need some scouting help

Reaction score
this is my first year of turkey hunting and i need some help turkey scouting. i need to now what to look for were to look for it at, and stuff like that. and also i was scouting this morning and testing out my new lynch's box call and got one to gobble at me, but it kept going away from me. how do you call to get the bird to comw to you; and how long do you call, thnx

j3storch

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Gretings:

I've been a novice for 5 years now. The one thing I've been told, and it makes sense, is to leave your calls at home when scouting. Calling to them will get their attention, they will home in on you. When you finally tire, or need to get home for supper and stand to walk away, they will see you. THus, when they hear THAT turkey again when your hunting, they will head the other way.

They will get call shy fast enough during the hunting season.

Check out Jesse's info on scouting, and hunting, using calls decoys etc at jesseshuntingpage.com.

Good luck.

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 Try this for awhile,Go out and listen to them wake up,pinpoint where the gobbler is roosted, then just sit and listen,after he flys down listen for his gobbles and see where he goes(direction,general location)do this for as many mornings as you can before season,also listen to more than just one bird this way,Get to know thier habits early morning.
 Then when its time position yourself in his line of travel but a short distance from his general roosting area,the idea here is to make it really easy for him to come to your calls(he is already going that way anyhow,might as well gather up an extra girlfreind)call sparingly and soft,Keep it simple,if he is coming right to you just wait in ambush.
 You may also want to go in AFTER he is GONE to look the area over just a bit,you want to know where or if there are creeks,fences or other barriers he will not cross to come to you.they are not very smart but they do learn and have very very very sharp eyes,and they hear really well also IMHO.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Like PassThru said, try to find his Roosting Area and where he goes to when he flys down.  Don't practice calling where you plan on hunting, go somewhere else and educate that hunters birds, he'll be in your area educating your birds......  he he

Turkeys like to roost about 1/3 of the way down from a ridge top and on Point's off ridges.  If you hunt mostly Hardwoods but know where some pines are, that's a favorite roosting place.  Looking for scratching in the area, etc too.

Turkey's don't like to cross open fields, creeks, or fences when being called to  and I have better luck calling them "Up Hill" when possible.

I try to get about 300 yards from a roosted turkey before calling and wait for him to fly down before really getting into calling.  If you don't, he may stay on the roost, waiting for you, the hen, to show up.  I only make a few soft calls just to let him know where I am but don't call much while he's on the roost, that's important!  The natural thing is for the hen to go to the Tom when he gobbles.  You have to act like he's not good enough for the likes of you so don't call too much (even when he's on the ground).  Maybe once every 5 or 10 min's or so (by the watch) And don't sound like a Hen with Aids because he'll walk away from you gobbling a good bye.....

It seems like if I do call when he's on the roost and when he flys down he flys "AWAY" from me, he's going to circle and come in more often.  Also, if he gobbles a lot but then shuts up, get ready,  he's probably on the way to you.  DO NOT MOVE until the turkey is behind a tree trunk or it's over!!!!

Don't shoot at a turkey in full strut, his feather armor will block too much shot and he's liable to get away.  You have to hit him in the head and neck for the same reason, but I don't like to aim directly at his head, it jerks around too much, so I am where his neck meets his body.  My Shotgun Pattern hits about 6" high so that aiming point is perfect for me and I can see what his head's doing.  Altho you may have a big-oh Magnum, keep your shots below 40 yards, around 30 is best I think.

If a hen walks up and you think she'll see you, flush her real quick so she'll fly away in a hurry, she'll seldom putt but if it's a Jake, he's too stupid to leave and will probably putt and the games over, at least for the Old Man.   When the hen flys off,  I give a call to let the Tom know It wasn't me that flew away.  Don't make too much noise when flushing the hen and MAYBE everything'll be alright.

Well, there it is, my 2¢ worth.........Easy Huh!

Tinhorn

Tominator

Reaction score
About the only thing I'll add to that is take the long way to and from work and ride by the areas you hunt, if possible, and see where and when the turkeys are active. You'd be surprised what you can learn during these times that you would otherwise waste.
Tominator

MBullism

Reaction score
Tinhorn-

I never heard the shoo the hen away trick before.. Do you have luck with that?  I've always let them hang around, kinda like a live decoy...  Nothin looks or sounds more like a hen than the real thing.  Sometimes it is one more set of eyes to fool, but in for a penny, in for a pound!

M

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Mbullism,

I only do that when I almost know I'm about to be spotted and so far, have only did it with loan hens.  The game would be up anyway if it spotted me so nothing to loose.

It works on them pretty well if they are close but on jakes......never for me..........

Tinhorn

Kentuck

Reaction score
KYMAN,

I'd like to add that it is illegal in KY to use a turkey call 30 days before the season opens. Educates the birds.

MBullism

Reaction score
Haha...  My trouble seems to be that everytime I think I'm gonna get spotted, I don't - and when I'm POSITIVE that there is no way that they could ever POSSIBLY see me, I'm busted...  I've had excellent luck staying MOTIONLESS and avoiding eye contact  :shocked-big-eyes:  Even had them at my feet, but that makes it kinda difficult to swing the gun!

M

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Mbullism is right. If you're motionless and in full camo, they'll pass within feet of you and not notice even if you're out in the open with no cover...makes it kinda tough to put a bead on 'em though! :surprised-purple:

Top Bottom