Nevada Mule Deer

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
Has anyone ever hunting out of Austin, Ely, or Jarbridge? If so what units hold good populations of mature bucks? Do you think one area is better than the other? Also, how many of you all put in for Nevada. We were kind of curious to know if as many people put in this year for out of state tags considering the housing bubble is bursting and gas is 4$ a gallon?

Jared

Litch

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if there were any Deer in Nevada, those 3 places would be good choices. But everybody knows that Nevada is just a barren wasteland and not worth your trouble of even applying.

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
Ya, I am aware of this odd phenomenon (no deer in Nevada)...my uncle has hunted Nevada for over almost 2 decades (not drawing every year of course, but probably 6 or 7 times) but has never taken a truly big buck. He says that he sees about a dozen or more bucks a day but they are all stamped out (20 to 24 inches). He has always had a hard time finding bucks much bigger than that. He has killed one that was 27 inches and has seen bigger but it never works out, you know how that goes. We have already applied and all, but just curious what you all thought. If you wanted to kill a 170 to 180 class buck (which we all do) which one of those spots do you believe gives you your best shot? I know that bucks like that are not easy to come by, but do you think that one unit ups your odds? For the sake of argument, let’s say that they are all early hunts, and we are willing to hike a long way or rent horses.

Jared

SDHNTR

Reaction score
WIth draw odds already astronomical, I doubt anyone is going to volunteer too much specific info like unit numbers. The only thing I can suggest is to spend some time on the NV DOW website. It will give you most all of the nformation you asked for and will allow you to make a more educated choice. Or if you do not have the time or desire to do the homework yourself, possibly consider a service like the Huntin' Fool.

That said, if a monster is on your mind, the late hunts will probably give you the best chance. Those hunts will, of course, come with much more difficult draw odds. The early hunts will have somewhat better odds but you are right, be prepared to pack in for your best chance at success. Lastly, any unit in NV can produce a 170-180 buck. You just have to work harder than the next guy, be a little bit picky, and have a little luck come your way.

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
I have always heard that it is very difficult to draw any tag in NV, (this is my first year putting in), but after looking at the draw odds on the website, the numbers were not all that bad??? Are the numbers that they give you on the website accurate. I mean, I know that the odds of drawing northwest and northeast corner are slim to none but some of the other units it may only take a couple of years...I could be wrong.

SDHNTR

Reaction score
No, you are pretty much correct. There are hunts you could probably draw every few years. You could also get lucky and draw one of the best units your first time too. You just never know. With 5 choices you can shoot for the moon on the first couple and then be more realistic with the others. NV, has a great draw system IMO (well, other than having to buy the license to apply and build points.)

superduty

Reaction score
Birdi, shoot me an email with your questions and I will see if I can help.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
I highly recommend Huntin' Fool so I know where NOT to put in...Any more you might as well resolved yourself to take twice to 3 times longer to draw a unit 'cause that is how much longer it'll take to draw once Garth recommends it.

DMC

Reaction score
Ok, Some finally understnd "There are NO DEER in NEVADA" Some keep appliing wasting there hard earned money.

Well I will give you some advice besides "DO NOT APPLY". Since you already did the dasterdly deed.

It takes deep forks to score 180. Width and crab forks don't score for crap.

If I was putting in with those 3 choices and looking for a 180 class buck under current misguided asumptions that "THERE MIGHT BE A DEER IN NEVADA" I would put them down like this. Late were possible starting with Ely, Austin, Jarbrige. But there is a lot of state you didn't consider with that.

I had to apply to continue my research on the disaperance of the deer in Nevada. I am on a relentless crusade to warn everyone about the danger of being tricked int this dirty little game they call the DRAW.

Good luck. Now we wait for June.

DMC

Reaction score
I have 0 points.

You post about mature deer 170-180. That is a different situation than getting just a tag. The fact is and it is no secret that if Nevada had deer the southern zones have been kicking out more trophies than the north. I feel that the northern zones have too many tags for the age class to get to were it would need to be. The northern genetics you mentioned have been sporting more short forks also as of late. Things can change but that is my opinion. Every zone has the potential for a good deer but getting them to live long enough to sport the big gear is another story. I would still go with my original line up.

Good luck

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
Ya my uncle hunted out of Ely last year and wasn't impressed with the number of good bucks. He killed a 3 point about 24 inches wide and his buddy killed a 4 pointer about 23 inches wide with short tines. He did see a couple of bucks in the 26 to 28 inch range but was holding out for mr. big. Ely late is another story I guess though. It is surprising how few bucks are killed in that particular zone considering the stories that I have heard. However, my uncle and buddies do hike further than the average hunter, in fact much further. WE are completely unfamiliar with the southern zones...but it sounds like you might be right...or are right for that matter.

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
oooo. the only reason we have a chance of drawing is because a couple of other guys with points wanted to put in with us...i have no idea why...

wmidbrook

Reaction score
Since they split it into 2 seasons only last year, it'll take a little while for the odds to settle in. A good number of those who applied for late will apply for early instead this year so the odds on the later seasons will be better.

The late seasons are well worth it if you draw...there's a much better chance at seeing more larger deer and more deer in general. My cousins and grandparents have hunted Nevada since the 1920s--they'd never bother hunting until the end of Oct....just wasn't worth it to them.

Birdi23nls

Reaction score
"A good number of those who applied for late will apply for early instead this year so the odds on the later seasons will be better."

Questions: why? It would seem that they have more points this year than last year, don't you think their first choices are going to be late zones? I dont know though...im new to this.

If a lot of people feel like your grandparents then the early odds should go up.

I'm thinking something different on this Neveda draw, and I could be completely wrong. I'm thinking that fewer folks are going to put in this year because of the economy, gas, houses, work is slow, stuff like that. Also, the way Neveda sent out the information for application was different than in the past, I think a few people or maybe a lot of people may have missed the date because of the change...o maybe i'm just ignoratly opptomistic.

deerseeker

Reaction score
Gas, economy, blah, blah, and other doom and gloom (election year remember) issues pale in comparison to those who have invested in a Nevada hunting license year after year. If you hunt you hunt. Nevada tags are tough, but places like Arizona are a joke.

As far as the trends of where people apply, there does seem to be a bit of flip-flop on demand. With today's available information, not to mention Huntin' Fool, people get pushed to the best looking opportunity based on history.

wmidbrook

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
people get pushed to the best looking opportunity based on history.[/b]
....don't forget people flock to the top secret "sleeper units" too...lol! Nothing like industry rags, outdoor tv shows and internet deer to swing demand from one area to another!

Maybe, NDOWs website is right when it says there is good deer hunting in pretty much every unit in NV the way they manage.

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom