• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

Need help for Kelso Peak Old Dad Mts Sheep hunt

bigshot

Hello, my buddy got drawn for the sheep tag in the Kelso Peak / Old Dad Mts unit (Lucky ol'man, lol). My buddy does not have a lot of money to hire a guide, so he requested I help him find his Ram!! I'm just as exited as he is, just getting invited to be part of a once of a lifetime hunt is way cool. Anyway I have never hunted sheep and was wondering if anyone knows where we can start looking, you can PM me if you prefer. I would really appreciate any help thanks.

Aught-SixGuy

Better get scouting now! Trail cams, topo maps, find other hunters who had success there. I would seriously consider a guide.

Last edited:

Moonshine

Congrats to your buddy! I know you guys are good, well seasoned hunters, that will do plenty of scouting to make it a successful hunt. All though there is a place for guides, if I drew, I would love to make it a DIY hunt myself. Good luck and let me know if ya'll need a extra set of eye's to help locate a great ram. I'm sure it will be an awesome hunt!

BAJA

Contact Cliff from Drycreek outfitters (559) 561-3640. He is very helpful. Look at his web site. He has photos of sheep they have taken off that mountain

Its a once in a lifetime hunt, hire a guide. San Gorgonio Wilderness Outfitters has an outstanding record in the Old Dads/Kelso unit.. Give Terry Anderson a call and he will set your friend up for success.

bigshot

Thanks for the input boys, I put my buddy in contacted with Terry Anderson.

Hey Moonshiner if my buddy decides to go with a DIY hunt, your more than welcome to join us. Thanks for stepping up partner.

rick7m

Congrats to your friend! If you don't have the time to scout or alot of time to hunt I would go with a guide. If you have the time and the resources to do it yourself then I would definetly go that way. It is a great hunt and you will have the time of your life. I drew in 2001 and have helped a couple of friends since then and I would be happy to tell you what I know about the area. Give me a call if you want to talk. 209-536-0517 Good Luck!

bigshot

Hey bubblehide, I got your PM but for some reason I can not reply or send you a PM, I'll let you know what my buddy decides to do. thanks

slanttop357

Hi bigshot have you read anything about the disease that is killing and spreading through that large herd in the old dad mountains, i just finished reading a few articles, there are a couple numbers of the biologists that study that herd, maybe they could be helpful in some way good luck with the hunt. I typed in (where to find big horn in the old dad mountains, ca) and all the articles about dead bighorn sheep popped up.

bigshot

Hey slanttop, yea I'm aware of the problem guess it might get very ugly before the season even opens.

Bubblehide

Hey bubblehide, I got your PM but for some reason I can not reply or send you a PM, I'll let you know what my buddy decides to do. thanks
Yeah, I was unaware that my inbox was full. I did make some room, so the problem should be solve, for a bit.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Terry is the guy to hook up with. Take out a loan if you have to since it's a lifetime tag.

Terry, how is tha Hathaway fire affecting the San G sheep? I don't recall seeing them in that area but that was years back when I worked at SNow Peak and Little San G. Thanks. I'm also looking for the group of 4 rams that was hangin west of Forest Falls 2 years ago. I heard they are near the Jumpoff now. Can you PM me if you know where they are, I'd like to film them again.

bobby7321

In the end I think it would be more rewarding to take a ram DIY in my opinion. An outfitter will boost your chances at a big ram but I think you have pretty good chances at a decent ram going DIY with a few buddies. Talk to a biologist and others who have hunted the area. Most of the time they will be happy to help you out. In the end whats more important, the score? or the satisfaction of doing it on your own?

bigshot

Thanks for the comment bobby, I feel the same way. I have been calling the biologist for info. Beleive me, if my buddy had the money and do it the easier way by hiring a guide he would, but he is retired and living on a fixed income. I have two kids in college, so can't finace his hunt either or I would if I had the money. I'm lucky to be able to hunt Wyoming for antelope this year. My wife is OK with me paying for his gas to drive up there and scout/hunt so that is what will do.

Top Bottom