Need new boots

Shot

Reaction score
With deer season coming up I figured I will buy a pair of new boots and break them in by then. I want to spend around 100-150 bucks for them, nothing to expensive. What to you guys think of the Rocky boots? which type is best? What do you guys think of the cabela's boots? Thanks for the help

I ask this because all the sporting good stores in southern cali don't really carry much of hunting boots, so I figured I ask JHO and see what I can find.

D-Zone

Reaction score
Good question, i was thinking of the same thing. I may be interested in getting some snake proof boots. Just to have that piece of mind while out in the bush. I'm not sure about the comfort though. I heard that the Rocky boots are really comfortable, a couple of my buddies have them. They bought a second pair to wair casually.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
I have a pair of cabelas boots, supprescent and 800 grams of thinsulate, I think. They were about 150 or so, I love them, broke in easy, andI haven't killed them yet, and I could break an anvil.

I am enjoyingmy new Rocky snake boots, but didn't like the last pair of rocky hunting boots I had, but I think those are eight or so years old.

anyway I love my cabelas, I will try and figure out what model I have.

Zbearclaw

Reaction score
they are the cabelas trophy series insulated supprescent type, I think they are 169 now. I have terrible blood flow in the extremities, so those are fine for me in the early season, although in Georgia I wear the snake boots early. the cabelas trophy series have worked for me so far.

prohunter

Reaction score
i have a couple of pairs of rocky's. they are comfy right out of the box.

Shot

Reaction score
prohunter, what type of Rockys do you have?

hamradiofan

Reaction score
I bought a pair of the Cabelas Pinnacle boots last summer. Beleive it or not, they are some of the most comfortable boots I have ever owned. Break in was minimal, and I hiked atleast 30 miles last season with them without any issues.

I would highly recommend them to anyone. Besides, the price is great.

Andy

One Track

Reaction score
Meindl, available through Cabelas. Best boot that I could find. They are already broken in. Comfy, sturdy, warm, dry. I think I have the Sitka model.

Buck-eye

Reaction score
I tried a pair of Meindl 7", and they were a bit too high on the shin. The 6" were sold out and I needed them fast, so I got Danner. Not bad at all. You really have to think about the terrain you plan to traverse. If you side hill a bunch, you may want more of a hiker type boot. Cabelas has a cool set of half hiker/high top that looks very comfy. It also has a zip up cover over the laces. Cool to keep them tied, and to keep crap from getting stuck in your boots.

buckkillerdeluxe

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Cabelas "woodsman" ( I Think) about 6 years ago and they are still going strong, extremely comfortable and totally waterproof, warm as I could possibly want and comfy. I spent about 80 bucks and have got more than my money's worth.

I also bought a pair of Wolverines a few years ago and they are an absolute piece of crap. Sole seperated, supposed to be waterproof...no dice. Stay away if you can.

VHRAM

Reaction score
check out danner boots , Ive got 4 pairs for diff conditions .Ive never gotten a blister or a sore foot from wearing them. the oldest pair is about 27 years old and is still in great shape. I dont buy them for work boots because I wear out 2 pairs of boots a year. For work boots I buy either wolverine or redwing boots.

prohunter

Reaction score
cornstalkers is one pair, but they are worn out now. i am not sure what the other pair is. they are a lightweight hiker.

Pistol Pete

Reaction score
I bought the Meindl 7 inch uninsulated from Cabelas and they were great right out of the box. AND they kept me from living up to my old indian name Falls on Butt on the steep hillsides where I hunt.

birdhunter88

Reaction score
I think I have tried every boot known to mankind and now I know that I have found a "hunting" boot that is truely outstanding.

Wolverine Antelope....... just an outstanding pair of boots for comfort and mobility. The soles will grab the ground and give you unbelievable traction. If you walk trough mud they will not build up 5 lbs of mud that you can't get off without kicking your feet in the air to rid yourself of all the extra weight. They have self cleaning tread design that enable this to be a possibilty. They are also waterproof and scentproof. Very very light. There is also a pair that are made by Wolverine with the Cabela's name on them that have 400 gram of insulation. I plan on getting a pair of these for this fall. The thread design is different but no less I am sure just as impressive as the Antelope.

The Rocky's and the Danner's that I have had just fall to pieces in a short period of time. Heavy and clog up with mud. Create blisters unless you put tape on your feet or heels. For the money you just can't beat Wolverine brand boots. LaCross boots can be very good also. Light, durable and less expensive as your Rocky's and Danner's but much more foot friendly. I swear by my Wolverine Antelope's they are just an outstanding pair of boots. I wished they made them in black so that I could use them on my Postal Carrier job......."walking". Thought about dying a pair black but I am sure the dye would bleed through to my feet and then I would have a "Deeds" foots (Adam Sadler movie... can't remember the name).

bird

rusman66

Reaction score
I ordered the 7" perfekt hiker from meindl, Don't have them yet. If onetrack says meindl makes a good boot, then they gotsta be good.

bighorn67

Reaction score
I have to agree with birdhunter88 about Wolverine. I just bought a pair of the antelopes from Sportsmans Guide for about $60. I have other pairs of Wolverines that are insulated and needed an uninsulated pair for late summer hunting and hiking. They are comfortable right out of the box. $60 is an incredible price.

Dave

link to antelopes

birdhunter88

Reaction score
You know bighorn, I thought about ordering those boots there just for everyday wear..... those on Sportsman Guide are the orginal discontinued model.... That is a hell of a price for those boots.

bird

SierraFool

Reaction score
I just ordered the "SpeedHunter" from Cabelas, they look a little funky but what the hell I'll give them a try...

Top Bottom