Need HELP troubleshooting

jayber

Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to wire up the Radio Shack #49-425 PIR and can't get my LED light to go out (or the relay to work).  This is what I've got:  From the red speaker wire,  connected to LED red & one side of coil (red).  From black speaker wire to LED black and other side of coil (black).  From (red) coil lead to Pin #2.  From (black) coil lead to battery negative.  Diode across red & black coil wires with cathode on red (positioned in between #2/neg. & coil contacts). Black wire from relay to camera common.  Red wire from relay to camera auto focus/shutter.

Does that sound correct?  I've got power across my coil, but don't hear it trip.  Does it matter which side of the coil I connect (+)?  What else can I do or try?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome jayber,

It sounds like you have the wiring correct. Try just hooking up the relay and diode to see if it is tripping, there should be a short on the normally open contacts. If not, test the relay by just hooking voltage to the relay coil and test the contacts for a short.

You can test the LED the same way. One thing to be aware of, when you have the sensor out of the housing the sensor can see movement in a large field of view. Try putting it back into the housing while testing so it only sees movement in front of it.

If all this doesn't help, try wiring the LED to the speaker wires and wiring the relay to pin#2 of the large IC. There is instructions on how to do this on the homebrew camera webpage.

jayber

Reaction score
Thx spectr17, but you confuse me on a couple of things you said.  Bare with me, I'm not an electronics guru. :eek:)

When you first mention hooking up the relay and diode to check if it is tripping, what do you mean exactly, in the complete circuit or by itself?  Because you then mention checking it with voltage to it directly.  Either way, with voltage across the coil there is a short across the switch. Shouldn't it close?

Next you mention wiring the LED to the speaker wires and relay to pin #2.  One picture from the instructions says to wire the relay at the speaker wires.  A second picture says to use pin #2.  I took it as BOTH.  Do I have this wrong......should it be one or the other?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
jayber,

When you energize a relay that has normally open contacts you get a short or closure of the contacts. You can do this by just hooking up  a battery to the relay coil contacts and it will enrgize the relay.

If you wire the relay coil contacts to the speaker wires the relay will make a chiming noise since there is AC voltage on the wires. It's barely audible. Some people didn't like this so we found another place to hook up the relay coil contacts. Also, one or two people said they had trouble using the speaker wires for the relay, most of us had no poblem using the speaker wires but I put both up just in case. It should be one or the other, not both.

jayber

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help Spectr17.  Got the camera up and running yesterday and will be putting it out in the field this week.  FYI - I did have trouble for some reason when I connected to pin #2, but it seems to work great wired into the speaker connections.  Will have to wait a few weeks for the real proof (pics).  Thanks again!!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Great news Jayber. :)  For some reason pin#2 works for some peeps and not for others. No one has figured out why yet but there must be some slight electrical differences in the Radio Shack boards.

Some guys like the relay chiming because it makes the animal look at the camera better. If you don't like the sound, stuff the relay in a 35mm plastic film  canister you have from your film and stuff it full of cotton to kill the chiming sound.

Data

Reaction score
Jesse, did the picture for modifying the RS sensor change. The arrow that points to pin 2 on the IC chip use to be on the opposite side from where it is now. I printed the picture out back when I tried to wire mine off of pin 2 and I am almost positive it pointed to the other side. This is why I could not get it to work. I wired it wrong. Thanks, Data

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Yes Data, when I drew that arrow I went a little wild and drew it too long. Randy pointed out the error about a week ago. Sorry about that.

There is a pic under the section  "Electronic Crash Course" on the Homebrew Webpage that shows how to tell IC pin numbers. With the little dot or notch on the IC on top, the number one pin is to the immediate left.

Data

Reaction score
No problem Jesse. I had made a few post stating that I could not get it to work off of pin 2 and I did not want to provide false info. My first DataCam is in the woods right now. I will check it this weekend. Thanks, Data

jayber

Reaction score
Wondering what kind of range people are getting from their PIR's.  Also, does anybody narrow the angle that the PIR senses?  I was concerned that the spread angle of the PIR is greater than what the camera can pick up.  So, I put a 1.5" tall collar extending outward from my box around the sensor/lense.  That gives me a range of 14 yards while narrowing the PIR.  I'm considering shortening the collar to see if I will gain range....and I can stand to have the PIR angle be a bit wider too.  Don't know if anybody has an optimum already figured out or do I really need to worry about it?

Data

Reaction score
jayber, I used a 1" hole for my RS sensor beam to pass through. I found through testing that this was still to wide, so I narrowed the hole with tape. I only get about 14 yards in range. Did you mount the RS board in your box or did you leave it the case that it came in. If you mounted it in your box then I was told that adjusting the distance from the lens to the sensor will effect the distance the sensor will reach to. I know some people are getting 50 to 60 feet with there sensors. I could not get over 45.

jayber

Reaction score
It says that Data posted, but I am unable to view the last one.  Is anybody else having this same problem?  If you responded to my post Data I did not get it.......enter it again plzzzz.

gizz

Reaction score
Jayber - Try pressing refresh when this happens. It occasionally happens to me also. Data's post was on page 2 maybe you weren't looking there? Hope you got the info you needed.
gizz

jayber

Reaction score
Finally got it work work.....operator error.  Saaaawwrrryyy

Advertisement

Top Bottom