New '17 Ram Power Wagan...opinions?

quaildeath

Last edited:

bsanders8181

A cousin got a used one last year, I think it's 3-4yrs old. He loves it, beautiful inside & out.
New trucks have everything a nice car does on the inside, but with a bed and 4wd.
I don't know what you're upgrading from, but even one a couple years old has more gizmos than I'd ever use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjack

Was looking In to them In 2014 but opted for a 3500 diesel. I wanted the durability and torque of the diesel. I am very happy with the Dodge interior options and the overall performance so far and I've put 85,000 miles on it. The advantage of the Hemi is you have the room on the front end for an "in bumper" wench if you choose, the diesel has too many cooling devices in the way. The Power Wagon is a work horse for sure.

adam32

I think the 17's are ugly, get a 14-15 with the 6.4L Hemi...that's what I wanted to get but ended up getting a 2013 2500 Laramie with the Ramboxes and the 5.7L Hemi.

I've had 4 Dodge diesels, all great trucks but I don't pull much anymore so they aren't worth the extra $6,000 to me.

Where's Bruce?

I like them. Little flashy. That truck is probably pushing 60k or more.
Personally I would rather buy an older 2500 4x4 from the famous cummins diesel years of 2000-2002 and drop some money into it to make perfect. Those diesels are barely broke in at 100k miles.

Try these:
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5625016442.html

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5625016442.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5548947240.html
I will never buy a diesel again...they ruin your driveway (oil stains), cost more to buy and maintain and sometimes finding fuel is a PITA! As for flashy well...not too different from my current Ram.

camera 027.jpg

cjack

Diesel fuel is readily available everywhere nowadays but the hemi is a good engine so go with it. No oil leaks here, today's diesel isn't your daddy's diesel, Cummings is awesome

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fishnhunt

I bought a 2015 1500 with the hemi about 8 months ago. I love it and it's a great truck. I tried for over a year and with used truck prices I couldn't find one at a reasonable price so I bought new. For under 30k. It's a great truck!

Where's Bruce?

Diesel fuel is readily available everywhere nowadays but the hemi is a good engine so go with it. No oil leaks here, today's diesel isn't your daddy's diesel, Cummings is awesome

My wife's '05 diesel Ford Excursion needed 15k in repairs after 150K miles and always leaked like a MFer. More than half the gas stations here do NOT sell diesel. I will never buy diesel again.

Last edited:

cjack

Ford....there's your sign! Never had a problem finding fuel and has been consistently cheaper. I wasn't pushing diesel just pointing out that wenches aren't an option with the diesel. I have a GMC Yukon and a Jeep CJ7, both gas and both leak like crazy. Diesel has nothing to do with oil leaks.

Where's Bruce?

I find the specs and comparison to the Rubicon a compelling argument for the PW. No leaf springs, 30" of water clearance, 410 gears, front & rear lockers, electronic locking differentials, and other unique design features to make it the softest riding truck in it's class without sacrificing hardcore offroad performance. These features are shown beginning at the 2:15 mark on the video below. I am slowly talking myself into one of these.

[video=youtube;IqNAKMD2ufM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNAKMD2ufM[/video]

fishnhunt

I find the specs and comparison to the Rubicon a compelling argument for the PW. No leaf springs, 30" of water clearance, 410 gears, front & rear lockers, electronic locking differentials, and other unique design features to make it the softest riding truck in it's class without sacrificing hardcore offroad performance. These features are shown beginning at the 2:15 mark on the video below. I am slowly talking myself into one of these.

[video=youtube;IqNAKMD2ufM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqNAKMD2ufM[/video]
These trucks ride really nice with the rear coils. Really smooth riding and it corners well. My only complaint is that they don't take weight well. I'm going to put air bags under mine and I think that will fix my problem.

OPAH

Have 8.1 liter Vortec in my 05 GMC 3X4 ton Yukon 4X4 with the dual Alison transmission. Over 110,000.00 with out a hiccup, in fact I still have the new plugs and wires setting in the truck because it is running perfect and don't want to mess with it when it is running so good. 4X4 bus with all the goodies.

Where's Bruce?

Yeah...my '99 Ram is pushing 170K and running strong but lacksw the balls to climb the scary stuff. I rarely put any real weight on my truck...I add sand to the bed so it doesn't hydroplane in the wet season.

Fredezee

The Power wagon looks awesome! I've been looking at their reviews. I'm on the verge of trading my truck in as well. 2006 Big Horn Ram 4x4 Hemi, 180k miles and my water pump just blew its seal this weekend pulling it out of my driveway, thank god I was just at my driveway. First time for a major fix other than a transmission shift module going out a couple years ago. Fixing it myself this weekend. Undecided if I should just fix and keep it and just buy the Ram Rebel. That's what I really been having my eye on. Very similar looking to the Power wagon, 4x4 upgrades but not as beefed up and an optional 5.7 hemi. Sweet looking interior.

adam32

I looked at the Rebels, they seem way overpriced to me for what they come with??? A different grill and some aftermarket shocks is about it for over $10,000 more then a standard 1500??

I like the Powerwagons a lot, just not the newer Rebel styled models, the Laramie Powerwagons pre-2016 are about the best truck money can buy imo!!! :)

Planetcat

I can't believe that Ram's excuse for not putting a diesel in that truck is that "the engine is heavy for off road use and that the turbo interferes with the winch." The spec's on it really are amazing. I think the winch is important, even with the lockers, as I know me and my hunting buddies would not be able to push my 3/4 ton Ram out of stuck mud. That base model version looks like a good buy too.

Top Bottom