Need help learning how to Cast

Shot

Reaction score
I didn't know what forum to put this in, so I picked this one

Ok, so I finally went and bought me a fly rod (G. Loomis set up). I want to learn how to properly cast before I make a fool out of myself. I have read up on some stuff and have been practicing in my yard. How did you guys learn? any helpful ideas? How about talking casting classes?
Thanks

Farallon

Reaction score
I started fly fishing with a buddy, he had a season or two on me. I didn't do well with his instruction so I went to a local fly shop and for ($20-40?) I got an hour of instruction at the park down the street.

In my area, the local fly fisher's club has a night each week at a local pond, they give instructions there.

I also purchased a Lee Wolf (sp?) video and cut down rod, I think I got this from Cabelas.

tmoniz

Banned
Reaction score
Tape your arm to the rod grip to keep your wrist from bending. The false cast is from 10 o'clock to 2 o'clock. Do not cast with your wrist but with your shoulder and elbow. While practicing watch your back cast and notice when the line starts to flatten. You want to push the line forward. Make sure you place the rod tip down only when you want that cast to place the line on the water. Try not to whip.
It's a lift and push process.

There are alot of fly fishing shows on ESPN and OLN Fridays and Saturdays so you can get an idea of the process.

Lessons would be good and also having someone video you will allow you to review your method. Take your time with the cast and let the weight of the line against the tip of the rod do the work.

In my fly fishing travels I've noticed over the years (40), (I started when I was 13), many people do not Know how to work the line or are shy about working the fly line. For the Owens River, as an example, I went from a 9 foot 5/6 weight to a 7' 6" and an 8' 3 weight and 7 and a half 6x leaders for both dry and nymph.

If you go there you will notice a large majority of fisherman will only get out about 3 to five feet of line a 9 foot leader with a fuzzy indicator and a little weight to get the nymph down. Very little effort is put into the cast. And little line is utilized. So the range of water you cover is limited.

The hardest cast will be from a float tube. If you get interested in this here is a simple drill. Sit flat on your butt in the backyard. Lift the line off the grass, bring your arm up high to about 1 o'clock allowing the line behind you to go to about 45 degree's and then push it forward.

There are several guide services in Mammoth Lakes that have fishing trips designed specifically for the novice and first timer. Once you hook that first fish on a fly rod you'll never want to stop.

bighorn67

Reaction score
Hey Shot,

I'm going to be back in CA from tomorrow til tuesday. I live in Highland Park. I'd be glad to get with you and show you some of the basics. The Pasadena casting pool is not far from me. Send me an email through the forum and we'll set a time.

Dave

hronk

Reaction score
If you get up in the Bishop area, e mail me. I'll help you out.....Fritz; Crowleys pretty good right now. Are you and the family planning any more trips up here this summer? hronk

Reaction score
Hey Dave:

Let me know when you'll be up at the pond at Arroyo Seco...maybe I'll meet you there too. I need some practice on my short casting. being a steelheader...I always want to throw too much line out!!! Maybe I can get some pointers from you.

Hope you're enjoying your trek! I've seen some of your pics along the way!

See ya!

Tim

Latest Posts

Top Bottom