Need help with Lamson

chili

Reaction score
Hey Ya'll,
    This is my first post.  Been reading the board for a few weeks. I'm going try my first cam using the Owl PF Date and the Lamson PIR. Would appreciate any tips from Lamson users. Also would enjoy seeing pictures of cams from those of you who have used the Lamson.(Don't see any on Jesses board) Hope that's not a bad sign.  I bought the Lamson because I read here that it was easy to hook-up and I bought it on clearance for $9.50. Lastly, do you need to use the silicon diode with the Lamson. I read that you do with the RS but don't with the Regent.  Thanks for your help.

max

Reaction score
Where did you get the Lamson for 9.95? I'll try to send some pictures of my units.I also use the Lamson, Its a great PIR(very sensitive)
                                MAX

Gator

Reaction score
I also use the Lamson it is the easiest to hook up in my opinion.  You can use it straight out of the box.  All you have to do is solder a wire to the inside of the socket and one to the bottom of the socket. And then run those wires to a jack that you will plug your camera into and your in business. Max is right it is very sensitive, (it is almost too sensitive) you have to be carefull where you set it up because birds will trip it and it will also pick up deer out of flash range. So you will have to try and limit the distance that it can see.  Another suggestion, if you put and on/off switch on your unit don't hook it up to the pir, only hook it to the camera where you can dissable the camera. The reason is when you first turn on the Lamson it takes 10 minutes to do it's initial setup, and it uses very little power so I never turn mine off. It has been running on the same 9v battery all season.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Hello chili and welcome to the forums

i pretty much use nothing but the Lamson P.I.R. units nowadays and i really like them for several reasons.

great battery life
more range than the RS 49-425
ease of hooking up
fairly sensitive to movement

i build a timer to use with mine that utilizes a 4 second delay between pics and also utilizes the L.E.D. circuit to shine the light for the whole 4 seconds while in the test mode as this makes it easier to see than just a fast blink from most setups

with my setup when you first turn the power on and then turn the camera on it does NOT fire a pic like some folks have said theirs do, guess i have mine wired different.....hehehe
the trick to it not wasting a pic on powering up is simple, turn on the power first then wait about 3 minutes or so BEFORE turning on the camera to arm it ready for a pic,

then it is ready for a pic when motion or heat is sensed and will take a pic just as it is supposed to do

i am working on some detailed pic's that show my setup and hope to have a few soon to post

here's a pic of one of my cams with a Lamson unit inside with the Canon PF camera and 4 second timer,
notice the L.E.D. in the lower left corner and i also use covered switches that are on the bottom of the unit but are not visible due to how i had it propped up to take the pic . you can see the switches below in the next pic

here is another showing the inside of the cam unit with the Lamson P.I.R.

i also utilize a battery strength meter in my cam units to let me keep check on how my batteries are holding up,(you can see it in the pic above)

hope this help a little and good luck with your cam

Later,

chili

Reaction score
Thanks guys for responding.
Max, I bought my Lamson at Home Depot on clearance.  Got lucky-bought the last one they had.
Gator, do you have any pictures of your set-up?  I've been planning to go by Jesse's instructions but I would be interested in seeing how you do it.
Gun Docc, I'm looking forward to seeing your pics. Thanks for the info.  But what is that silicon diode for and do I need to use it with the Lamson?

max

Reaction score
Here is a Picture of some of my set ups with the lamson unit.....

(Edited by max at 3:55 pm on Jan. 29, 2002)

Gator

Reaction score
No, Chille I don't have a pic of my setup. I have mine in an ammo can. It is quick and easy. I didn't use any diode or anything on mine. Like I posted earlier I hooked mine up straight out of the box. Max, I am curious on the cam that has the whole pir exsposed. How do you keep it from being triggered out of the view of the camera?  Do you have it taped off on the inside of the fresnal lens?

max

Reaction score
Gator,
 The smaller unit has the pir Liquid nailed to the housing of the camera box. I left the sensor as is(no tape)..Yes it is very sensitive leaving it like this...actually just lately started using electric tape on the fresnel lens to narrow done the sensor..I was getting a few extra mystery pictures? nothing actually visible in the pictures. The narrowing down of the Fresnel lens will help; I would suggest it
                                        MAX

Top Bottom