• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

New 30/06 Non-lead coming to town!!

OPAH

It had to Happen sooner or later, and I prefer sooner! loading the first 20 rounds of lead free 30/06 for my
Browning BOSS, will need to tune the rifle and sight in the scope at 200 yrds.
Going to Photo Doc: the BOSS tuning not so much the scope, to many BOSS non-believers out there. If all pans out all in our group will have custom non-lead rounds, the first 20 rounds will be o play with the BOSS system again, will not be able to Finalize mine until we get the magic round for he non-Boss rifles, once they are good then I can Tune mine to that load. I know hit a paper plate 3 times at 200 your gold, But hit a half dollar 3 times and your are platinum and you should be able to reach out another 200 yards when the shot may present it's self. But its all speculation at the moment, Proof is in the placement. Clover leafs at 200?

OPAH

Well was not what I had planned, the rounds we made did not perform as well as we had hoped for and I was unable to tune the Boss.
we Loaded 165 boat tail non-lead bullets, with 46 Grains IMR 4320, and LRP 200.
After five rounds of 3 we had very wide groups, finally put 3 rounds of the factory thru the Boss and both of us had 2" or better groups.
4+ inches higher on the target. Looks like we are going to heat up the round a bit and load 50 grain, and see if it helps.
I will have the pics a little later this morning

Last edited:

OPAH

Really I'll take a look at It Thank you
OK got room now

Last edited:

OPAH

Well here are the results from our first venture, it may look not to bad out of my BOSS but The Bruce's Rem was all over the board

Last edited:

OPAH

Have under 2" groups, clover leafs when tuned to the round. looking to reload our own unleaded and gain accuracy, reliability and save some money. That was the first formula we tried, really did bad in the Bruce's Remington, He's pics are coming.
when we get a round that works well in his Rem, Them I'll Retune My BOSS for that round, and back to Clover leafs at 100 yrds

Planetcat

What barrel twist are you guys shooting with? 1:10? Maybe try the 150 gr. coppers? I get mediocre, but acceptable, hunting groups out of 165's with a 1:11 twist barrel (Benelli R1 .30-06). Factory Barnes, Hornady GMX, or Federal Barnes Copper. I can't hit squat with the Winchester e-tips.

eoats

Out of my Weatherby Vanguard (1:10) I get my best 30-06 groups with:
1. Hornady Super Perforamance GMX 165 gr. (got my 1st sub MOA groups with these).
2. Barnes Vor-TX 165gr
3. Barnes Vor-TX 180gr
4. Remington 'Hog' 168gr (Barnes bullet)

Hornady 'Full Boar' 165gr doesn't do so well, which is interesting and seems to show that the same bullet wants to be pushed a little faster out of my barrel.
Super Performance is labeled as 2940fps
Full Boar labeled as 2800fps
(Barnes is labeled for 2800fps on the 168gr & 2700fps for the 180gr.)

Anything with the Nosler bullets doesn't group well for me.
Worst, out of my rifle, was almost 8" at 200yards with the Winchester Supreme & Nosler 150gr (also the most expensive at 55/box).

OPAH

Really goes to show unless you have the BOSS you must shop the ammo for the best fit for your rifle.
We purchase a significant amount of 165 NL boat tails and the IMR 4320 powder, picked this combo because it had the most accurate at the lower powder loads and if needed we had plenty of room to increase the powder load.
At the moment Factory Hornady NL 165 work very well I the Remington 700 and the Barnes NL 165 shoot clover, OK 1" groups.
out of my Browning BOSS. Not sure why we got our hooks into 165 bullets, but we have been shooting them
for as long as I can remember with very good success.
But our aim here is to get a round we both shoot and shoot very well from both rifles, Load a bunch and not
worry if there are any for sale in California next year or the year after or after that.

The Camel Package Last year and the plate this Sunday

Last edited:

OPAH

Here Is The Bruce's wit his Remington, the second pic is from the BOSS by mistake
But he is pretty much every where

Last edited:

Planetcat

Really goes to show unless you have the BOSS you must shop the ammo for the best fit for your rifle.
We purchase a significant amount of 165 NL boat tails and the IMR 4320 powder, picked this combo because it had the most accurate at the lower powder loads and if needed we had plenty of room to increase the powder load.
At the moment Factory Hornady NL 165 work very well I the Remington 700 and the Barnes NL 165 shoot clover, OK 1" groups.
out of my Browning BOSS. Not sure why we got our hooks into 165 bullets, but we have been shooting them
for as long as I can remember with very good success.
But our aim here is to get a round we both shoot and shoot very well from both rifles, Load a bunch and not
worry if there are any for sale in California next year or the year after or after that.

The Camel Package Last year and the plate this Sunday
I've got to commend you guys for being persistent in trying to find a non-lead, CA legal bullet/load that shoots acceptable in two very different rifles. At least you both have the same twist rate. How about putting something like a Limbsaver Barrel Deresonator on Bruce's barrel to sort of act like a non-adjustable BOSS system. I don't know anyone who's used one, but it could change the harmonics of his barrel in a good way. Just a thought.

Planetcat

I hit everything with them, pig, deer, bear... They work so well for me, it's like point and shoot, and something falls over dead.
They are a great bullet. I wish they shot well out of my rifle. Federal Fusions shoot like that for me. Unfortunately, in a couple of years that won't matter. :(

OPAH

Figure to ease the powder load gently until we hit the Rem's sweet spot, then I'll tune mine.

adam32

Adjust the COAL also, the mono metal stuff is pretty finicky. Fast twist and tight chambers seem to help the most.

There's a reason they aren't out there winning any BR matches...

OPAH

I've got to commend you guys for being persistent in trying to find a non-lead, CA legal bullet/load that shoots acceptable in two very different rifles. At least you both have the same twist rate. How about putting something like a Limbsaver Barrel Deresonator on Bruce's barrel to sort of act like a non-adjustable BOSS system. I don't know anyone who's used one, but it could change the harmonics of his barrel in a good way. Just a thought.
would you know off hand what the twist rate is? be nice to know

Planetcat

would you know off hand what the twist rate is? be nice to know
If they're fairly modern Rem 700 and Browning, the twist rate on .30-06 should both be 1:10. I would think the 165 grain bullets would be fine in both, but seems like not the case. My strange experience with barrel twist, Benelli in .30-06, 1:11 (slower) twist and Browning Bar .308, 1:12 (even slower) twist, both favor heavy bullets like 180's. Given the slower twist rates, theoretically they should favor lighter bullets, like 150's. The copper loads really change things though, since they're physically longer than lead bullets at the same weight. I'm curious to see how this turns out for you guys.

OPAH

Well the top end of this formula is 50 grain, we have done 46, so this time out we are going o make (20) 48 and (20) 50 grain, hopefully one of the two will perform out of the Remington. So Sunday we will give it another shot!

Top Bottom