Need more hands

shufigo

Reaction score
OK, I realize the newbie will take many hits from you old timers, but I need some soldering help. I've got two unconnected wires (or one and a connection), a hot soldering iron and a strand of solder. All 4 have to come together at the same spot, at a controlled rate, for a controlled time, and likewise depart in a controlled manner. I'm fresh out of hands. What do you solder on, what do you use for clips....  help.....????

Cabin Fever Bob

Reaction score
I bought a couple of clips at the dollar store to act as a 3rd hand and even 4th hand! Clothes pins would probably even work. I use these especially when soldering 2 wires together. I clip a wire to the edge of the workbench, then do it again with the other wire and clip and just position the wires together and solder. That way I just have the solder in one hand and the iron in the other and the wires are held stationary where I want them by the clips. Works REAL nice! Can't imagine doing it any other way!

Archilochus

Reaction score
Wudda ya mean - you only have two??  ;-)

As CFB mentioned, the 'third hand' clips are great!  Also, if you need to solder several wires at one point, twist and solder them in pairs, then twist and solder the pre-soldered pairs, and so on.

Archilochus

LW

Reaction score
not very technical but when I wire a camera I scotch tape the wires in place then have 1 hand free for solder the other for the iron.  I haven't screwed one up yet.

MBullism

Reaction score
On the cams, when I tin the tips of the wires I intentionally leave a little ball of solder on the wire tip.  I place this over the spot it needs to be soldered and hold the iron in one hand and the wire in the other.  Place the wire where it needs to go and apply the iron.  Once the solder is molten and I think I've applied enough heat I can remove the iron and hold still the wire hand till the solder sets...  seven pfs and not a problem...

shufigo

Reaction score
Hey, thanks guys. I can imagine how much trial and error time and problems you've saved me. Damn this is a good site!!!

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
I new to this site but I've got to tell you guys I'm impressed at how much people here are willing to "help" others.  It speaks well of fellow sportsmen.

I've been scanning over the threads and instructions listed on the site and am planning on attempting a homebrew cam myself.  I've never done much electrical component work but with the notes you guys have posted helping "newbies" I'm sure I can get it done!

Scott

LW

Reaction score
Scott, I found it helpfull to print off pages and photographs and start a notebook, When I need to go back and see why I did something a particular way I just flip open the book rather than search the posts again. I have built 2 and starting 2 more, all different. It gets confusing if you don't keep up with it somehow.

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Yeah, I know what you mean LW.  I've printed so many pages and pics the last few days that I may spend more on ink cartridges than the homebrew  :)   Organization is well worth the effort.  I'm an engineer, just not an "electrical" one!

What type glue are you guys using on the leads ( to secure them in place ) after soldering them to the board?  I'm not familiar enough with circuit boards to know what is best, what would cause damage, etc.

Scott

RSB

Reaction score
What do you use to print out your pages, I have been using wordpad. Just wondering if there is any better,not having any problem with wordpad just asking.

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Scot, what type? I'm Civil/Structural.

Use hot glue, but use it sparingly. Use a 15 watt iron and .032 rosin core solder.

(Edited by ****** at 2:48 am on July 12, 2002)

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
RSB:  I am mainly trying to copy and paste pics, selected notes on threads, modifications etc. into MS Word.  Mine isn't very organized yet but I'm working on it.  Wordpad should work just as good for this purpose.  The biggest trouble that I'm having is keeping up with the latest modifications. The info is spread out over so many different message threads that I keep thinking that I'm missing something but, again, I'm new to the site so I'll find what I need.

Hill Topper:  Thanks for the info.  Is there a particular brand of hot glue that you prefer or is it all about the same?    A coincidence, my degree is in Civil with a structural emphasis.  Worked 5 years as a structural engineer but now work in Telecommunications in more of a manager/engineer position.  I don't do any structural work anymore.  Which school did ya go to?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
U of A, graduated in 1984 at the ripe old age of 31, P.E. in 1990. I did kind of the reverse, worked in industry first 4 years, a year with a consulting firm, opened my own in 1990. Never looked back, too afraid the guys in the little white coats were chasing me.

kmitch

Reaction score
Souther Style,

Welcome to JHP. Good to see a fellow MSU grad. I think you will find all the help you need here to complete a camera that will compete with anything you can buy.

I use a Quick Grip clamp like this CLAMP to hold circuit boards wires, etc. while I work. I have a small vise that clamps to my table. I put the tail of the clamp bar in the vise. Works really well. The soft jaws hold well but don't damage anything.

Keith
EE MSU Class of '71

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Nice to meet you guys!  Thanks Keith for the Quick Grip clamp suggestion.

Can you guys tell me what type voltmeter that is best for checking/working on these kinds of electronic components (what ranges do I need?)  Radioshack lists so many different types.  

Scott

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Shufigo,

I found this neat little device at Radio Shack today that might help you with "holding" the wires in place.  It's called the "Helping Hand" w/ a magnifying glass.  I bought one but haven't used it yet.  Looks like it will work just fine.  RS Part # 64-2063 for $9.99

Here's the link to it: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cata...%5Fid=64%2D2063

Well, I just found the exact same tool on All Electronics for $4.50 (5.49 cheaper what I paid for it today, hate it when that happens) CAT# HELPH-M

HillHopper: I assume since you live in AR that U of A is the University of Arkansas not Alabama huh?   Pig Sooouueee!

Scott

(Edited by SouthernStyle at 5:14 pm on July 13, 2002)

(Edited by SouthernStyle at 9:16 pm on July 13, 2002)

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Yep Scott, Arky to the bone. My meter is a Radio Shack Digital, Cat. No. 22-811, and I love it. I tried to get by with cheaper stuff & should have gotten one to begin with. Used my old needle one for quite a while. Welcome to the board again.

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Butch,

I bought an el-cheapo multimeter at Wal-Mart today for $17.  I probably should carry it back and get a better one.

Let me ask you a question, what is your preferred battery supply (6v, 9v, 12v) for your cams (particularly the MS20 PIR cams)?  What are the pros/cons?

Scott

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
I like 9. This is mainly due to if the MS20's voltage drops too low below 5 volts, or I think its 5 if i remember right, the unit becomes unstable and will begin ossolating and firing off shots. Can burn up a whole roll in nothing flat. The MS20 IS my PIR of preference. Now that the power consumption is in check, I REALLY like it. I would say use 6 AA or larger batterys. 12 volts is too cumbersom in my openion.

(Edited by ****** at 7:31 pm on July 13, 2002)

SouthernStyle

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the difference in a 2 meg Audio Taper POT and the Linear POTs?  I'm looking for one for the Timer modifications (both Jon and Gary's).  Will the All Electronics ATP-2M 2 meg audio taper pot work?  Jon mentions using a 2 meg trimmer pot and Gary mentions using a 2 meg pot (and mentions the 1 meg will work).  I'm just trying to understand how these work and the differences.

Tha All Electronics site list many kinds: http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/cate...&type=store

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Latest Posts

Top Bottom