Nevada 194-194 early archery tag for 2013

wmonroe

Reaction score
Hello,
Drew nevada 194-194 early archery. Know it will be a tuff hunt with low deer numbers but think it is possible to pull a 180 deer with enough time and effort. Looking for any info from people who have hunted this in the past. Not much info out there due to low tag numbers? Any info would be much appreciated. Looking at starting in the mt. Rose wilderness.
Thanks,
Wes

Huntin Dave

Reaction score
Hello,
Drew nevada 194-194 early archery. Know it will be a tuff hunt with low deer numbers but think it is possible to pull a 180 deer with enough time and effort. Looking for any info from people who have hunted this in the past. Not much info out there due to low tag numbers? Any info would be much appreciated. Looking at starting in the mt. Rose wilderness.
Thanks,
Wes
You might want to see what hunters in X7b in CA have done in the past as its essentially the same area as the Mt. Rose Wilderness area borders X7b. The only thing different is the mythical state line (to the deer). Terrain is the same and in all reality hunting the same deer. Are you day tripping it or are you packing in for multiple days? Assuming its early season... so its gonna be hot. That's really where you need to start. See if you can contact a NVDOW biologist and they might be able to point you in the right direction. Just doing a brief look at the Mt. Rose Wilderness area on wilderness.net, it looks as if the only road leading up to the WA is Radio Tower Access Road. Get a Toiyobe National Forest map and contact the ranger station about a wilderness permit, maybe they can share some info. Wish I could be of more assistance. Now if you would have drawn the 181-184 Desatoya's tag....I would have all the info you need.

wmonroe

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i have been going over the maps and google earth looking at places to begin. i grew up in the truckee area but have never spent much time down there, just rode by as a kid staring at some great looking mule deer country. i have 23 days to hunt so i should be able to locate some deer. hopefully this hunt pans out, have spent a lot of time in 7a and 7b and i dont believe all the big deer they are taking in the late season come from this area. hopeim not wrong cause it cost me my points.
thanks again,
wes

wmonroe

Reaction score
I will be packing and day trips. Going to try and see as much country as possible. Guess if nothing else I will see some beautiful country

6x7

Reaction score
Big bucks will be from one end of that unit to the other, meaning elevation wise from boomtown to the top, don't get into that mindset that you have to hunt high for big bucks in that unit.
I am not trying to steer you away from mount rose that is a very good area but like I said and what it boil down to every mule deer area is they are where they are.

Bossbrott

Reaction score
Never hunted it, but judging from the weather, I'd hit google earth and narrow my search for watersources.

Huntin Dave

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. i have been going over the maps and google earth looking at places to begin. i grew up in the truckee area but have never spent much time down there, just rode by as a kid staring at some great looking mule deer country. i have 23 days to hunt so i should be able to locate some deer. hopefully this hunt pans out, have spent a lot of time in 7a and 7b and i dont believe all the big deer they are taking in the late season come from this area. hopeim not wrong cause it cost me my points.
thanks again,
wes
Well since your a tahoe area local you should be fine. I have heard stories of good bucks along that I-80 corridor once you past the NV line on your way down to Cabelas. Just got to find the private property and forest service lines. Also heard there are a lot Cats up there and big ones too. Get a Lion tag while your at it. NV pop-up adds while getting your tags online, practically beg you to by a Lion tag. I will call a friend of mine whose parents live on Donner Lake....see what he has to say.

wmonroe

Reaction score
i might just do that. would be hard to top a spot and stalk cat w the bow.

Top Bottom