need help deciding on a new rifle

slowpoke

Reaction score
I have a Sako Tecomante in 270 WSM and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I don't shoot well generally, but have shot quite a few <0.5" 5 shot groups with factory ammo using this rifle. I'm pretty sure the Sakos come with a 5 shot 1 moa guarantee. I'm not a long range target guy, but for what you described that rifle should perform very well...also not discounting the opinions above just stating my experience with Sako rifles

A31guy

Reaction score
Check out the tikka t3 308 just got one with vortex scope probably weights about 7 lbs with scope

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
I shoot a Browning 30/06 A bolt 2 SS with the BOSS system, and love it, I am not into long range shooting though 300 yrds is good for me. The sweet of it is the ability to tune the harmonics of the barrel to the rounds being shot, The last time I looked I they were still installed them on certain Cal. rifles. Just another option to looks at, the reviews are Love to Hate no in be tweens.

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
Probably more confused now then you were before huh?
Well lets here your two cents! What long range rifle do you shoot? at what range? and with what accuracy?
Help out the OP provide some non-confusing info, Share that wealth of knowledge

#1Predator

Reaction score
A Wyoming friend of mine bought one of these last year in 260 Remington (same as 6.5 Creedmore but a little bit more powder capacity):

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

This is shown as a left hand model but they have a right hand model as well. He (and his daughter - he might be buying another rifle!) loves it. It's used mainly for WY deer, elk and antelope. He handloads and is able to get sub-minute accuracy right out of the box. He uses Lapua brass (very expensive but heavy duty brass) with Berger 140gr. VLD hollow point boattail bullets. He claims many foolish coyotes have thought they were safe at 500-600 yards. Unfortunately, the Berger bullet is lead so we would have to go with a Barnes or Hornady 120gr lead-free bullet.

k_rad

Reaction score
I have to say x2 on the Tikka. I looked at the Sakos and was about to pull the trigger when I was overwhelmed by the reviews on the Tikka line ( made in the Sako factory btw .) I am supper glad I did. my first trip to the range I saw sub 1"moa at 100 yds with factory ammo and laser bored scope. I hope to see 5-600 yds (and it is for hunting) but I want to use as much long range shooting technique as I can manage. Without turning it into another$$$ hobby. (which is where the reloading path is taking me, not surprisingly) I ended up going with a Leupold VX3i scope with the CDS so when I do get my bullet dialed in I can get a custom turret to help get me there. I did a lot of research and read a bunch of long range shooter books. I realized I had to make a decision. If I was really going to go long range (as in at the range with probably a Rem 700 action and custom barrel and a different caliber) or hunting which for me "ethically" would never be past 600 yds. max. my 2cents
KR

OPAH

Banned
Reaction score
OP Original Poster, Not Opah your welcome

adam32

Reaction score
Well if I must.....I used to shoot a 30-06 once upon a time (in a different state) but then again I don't believe in shooting anything at 500 yards or further.. Just my opinion which I am entitled too....Shooting animals at those rages is not a fair chase as most guys would use shooting sticks or a bench to make that kind of a shot. I have long since given up deer hunting plus I would rather hunt waterfowl any day with a dog then shoot another deer.. Yes I said another deer...
Now if I was going to purchase a long range rifle I would start by finding out WHAT I LIKED and I would buy WHAT I LIKE...
With this post the poor guy now has so many options he is probably really more confused now then before that is all I was saying..

I like the fact you refer to yourself as the "OP" that is pretty funny...

Shooting sticks or a bench? LMAO so using shooting sticks should be illegal in your eyes?

Mr. Luckypants

Reaction score
Oh man I hate shooting sticks and bench. I prefer to shoot while hopping on one leg. You know...gives me a better chance at wounding at animal.

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
He is 7Mallards, back again and of course at it again. He was banned under 7Mallards. It looks like he has signed up with more than one screen name this time around.

Bankrunner

Reaction score
He is 7Mallards, back again and of course at it again. He was banned under 7Mallards. It looks like he has signed up with more than one screen name this time around.
That's a pretty good guess little man!
It's kinda funny that I was thinking thinking the same.

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
Im intrigued on this offer, what would your opinion be for a caliber if the biggest animal i would take is a elk maybe but mainly deer, but capable of shooting long distances if i do get into (what sounds like a addictive and expensive sport).

adam32

Reaction score
Im intrigued on this offer, what would your opinion be for a caliber if the biggest animal i would take is a elk maybe but mainly deer, but capable of shooting long distances if i do get into (what sounds like a addictive and expensive sport).
Elk at what range? Deer are pretty easy to kill out to half a mile with many different cartridge choices. Elk on the other hand are a different story...

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
If you include Elk in the menu. I'll go with 7 mag. Be warn. it is an addicting sports ..

jbcaptain11

Reaction score
Right now we are running a special for $325 that includes truing/lapping of your action and threading/chambering a barrel you supply. So if you bought a barrel it would be around $525 for the rebarrel job.

I haven't used a Magpul stock yet but they look decent. For the price a Bell and Carlson is hard to beat.

ill send you guys a email

Top Bottom