Need Information For Building A Press

Welby

I am planning to build a press to begin reloading 25-06 and 30-06 ammunition. Yes, I know that fairly affordable presses are available, but I have the materials on hand, the tools, and the skills to build a very good one that will cost me very little. Plus, I have a couple of ideas I would like to incorporate in my press that are a little different from ones I have seen. I have already ordered a set of dies from Lee Precision as well.

My problem is that there are very few to no places local where I can get much in the way of reloading supplies nor can I see the equipment in person. What I need are a few critical measurements that are general to probably most reloading presses. Let me make it clear, I am not attempting to make a copy of any specific commercially available press. As a matter of fact, the idea I have for my press is slightly different from any I have seen. Not radically different, just slightly different.

I have included a picture of a press below for illustration purposes only. If you have a press - it doesn't matter the brand or model so long as it can reload the calibers I mentioned above - would you mind sharing the dimensions of your press for me? You don't even have to tell me what brand or model your press is.

I would appreciate your help very, very much!

View attachment 88660

cjack

I admire your desire to improve on existing technologies. Ingenuity, innovation and the drive to follow our vision is an important part of who we are as humans. I applaud your efforts.

Here are the dimensions for my Lee Loader -
Support linkage - 4"
Depth of opening - 4 5/8"
Length of ram - 7 1/8"
Diameter of ram - 13/16"
Length of linkage to ram - 2 1/8"

Best of luck on your endeavor, this project intrigues me, please keep us posted on the progress and I'm looking forward to the final results!

Welby

Thank you so much, cjack! I appreciate your help. Yes, when I get it done, I will share my progress.

Let me ask another question, is there a particular reason all reloading presses have the ram on bottom and the die on top? Are there any made in which the ram is on top and the die is mounted in the ram? I had in mind to build mine with the ram on top with the die mounted in the end of the ram and have the bullet holder mounted stationary at the bottom of the frame. Is there some reason I should know about that they don't normally build them this way?

dtj6ppc

Thank you so much, cjack! I appreciate your help. Yes, when I get it done, I will share my progress.

Let me ask another question, is there a particular reason all reloading presses have the ram on bottom and the die on top? Are there any made in which the ram is on top and the die is mounted in the ram? I had in mind to build mine with the ram on top with the die mounted in the end of the ram and have the bullet holder mounted stationary at the bottom of the frame. Is there some reason I should know about that they don't normally build them this way?
How are you going to attach the dies to the ram and still access the seater stems and knock out adjusters without creating a huge monstrosity, that is the reason for the present developed designs................Don

adam32

How are you going to attach the dies to the ram and still access the seater stems and knock out adjusters without creating a huge monstrosity, that is the reason for the present developed designs................Don

^^^^ That...plus all the powder will fall out if the casing is upside down...:wavin hello:

Welby

Not having any experience with these, I didn't realize that you would have to adjust those things with the dies in place. I was thinking of making a hollow ram threaded on the end for the dies. Hhmmmm, but what you said makes sense.

Again, it was just an idea.

Welby

^^^^ That...plus all the powder will fall out if the casing is upside down...:wavin hello:
The casing wouldn't be upside down. The shell holder would be stationary in the bottom of the frame. The die would be on the end of the ram, facing downward. I was thinking I could make the ram work from top to bottom, instead of the conventional bottom to top like the others.

However, what Don mentioned made me realize at least one very important reason they are made that way.

solus

There is presses out there where the die moves down and the case is stationary but hkw mentioned it is easier to make adjustments if the dies are stationary. There is blue prints out there to make H style presses. Last i remember seeing them was on the castboolit forum. Usually those presses are much stronger than most commercial presses. But in the end commercial presses have an advantage where now many make it easier to change out dies without the need to readjust them when you put them back on. You can find used presses cheaper than you can make them. Ive bought single stage presses as cheap as $20 befote. Look at craigslist. They arent always sold under reloading press. Where are you located by the way?

Top Bottom