Need help w/ Coyote huntin!

Sullie

Reaction score
I have a electronic game caller and hav'nt had any luck w/ the coyotes yet. What sound is best to use this time of year? Also, do you turn the volume up and leave it up or do you turn it up and down? Any help would be appreciated!

Kernhuntr

Reaction score
Sullie, welcome to Jesse's. Glad to have you aboard.

I've never used an electric caller...but hang around there are guys here that have and know what they are talking about.

Kernhuntr

EVAN III

Reaction score
   Sullie,

In my own limited experience, If you are in wide open areas it might be better to start off with the volume turned up. Unless you have glassed up a yote and he is not to far off. In heavy cover you also may want to start with the volume, as the cover will block out alot of the noise. Once you see a yote, and if you have a remote, you may want to back the volume off a bit, or kill it altogether. Once you see the yote you can, most of the time, use a rodent sqeeker to coax them in closer. I f you don't have a sqeeker, you can use the back of your hand and make sqeeking sounds with your mouth. This will also help to stop them if they are running. Another thing you can do to stop them if they are running is whistle at them like you would a dog. As to what call to use, you can never go wrong with a rabbit in distress, if you know the area,. or have seen cottontails use the cottontail. If you have seen Jacks in the area use Jack rabbit. If you are not fimilar with the area and have not seen any rabbits. I would say use your best judgement.

Oh ya and welcome to the board!!!!!

EVAN III

usahunter

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
sullie, you don't mention how experienced you are, so assuming you are fairly new let's consider these option's : are you fully cammo'ed ? including facemask and glove's? facing into the wind, no movement, you're in their living room and they will pick up the slightest movement, sit in front of something that obscures your profile, make sure that there are coyote's in the area, you can be the best caller in the world , but, if there's nothing to come to the call your wasteing your time,I mention the above because in my opinion many varmint hunter's think that nothing is responding to their calling , when most time's the varmint has seen, heard or smelled them before having to show itself, I start off low volume after waiting about 15 min. for the area to calm down,then increase to full, then back down to low, most dying animal's change their volume as pain increase's or decrease's, I also use a decoy , when they hear the squealing , but don't see a silloute (sp) they get a little shy, actually I created a decoy that is cheap and move's so when the see the movement they lock onto it and you can still make mistake's and sometime's they won't notice. I have had good luck with many call's , but best luck with grey fox pup, don't ask me why, maybe it's just something vulnerable that they haven't heard before, hope this info help's, usahunter

songdog

Reaction score
A cottontail tape is pretty hard to beat just about any time of the year. Best thing to do is get out and try it. The more time you put in the quicker you'll learn all those little tricks that really make a difference when you put them all together.

I'd cast a vote for the soft calling early and then turn the volume up. If you've done your part and snuck into your stand quietly, you'd be amazed at how quickly a coyote can cover 100 yards or so. They can be on top of you in no time. Starting softly may keep from scaring those close ones away. Then again, they may just think it's a 55lb rabbit.

Good luck!

crookramba

Reaction score
If you aren't having any luck with the rabbit call try a lamb or woodpecker call also sometimes if you put up one of those kites that look like a crow above the area you are using the call in this sometimes will bring in the most call wary yotes.They will try and beat the crow to the free meal. I have had good results with this in the past.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom