need help with Battery power

kodiak76

Reaction score
hello i made a homemade cam with the motion sensor you get from walmart the one that is used for the driveway lights, well anyways i have 4 nine volt batteries and a race car battery in the box with the cam and after a week all of them were dead i was wondering could i hook up a 12 volt car battery to it or will it burn up the sensor or cam

gizz

Reaction score
Holy cow kodiak76, that's a lot of juice.
You can use 12V lead acid(gel cell's) or you could do the low power mods to the MS20 that your using and a 9v should last months of "on" time. If you prefer not to i have some 1.2Amp Gel Cell's I'll sell you. They last about 4 weeks before needing recharged. You can use a car battery charger if it has a trickle charge built in.
I'm gonna do the low power mods to all mine and will have the 1.2 amp gel's for sale (about 6 of them) and they are a little over a year old. These batt's are about 2" X 2" X 4" in size. I can get the exact specs if you want them. $5/ea + shipping. Anyone?

BTW, are you using the mainstays wm2(MS20) sensor?

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi kodiak,
That is a lot of batts!  You don't have those assorted batts all hooked up together, do you??  If so, you should NEVER hook up different types of batteries in series (or batts with different levels of charge).

Anyway - if you wanted to, you could hook up a 12 volt marine diesel battery to your sensor (as long as the volage isn't over the max for the sensor - you're OK).  The ability of a battery to deliver current will have no effect on the powered circuit (usually!!)  Current draw is (usually) determined by the powered circuit - not the battery itself.

Archilochus

kodiak76

Reaction score
thanks for the replys but i really think my sensor fried i used a good battery today and the sensor does not kick on will the summer heat harm the sensor or did i fry the sensor with all those batterys hooked up if so how many of what type of battery do i use and yes all those batterys are hooked up together

bikehike

Reaction score
Hey Kodiac

I use the same sensor and I don't have any problems with batteries. I use the 9.6 volt race car battery because they are rechargeable and they last for a long time. I'm assuming that you made the correct modifications to the sensor "changing the relay, 12v -> 9v"? Try using just one 9.6 volt battery once you get the sensor working again.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi kodiak,
Generally, hooking batts up together improperly will only damage the batts (assuming the '+' and '-' were hooked to your circuit right).  How did you have all the batts connected?? '+' to '+' (parallel) or '+' to '-' (series)??
If you had '+' to '-' series connection - you would have been powering your circuit with 5x 9.5volts - 47.5 volts!  That certainly could kill the circuit.

As gizz suggested, a small 12volt lead-acid 'gel-cell' batt is good - or the 9volt race-car batt by itself would work.
A pair or three of 9 volt alkalines with '+' to '+' (parallel connection) would also work - but would be the most expensive way!

Archilochus

kodiak76

Reaction score
ok i rechecked the sensor and it was not bad i had a dead battery one i thought was good, i have a 9.6 volt race car battery you think i should use just that one, how long will that battery last and does the sensor use power all the time or just when something triggers it

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi kodiak,
That's the first rule of "home-brewing" trail-cams: ALWAYS check the batteries first! :)

The sensor is ON all the time.  I'd just use the race-car batt - bikehike should be able to supply you with some info on how long it will last.

Archilochus

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If its the MS20. I used to get a week out of a standard 9-volt battery. With Jons mods, that's increased to about 6 months. It should last a pretty good while.

Possum

Reaction score
I had trouble last summer with the 9 volt battery and the MS20 (or the Wal Mart sensor).  I went to a 6 volt lantern battery.  The amperage is the key.  6 volts will power the MS20 and the amperage in the lantern battery runs my MS20 a long, long, long time.  When I made the switch in Dec last year, I don't believe I changed the batteries till Feb.

Went back and researched Tinhorn's reply to my ? and came up with this:  A 6 volt lantern battery will power a MS20 for about 5 months of continuous use on paper.  I expect to get at least 3 months use out of the 6volt.  The only drawback is the size, but it fit great in the ammo boxes I am using.

(Edited by Possum at 9:01 pm on July 3, 2002)

davered1

Reaction score
If you swap the 9V relay over to a 5V relay you can run the board on a 6V supply (4C,4D,4AA) whatever. 4 C cell will last 2 months easy!!

easy mod to do this(compliments of tinhorn)

Latest Posts

Top Bottom