain long range accuracy. Not once did I suggest that the OP chose a specific rifle, or state he should chose a true long range rifle. I simply provided information so the OP can make a more educated choice. But hey, I get what your really saying, and I'm coll with that.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
Adam, I am unfamiliar with Diablo Custom Rifles, how about telling us how they compare to Bullseye Precision and NW Action Works?[FONT=&quot] I get that Diablo provide an impressive 1/2 MOA guarantee, but what are other features that make Diablo stand out?[/FONT]

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
how expensive would building a decent 700 in 6.5 creamer be? as a rough estimate. Magpie is selling what looks to be a great deal on a rem700 stock

adam32

Reaction score
how expensive would building a decent 700 in 6.5 creamer be? as a rough estimate. Magpie is selling what looks to be a great deal on a rem700 stock
Right now we are running a special for $325 that includes truing/lapping of your action and threading/chambering a barrel you supply. So if you bought a barrel it would be around $525 for the rebarrel job.

I haven't used a Magpul stock yet but they look decent. For the price a Bell and Carlson is hard to beat.

adam32

Reaction score
Adam, I am unfamiliar with Diablo Custom Rifles, how about telling us how they compare to Bullseye Precision and NW Action Works? I get that Diablo provide an impressive 1/2 MOA guarantee, but what are other features that make Diablo stand out?
I've never heard of Bullseye so I can't comment there. I've heard of NW Action works but haven't seen any of their stuff in person.

Ryan has worked for the big names in the business; Christensen, Gunwerks and Best of the West so that quality of rifle is what Diablo will supply.

We are using Lone Peak Arms actions made to our specs.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
Get a Savage action and build the rifle yourself. This way you can order a custom barrel and install it yourself w/o sending it to a smith. You are NOT doing any long range competition so a Savage action will work for you. I have personally shot a 2.5" 5 shot group at 600yds with a Savage action and custom barrel. Believe me you will get hooked. :)

Oh and the rifle/scope is only 50% of what you need. The other 50% will be in reloading. You'll probably spend more time reloading than shooting.

I know you said you will only shoot out to 400-500yds but after awhile those ranges will be like 50yds. Just remember that 700yds is the "magic" distance. Anything after that range will require the utmost in reloading accuracy and wind reading. This is why I won't poke at anything beyond 700yds.

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
Oh and stay away from magnums. Your accuracy will suffer after about 1200 rds. 1200rds is a lot you say? Well once you reload/shoot for long range your round count will creep up real fast. If you really only plan on shooting out to 500yds then stick with the 308. Next would be the 6.5 CM...

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
Most long range rifles (non military) are based on a Rem 700 action. The actions are machined to accept a longer projectile (the case and bullet) ( the technical term just wont come to me at the moment), so that much heavier bullets can be used; bullets that are significantly more accurate at longer distances (1000 + yards).
A custom barrel will often have a custom chamber. Meaning you give your smith a loaded (w/o powder,primer) round to the exact length you want and they will chamber that for you. Only problem with this is that your new loaded round may not fit your magazine as it could be too long. :)

Those LONG Berger bullets are much too long for standard custom barrels. Ideal loaded round is one where the base of bullet is at the shoulder/neck junction of the brass AND it must fit in your chamber.

Top Bottom