Need Slave Flash Help

MrPike

Reaction score
I had two boards left from Jon's original style and I wired them this weekend, but I cannot get either one to fire. They are the 31057 (B) style flash board with sensing LED (not adjustable) and I have checked my wiring twice, both visually and with a continuity meter. I clipped both of the resistors from the instructions. The capacitior charges to about 273V. I tried to get the flash to fire with a Sony and with a D380, but no luck either way. Prior to wiring them, I changed the 2.2M resistor to a 4.7M resistor to extend the sensing window as Jon described to get it to work with the Sony's.

A couple of things I was wondering:

Can I charge up the capacitor and jumper it directly to the flash element to confirm it is working without damaging anything?

If I put a meter on the sensing LED connections and have someone else trigger the camera, will I be able to see the resistance drop or will it happen too quickly?

Can I short across the LED connections with the capacitor charged to see if the flash will fire?

Any answers or suggestions on other things I could check would be appreciated.

drifter9

Reaction score
no jumping the cap to the flash will not fire the flash
the flash board has a coil that sends higher volts, then the cap has to the flash to fire it
dont know about the rest of your questions

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
I have a Flash rite now doing the same thing you mention... It charges up and shuts down, I read 269 volts but it will not fire no matter what I do ..Its using the Photo Diode to trigger the flash and has the adjustable pot for voltage regulation.

This is the same unit I did my long range flash tests with a few weeks back. I had turned it off, and then several days later was going to set it out in the woods for some field tests, It would not work. thats where Im at with it.

Im sure you have the day/nite sensor covered well in order for it to sense. Obviously do since its charging, also batteries are good because its peaked the cap.

I have shorted the wires for the Photo Diode and nothing happens. shorting them does not hurt anything closes the circuit, but still will not fire my flash either.

I changed flash bulbs thinking maybe that was a problem, I would make sure no Hot glue is on any contacts allowing conductivity. I have had that short out the terminals on the flash bulb and not allow for it to flash, not the case this time.

Sounds like both yours and mine are doing the same thing. they charge fine, and shut off and await a trigger, but will not trigger. I kinda set mine down and tackled other projects , But will play with it more tonight, I come up with anything I will let you know

Dan

MrPike

Reaction score
Dan,
Sounds like we're seeing the same thing. I do have a drop or two of hot melt on the flash terminals, and I will remove that and recheck it. I had tested the glue I use and it seemed not to be conductive, but I will remove it just in case. I had removed it from all other areas before the last re-test and still no dice.

I'll let you know if I come up with anything and maybe someone else will have an idea in the mean time.

drifter9

Reaction score
MrPike
I just took a close look at jon's setup
if you jump the red to the green wires were you sodered them to the board
it will fire the coil and in turn fire the flash
that is were vivtar wires in the test button
you are just buypassing jon's board
if the flash fires , the cmos is bad on jon's board
if no flash we need to look at the flash board itself
hope this helps

MrPike

Reaction score
drifter9,
Thanks a lot for your continuing help, that's good info. I'll take a look at it again tonight after work.

I did get one of them working late last night and found a slightly damaged trace on the other (where I had changed the resistor), but haven't had time to recheck it yet after repairing it.

The one that is working is really odd- I tried it with a D380 and no dice. I tried a P52 and no dice. I tried a P32 and it flashed. I then went right back to the P52 and it flashed and is still working this morning. I'll test it with the D380 later on. I can't explain it and it makes no sense, but after finally flashing for the first time it seems to have started to work. I'll test it more frequently tonight to see if it fires 100% of the time on a higher number of flashes.

MrPike

Reaction score
drifter9,
I jumpered the red and green wire solder locations from the Vivitar board and did not get any flash. I think I will crack into another flash and wire it up to the same powerslave board and see what happens.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post again when I have done this.

MrPike

Reaction score
I desoldered all of the connections to the flash board I was using and opened another flash and got it ready. When I pulled the flash out of the RS box, I found a wire that had broken at the solder joint.

I repaired the wire and then jumpered the red and green wires as Drifter9 had suggested and that worked, so that's a good trick to know. Needless to say, after I resoldered everything and put it all back together it seems to be working.

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
Dave,

Sounds good Glad you got it...I know what a pain it can be to tear them all back apart, no easy task.

Mine is something differant. still not flashing but need to play with it more, have too many projects going at one time, need to focus on 1 before I go to the next.
I'll post what happens when I get it figured out, Hope to get back after it this weekend.

Dan

Top Bottom