Need Help in D6

Young Tenderfoot

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to this site and was wondering if anyone could help me out, maybe tell me what we are doing wrong. My friend and I have hunted D6 for the last 4yrs and neither of us have bagged a buck. We hunt just below Yosemite Park near Chowchilla Mtn, usually camp at Summit or Pilot Peak campgrounds.

The only buck I have seen (during the season) was right after a rainey nite, he ran across the front of my truck, I jumped out and got off a shot but missed. I heard it takes a storm to move the deer but all we see are does, more does and does. (sometimes a spicke) We hike around alot but always run into hunters, we have tried sitting but no luck either. I once sat on a cliff for two days with binos but did not see a single buck. We have seen bucks hangng in other camps so we know they are around but still can't connect.

This year I have a quad runner, will try covering more ground. My PU is only 2WD so that makes it tough if the roads are muddy, getting stuck is no fun - been there! Does anyone have some suggestions as to where to hunt in D6? Are there better areas? We heard about Crocker Ridge and Cheery resevoir to the north, we live near Chowchilla.

Thanks,

Tenderfoot

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Try an area north of Cherry Lake, the Southern end of the Emigrant Wilderness, and a place called Hell's Mountain. I haven't been there in a while but plan on checking it out after the opener. Get as far away from roads as possible. It's difficult to get a decent buck while bailing out of a vehicle.

Young Tenderfoot

Reaction score
tmoniz,

Thanks for the reply, I looke on the map and saw the area. Not much info on the net on it. I'm just wondering why the woods seem so dead when deer season comes around? I hear a few shots on the opener and the last weekend. Do these bucks lay low in the brush? Where do they go? They have to eat and water yet they are not around at all. I'm pretty disapponited but when you raed the success rate for D6, I gusee I'm not alone!

We are planning a trip for Cherry lake, going to scout and maybe hunt up there this year. I've only hunted deer for about 4yrs, have only a few friend's advice to go on. There is one fellow at Summit camp who has a buck hanging every season but he is retired so he can hunt all week. I have vacation time so maybe that is what it takes, less hunters during the week too.

Young Tenderfoot

MULEY51

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Tenderfoot...can't help you with D6, but wanted to welcome you to the site. You'll find lots of info and some very funny people here. Welcome aboard!

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
I hunt D6 during the week after the opener. I try to get up as high as my legs can stand away from other hunters and roads. Careful up near Cherry lake due to being so close to the Park. Try to concentrate on the wilderness area north of there. That way you don't butt heads with the Rangers. Hell"s Mountain could be rewarding later in the season if snow storms start up high.

BDB

Reaction score
After the flood of people and opening day volley of gun fire many of the deer, especially the large bucks, head for HEAVY cover. Many of them go mostly nocturnal as well. They will move far from the road into very thick and steep terrain. Get up high and get back off the roads, that will help. Keep at it. I had 3 seasons of tag soup in CA until this year when I finally connected. Keep your chin up and keep covering ground, it will happen.

Schoettgen

Reaction score
The woods are dead compared to 20 years ago, and to make matters worse, acording to a biologist my friend talked to the Adenovirus of about 10 years ago is back in D6 and killing deer once again. Depending upon how widespread the outbreak is it may make for a tough year. Hopfully some deer have built up an immunity to it. In general there are two types of deer in D6, those that migrate and those that don't. Down in the lower country and in the lower canyons you can find resident deer that stay there all year long. Some of these populations have the zones biggest deer, but most are on private ground. The rest of the deer will migrate and be found from 6000 feet on up. There are exceptions, but if you are hunting the mid elevations early most of the deer are above or below you. When the days shorten the deer will migrate , storms or not. If there are no storms the migration is sort of a nocturnal trickle, just a little at a time, most all will be down by mid November. If it storms they may all come down at once, and much of the movement will be during the day. When this happens the area you are hunting now can be very good. Unfortunatly you can't count on weather during hunting season. Some years you get it some years you don't.

dusty20

Reaction score
Hunt as high and as far back that you are willing to carry out a deer, you will have alot better chance or wait until the second week end and you will have most of the forest to your self.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom