Need Hunting Help CA

mrpinski

Reaction score
Well I have been practicing and 3D shooting for months and want to go on a hunting trip soon. I just have no Idea where all the public hunting grounds are here in SoCal. What do I need to get started? I have all the equipment needed to hunt. I just want to know locations or general areas and how to go about getting a hunting license. It seems like anyone I ask over at the range I shoot at likes to keep these things a secret. This is why I joined the forum. Maybe someone can help me out?

If anyone cares, I shoot a 2009 Fred Bear Lights Out Dark Horse with a 29'' draw length and a 70lbs pull.

Shot

Reaction score
First, get your hunter Ed. permit. You can take the class at a number of locations, most popular places in SoCal are Turners and Angeles shooting range. Once you get your permit walk into Big 5 (or any hunting related store) and buy a hunting license. With the license alone you can hunt predators, varmints, and rabbits. If you want to hunt anything else you will have to buy a stamp or a tag specific for that species.

Get yourself the Hunting Digest magazine put out by DFG, it will help you out a lot and a great place to start. Make sure you know the law before you head out, a ticket from a warden will leave a bad taste in your mouth (not a good way to start). If you have anyother questions just post them up.

As far as specific locations to hunt. No one is going to give up their spot. Just get out there put in the time and you will run into plently of animals. Most of the national forest is open to hunting, but the best advice anyone can give you is get away from the roads as far as you can.

Good luck.

blazintowers

Reaction score
good info from shot! also read as many of these post on here as you can, there is a wealth of info on these pages. find a nice vantage point and sit before the sun comes up and glass, glass, glass...that alone is a hell of an experience even if no game is sighted! you eventually will spot the game.

superduty

Reaction score
To add to Shot's comments I thought I would let you know that the hunter ed permit he talks about can be purchased at Turners Outdoors or a few other places. With that you can schedule your class.

Raully

Reaction score
Were do you live? Maybe one of us can point you in the right direction.

mrpinski

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Shot! I actually went bowfishing today and loved that! Now I have to get out there!

sportyg

Reaction score
You should look to get an A11 or A31 tag. Those would be your closest places to hunt I would think. You will need to do a lot of scouting for those areas. There are also a lot of folks who hunt those zones.

easymoney

Reaction score
I hear there are lots of "dear" in hollywood... Just kidding.
Welcome and there is loads of info here on JHO and a great bunch of helpful folks. jesse has provided a great amount of info on the individual species, public land and regs with many links.
The public land in the southern part of CA is fairly concentrated in the national forests and BLM in the deserts. As has been stated a D11 or A31 tag are your closest areas to bow hunt. They like all areas near LA get hammered pretty hard so you will have to be able to go the extra miles to find some unpressured hunting. Go to the DFG website and check for left over tags available, as the drawings have taken place for all premium tags already. A zone and a few others never sell out and are OTC.
Good luck...

Latest Posts

Top Bottom