Need new Backpack, Budget $300-$400

OPAH

Hey Gary If your not interested in maf's BL 2200, let me know, could be what I have been looking for

TheGDog

Hey Gary If your not interested in maf's BL 2200, let me know, could be what I have been looking for
Just bought it right now. (Thank you maf) I wanted something in-hand right-away so I knew I at least had that problem solved. After this season I'll slowly and calmly explore perhaps better options. Or maybe not, who knows!

TheGDog

Old day camo was...plaid...look at old hunter pics, plaid worked...
Those are "old hunters" with lots of experience. I, on the other hand, need every advantage I can afford.

Man... I'll tell ya... wish I had gotten an A31 tag. The first Doe on Sunday was so freakin close.. argh!

TheGDog

Elk is a part of the cervid family as deer are, as such, I could not imagine the the genetics would be so different that they would possess different vision aspects. So in short, my best guess is that their vision is no different.

Bears and antelope are not part of the cervid family, so in all honesty, I know little to nothing about their vision. However, I would think that most, if not all ungulates similar vision characteristics, which antelope are a part of, but not bear. My best guess on bear, is that they have color vision, but I do not really know for a fact, it is just an educated guess. Perhaps one of the DFW boys will kindly inform us.
http://www.americanbear.org/senses.htm

OPAH

Very good Info Gary, ahhh so goes the Bear related to the Pig BS
I feel bad was spewing that to my grandkids, now I got to go back
to them and say I was mis-lead

TheGDog

OH wow... I had always heard Pig sand Bears were related evolutionarily speaking... but just looked up the taxonomy of both species and yeah... don't seem to be related.

dunderee

S.O.C Sandpiper of California long Range Bug out bag is nice and fully adjustable with a molly system to add anything you could possibly carry.

Huntr Pat

completely deboned, Buts
thats a really small day pack my wife uses that pack on hikes.

Last edited:

Huntr Pat

Horn hunter full curl system 4 sale

brand new never uses with tags. tan brown color. $280.PU in pioneer. or msg me for arrangements
fullcurlsystem.jpgfull curl system2.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

huntingcali

I am a huge fan of Kuiu. My experience is with the Gregory backpack when I packed up my bear two years ago and my Kuiu backpack when I killed my buck last year. Termendous difference On being been able to manage heavy weight. Huge fan. And extremely loyal.

TheGDog

I eventually ended-up upgrading the next year to the Kifaru EMR II, with the nice big Guide lid. I love that it can go super big and has tons of room.

Just wish there was a way to modify the positioning of the lumbar pad to make it be a lil higher. I do alright... but it partially rests on an old injury. So like... when I was with the Boy Scouts and taking sweep with this cry-baby Fat kid with Asthma it was killing me since we were like stopping every freaking 10 feet or so for quite a stretch until that lil bas*ard finally got over himself. No motion, so no blood flow, ya know?

On the longer treks or when a pack-out occurs the direct contact with that area of mine sucks! I'd be totally fine if it didn't touch that area. But that pad is part of that whole apparatus that slides up onto the frame from the bottom, acting as its cradle. And indeed that pad is located in what I would assume is usually the correct place for most other folks. NSAIDS, Tylenol #3's, and ice. After a pack-out I'm toast for like 3 days. But what can ya do ya know?

I kinda think I need to find some ways to help with the compartmentalization within the main compartment. my secondary water bag(s) often end up sliding down amongst the contents and putting their weight too law within the space (since they say the heavy stuff is supposed to be up by like your shoulder blades.)

With some emails and pics back and forth with their tech support, I got the shoulder height adjusted properly where it should be, and it makes a world of difference in terms of comfort. But interestingly, sometimes have problems with the pack being noisy. Some velcro sounds from the adjustable height... or the guide-lid clicker straps making noise from tension sometimes.

But yeah... soo nice to know you can fit absolutely everything in or on your pack. And it does a good job of hiding my feet when on a set when placed in front of me with the Kryptek Highlander pattern.

Attachments

I own and have owned a lot of different packs in the price range you are talking about. I feel that packs are personal preference depending on your body shape, hunting style, physical fitness, and budget. I will give you a brief overview of the ones I have and my opinions on them:

Eberlestock Mainframe w/Batwings - Pros - Light weight. very customizable, can carry a quartered out deer and your overnight gear.
cons - external aluminum frame can make unwanted noise, batwing pockets could use a smaller pocket or two, not as comfortable(for me) as the J107 or the Kuiu Ultra/Pro. load lifters are not super effective.

Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly -
Pros - the Rifle Scabbard is really nice and it has good organization. the pack can compress down small for day hunting or expand out for multiday trips. It is adjustable for a wide variety of body types. It will carry out a full quartered out deer and your overnight gear. It is very tough as well.
Cons - it is a heavy pack by itself. The "load lifter" straps don't have very much lift. It expands out rather than up. can be tough to compress with rifle in scabbard and fully loaded with a whole deer.

Kuiu Ultra 6000 Bag on the Pro Harness and frame -
Pros - Very lightweight! very adjustable to end user. Easy to adjust compared to Eberlestock for torso size. Has a lot of bag options. The 6000 (5500 new version) has enough pockets for organization but not too many. It expands up! It is very compressible and will go from day hunts to multi day trips with ease. It has enough room to pack out a quartered deer and your overnight stuff. load lifter straps are effective.
Cons - Not as durable as other packs but still will take a beating. Doesn't have great options for carrying your firearm. zippers are a little loud.

Kifaru Duplex Light with Fulcrum Bag - pros - so far it has been the most comfortable pack I have used to date... but I have only had it for a short time and have not packed an animal out with it. (just got it 2 months ago) Very good adjustability, splits the weight difference between the J107 and Kuiu Ultra. Seems to be very durable. Has a good amount of organization and large compartments. It is very customizable. Load lifters are very effective. I have been using the Kifaru Gun Bearer for 2 years now on other packs and it has been a nice way to carry the rifle and keep it handy.
Cons - Most expensive of the bunch! Almost too many options to customize it a guy can really get carried away...

All in all it is up to you. I would recommend that you either go to one of the Trade Shows either Sheep Show in Reno, Utah Outdoorsmans Expo or SCI Show and try on different packs or hopefully you have friends with a few different packs to try on and see what you like. I have friends who use all of these packs as well as a few others such as Exo Mountain, Stone Glacier(already mentioned), and Mystery Ranch. There are a lot of companies out there that make great packs and tons of good online reviews as well check Rokslide, longrangehunting.com, and longrangeonly for reviews. I personally do not use or know anyone in my group who uses the Badlands packs so I cannot speak to those.

Bankrunner

I own and have owned a lot of different packs in the price range you are talking about. I feel that packs are personal preference depending on your body shape, hunting style, physical fitness, and budget. I will give you a brief overview of the ones I have and my opinions on them:

Eberlestock Mainframe w/Batwings - Pros - Light weight. very customizable, can carry a quartered out deer and your overnight gear.
cons - external aluminum frame can make unwanted noise, batwing pockets could use a smaller pocket or two, not as comfortable(for me) as the J107 or the Kuiu Ultra/Pro. load lifters are not super effective.

Eberlestock J107 Dragonfly -
Pros - the Rifle Scabbard is really nice and it has good organization. the pack can compress down small for day hunting or expand out for multiday trips. It is adjustable for a wide variety of body types. It will carry out a full quartered out deer and your overnight gear. It is very tough as well.
Cons - it is a heavy pack by itself. The "load lifter" straps don't have very much lift. It expands out rather than up. can be tough to compress with rifle in scabbard and fully loaded with a whole deer.

Kuiu Ultra 6000 Bag on the Pro Harness and frame -
Pros - Very lightweight! very adjustable to end user. Easy to adjust compared to Eberlestock for torso size. Has a lot of bag options. The 6000 (5500 new version) has enough pockets for organization but not too many. It expands up! It is very compressible and will go from day hunts to multi day trips with ease. It has enough room to pack out a quartered deer and your overnight stuff. load lifter straps are effective.
Cons - Not as durable as other packs but still will take a beating. Doesn't have great options for carrying your firearm. zippers are a little loud.

Kifaru Duplex Light with Fulcrum Bag - pros - so far it has been the most comfortable pack I have used to date... but I have only had it for a short time and have not packed an animal out with it. (just got it 2 months ago) Very good adjustability, splits the weight difference between the J107 and Kuiu Ultra. Seems to be very durable. Has a good amount of organization and large compartments. It is very customizable. Load lifters are very effective. I have been using the Kifaru Gun Bearer for 2 years now on other packs and it has been a nice way to carry the rifle and keep it handy.
Cons - Most expensive of the bunch! Almost too many options to customize it a guy can really get carried away...

All in all it is up to you. I would recommend that you either go to one of the Trade Shows either Sheep Show in Reno, Utah Outdoorsmans Expo or SCI Show and try on different packs or hopefully you have friends with a few different packs to try on and see what you like. I have friends who use all of these packs as well as a few others such as Exo Mountain, Stone Glacier(already mentioned), and Mystery Ranch. There are a lot of companies out there that make great packs and tons of good online reviews as well check Rokslide, longrangehunting.com, and longrangeonly for reviews. I personally do not use or know anyone in my group who uses the Badlands packs so I cannot speak to those.
Nice impartial review hunter.
Thanks

Top Bottom