Nevada Chukar

hntndux

Reaction score
I've never hunted chukar before and plan to do a little of it in Nevada this year.  Does anybody have some general information about areas along the I-80 corridor?  Also, what terrain is best for them.  Thanks for any help!

Whoadog

Reaction score
 I have been wanting to do the same so if you are looking for someone to go alongI would be into it.  I have three llewellin setters that I am sure would do good on them.

Brian

Fubar

Reaction score
Here in CA the Chukar are usually in the roughest terrain imaginable. Usually lava rock and cactus. I have seen many hunters carry their dogs back to the truck after a few hours. Their paws become bloody and their legs too from pulling themselves up rocks. Bring pliars to pull cactus spines out of your dog. Make sure you are prepared for the rough terrain. Bring plenty of water for you and the dog. In CA the BLM is doing its best to eliminate Chukar as they are not "native" to the desert here.         Fubar

(Edited by Fubar at 1:39 pm on July 16, 2001)

OC hunter

Reaction score
Last year I hunted near Winnemucca for the opener.  There are plenty of Chukar almost everywhere.  Note - Chukar only nest on slopes and we only found them on some of the steepest mountains.  Be prepared to climb!

KID CREOLE

Reaction score
I went to Nevada two years ago and where we hunted near Winnemuka(spelling).  We saw lots of birds but I made a brutal mistake of leaving birds to find birds and we were later hit by a cold front with lots of wind and rain.  There are tons of area to hunt and you can get aerial bird counts from the Nevada fish and game website.  One warning, you have to have a certificate of hunter safety training with you, a Calif hunting license won't do.

Ponscm

Reaction score
I've never been chukar hunting either, but my buddy and his dad go every year.  They say the birds LOVE to run uphill.  His advise, try and hunt downhill if at all possible.

Z-man

Reaction score
I have to agree with the fellas.  Lots and lots of rough terrain.  Went to an area near Barstow last year.  Have a good pair of boots, not the $20 kind from Big 5.  This is probably the most frustrated I've ever been.  The birds flush a lot earlier that Quail and seem to fly farther.
Have fun trying to catch'em!

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
You hunt chukar the first time for sport and for revenge every time after that.

You can call chukars if you get between some and they're not spooked already. They get curious like a quail and come in for a peek. You can sometimes call them back after a flush like quail too. Get a chukar call and listen to them next time your out to get their calls down.

Pray for some juvies in the group cuz the adults are smart suckers.

hntndux

Reaction score
Sounds interesting, thank for the info!  I'm heading over to Wyoming this fall and was considering stopping in Nevada for a few days on my way there.  Sounds like these buggers are tough to get to...  Are they more active in morning/evening?

Jay

Reaction score
I've heard you rate a chukar hunt by how many ties you drop your gun on the rocks.

(Edited by Jay at 2:27 pm on July 21, 2001)

Top Bottom