Need some help

Shot

Reaction score
I want to get into bowhunting, but I am left eye dominant. Can you guys give me any advice on what I can do to help my shoting skills? What about when I am buying a bow, should I go to a left hand bow? thanks for the help

pietromarc

Reaction score
use must match the Dominant eye, you can train your arm but not your eye's.
get a lefty bow!

Shot

Reaction score
what about closing my left eye when I shoot a RH bow? I have tired this a it works good, but I don't have anything to compare too.

glock5

Reaction score
I'll trade you. I'm lefthand and right eye dominant. I have no problem shooting lefthand. I do close the right eye though. I feel much more comfortable pulling left.
G

deek

Reaction score
I also have that problem. If you are shooting a bow with sights, you can close one eye and it works fine. But, if you are shooting without sights (instinctive, etc) you will need to shoot lefty with both eyes open. That solved my problem!

riverrat52

Reaction score
Since you are just getting started, you might as well do it right! Get a lefty bow and keep at it. I am right-handed, but when I got into archery 10yrs ago I was never told about eye dominance (never asked either). I later found that I am left eye dominant but by that time it was too late for me. I had already spent alot of money on a bow and I do fine when using a peep sight. Again, I would do it right from the beginning if I were you.

Good luck--RR

lscha

Reaction score
I started bow hunting in 1973. In those days I didn't need glasses at all. I never knew I was left EYED. I did alright with peep sites until I got into bifocals. I switched to an Eradicator site and I did well until I got into tri-focals. If I focused on the deer, the site was fuzzy. If I focused on the site, the deer was fuzzy.

This has been so frustrating for me because I've always been good at archery. Now I have gone to a red dot. I have to have something that allows me to have both eyes open and focused on the deer. I'm not sure I want to spend the money for a lefty bow yet, or if I'm even re-trainable . I have a Golden Eagle Evolution. This will be the first season with my red dot (Not laser). So far I have been happy with the practice sessions. I just have to try it with all the bulky clothes on, sitting, elevated, etc. I would like to know how others are solving this problem. I have tried other websites but there aren't that many aging eyes out there I guess. Or else they aren't admitting it. LOL!

Laura

prohunter

Reaction score
I am the same: right handed & left eye dominant. Go with the left handed bow. Once you start shooting you won't realize the difference. I don't.

Jake

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I was surprised to find out that I was left eyed when I got set up for my bow. The old timer that worked me let me shoot a right handed bow first, most unimpressive. I was on paper @ 30 yds that was the good news. With the left handed bow the first arrow was a bullseye, the next two were right next to it.
Matter of fact I started shooting pool left handed as well. I've never been that good at pool but I missed even the easiest shots shooting right handed.

Mike

jdhowe75

Reaction score
shot,
Same situation here. Right handed at everything but bow and rifle. The guy at my proshop set me up with a bow about 2 years ago and I have never looked back. He even had a few left handed bows that he was "STUCK" with that he got rid of to me at a great price. Do you shoot long guns lefty? Maybe you should try. Good luck and great shooting!
-jd

BDB

Reaction score
I'll agree with everyone else and say shoot left handed. Keeping both eye's open while shooting with a site or instinctive is IMO very important.

alltimelow1

Reaction score
Same predicament here, I didnt realize so many people in the same boat.

My dad is laft handed and I think the school system forced me to write right handed and that ended up being my problem. I have gotten use to closing my left eye so I shoot right handed but, if you are just getting started I would agree with everybody else and go with a left handed bow. The cool thing with being opposite eye dominant is it usually takes no time to start to shoot great with your opposite hand. Also, try other things, I can switch hit in baseball and shoot pool with either hand, pretty cool!!
Good luck!

Hoss

Reaction score
I agree with the above, I am the exact same as you. I did a lot of research and found out that this is a pretty common problem. I switched from right handed equipment to left handed equipment and have been shooting great ever since.

It is not that hard to draw the bow. At first it may feel a little awkward, but with time it will be comfortable. For me, drawing my hunting partners right handed bow now feels awkward.

I have 7 year old twin boys, and one of them is left eyed dominate. I am just glad I know about this problem now before he gets older and struggles with right handed gear. Boy I can't wait to get them into the woods with a bow.

Anyway, make the switch, you wont regret it.

Hoss

Latest Posts

Top Bottom