Need help with owl pf

4huntin

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify a question for me?  To wire the owl pf to be used independently, do I short out the 2 pins on the inside of the camera or not?  I'm using a 1/8" mini plug and don't know how to hook up the 3 wires going to the plug.  I've read the instructions on the web page and still am a little confused.  Any replies would be appreciated.    I'm building my first cam and need a little help.  New member!!  I like the forum!!!

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
If you want independent use, I would recomment a 3 wire hookup with a sterio, not mono, plug. If you are using a simple relay instead of a double opto for triggering, you could probibly short the shutter and autofocus wires togeather on the opposite side of the plug before reaching the 2 terminals of the relay and achieve the same as a 2 wire hookup without perminently shorting them in the camera itself. Hope this helps and didn't confuse.

bat

Reaction score
4huntin welcome to the forum.  The PF will work independently either way.  Wiring the 2 wire system you lose the focus or half shutter function but it still will take a picture independently this way.  Wiring the 3 wire system you maintain the function for  independently use but still do not have it for deercam use because the shutter button, focus and flash are all shorted in one instant.  You can use the 2 wire system and use the mini plugs but I think I remember reading that you need the 3 wire connection if you ever want to use one of the timer boards that some of the guys are building.  I use 3 wire systems on mine with telephone connectors using Green from the relay all the way to the #4 pin on the camera and solder all the other wires together before the telephone connector to the DPDT switch.  Then use either two of the three wires coming from the telephone conn. to the camera.  bat

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welcome 4huntin,

I agree with Bat, the cam will work independant either way but someday you may want to use the "Refresh" pulse which makes the camera snap a flash pix a little quicker because it keeps the Flash Circuit charged up and ready to go.  It's a lot easier to add the 3rd wire and bring the 2 terminal "Short" outside the camera now than to try to remove any glue, etc from the Owl PF housing and re-open the cam without damaging something....  (yanking the wires and traces off the cam's board is bad)

Tinhorn

4huntin

Reaction score
Thanks guys!  I may try the telephone cord instead of the plugs.  

Top Bottom