Need some technical help.

Possum

Reaction score
I need someone to check the voltage on the two silver connections on the camera side of the back of the camera.  These connections touch the two tabs on the dateback of the camera that come from the date battery.  There is a 3v charge on these tabs.  On the other two on the camera side, I get a .225 reading AFTER a pic is snapped.  It slowly rises and then max's out at around .225 volts.  Then it dies to 0 volts.  I need to know what a normal camera is doing so I can rule this out as a possible reason for no date on the pic.  Hold the multimeter on the two connections and snap a pic.  Then watch the display and read the voltage.  Anyone that can help I would appreciate it.  I think this all started when I used rechargable batteries.

By the way, the two connections on the camera body side "short" the two connections on the date side when a pic is taken.  This causes the date function to activate giving you the date on the pic.

(Edited by Possum at 11:19 pm on Nov. 27, 2001)

Possum

Reaction score
Okay, New info. (I put new alkalines in the cameras.) The book says that if the date imprints on the pic there will be a little bar on the date back that flashes.  I have one old OWL that is doing that every pic.  The new OWL PF is flashing the first pic and then remains solid after that.  I am going to burn two rolls of film tomorrow morning and check them both.  When I first checked them tonight neither one had the bar showing.   It is possible that when you change the date battery you have to set the time for the camera to recognize the date and know to imprint it on the pic.  Let everyone know tomorrow night.  Boy, I feel like I am inventing this camera.

gizz

Reaction score
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the time and date must be set on the owl in order for it to imprint. Is that what you mean?

Possum

Reaction score
Here are the facts.  I tested two OWL and OWL PF this morning and just got the pics back from Wal Mart.  The date was imprinted on all photos.  I have found that if the little horizontal bar is not showing on the date screen then the date will not appear on the photos (just like the manual says - when in doubt read the instructions.  Somehow if you change the date battery and set the time sometimes the little bar will not appear.  If you snap a picture (Shutter Close) then the little bar appears and blinks.  This blinking signifies that the date is being imprinted.  I apparently did not "dry fire" the camera after resetting the date/time when I put it in the woods.  Therefore, the date/time did not appear on the photo.  This all started when I used recharchable NIMH batteries in the camera and started getting great pics without the date.  Anyway, the cameras are functioning correctly with the alkalines and the date is appearing on the pics.  The manual does not say you can't use the NIMH battery.  It only says do not use the NiCad and Lithium batteries.  I am going to ask Canon about the NiMH, but probably stick to the correct alkaline battery.

(Edited by Possum at 6:23 pm on Nov. 28, 2001)

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Thanx for the run-down Possum

I suspect that the reason Canan specified Alkaline batts is like someone said, battery volts on others are slightly lower, and it would take even longer to charge up the Flash Circuit than it already does but just a guess.  They also have a long shelf life (4 yrs) and we all know how MOST cam's lay-around for years and not get used......

I don't think the camera's AA batt's have anything to do with the Date Imprint but that's another guess

I intended to measure the volts like you requested but had (have) to wait till one is empty of film 1st.  I expect to do that this w/e when I go retrieve some, if you still want the measurements for some reason....

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
I don't think I need the measurements now.  I think it was all about getting that little bar to appear.  The manual says it appears when the shutter is closed.  I know I put alkalines in the camera the previous day and snapped pics without the bar there and there was no date on the test pics.  Today I made sure the bar was there and there was  a date on the pic.  Quirky? Maybe I was doing something weird.  All I know is that 3 cameras did not have a date on them with the rechargables and now they do with the alkalines.  Thanks for the offer to help.  I'm just thankful the cameras are okay.

Advertisement

Top Bottom