New AMMO Laws

Sarghunter

The BS Games have started.

One of my buddies went into a Turners to purchase some shotgun shells . tHEY WOULD NOT SELL HIM THE SHELLS WITH OUT A bIRTH cERTIFICATE. THIS PERSON IN THE LAST 2 YEARS HAS PURCHASED A COUPLE FIREARMS. :chimp:

Revo2811

What was the reason?
Are the guns registered to him? Same address?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sarghunter

Reason they Gave did not Have Birth Certificate in his Possession. Guns registered to Him at Same Address, Pure BS, Just last year he bought a Glock

Neanderthal

My guess is that he did not have a Real ID. I would have asked to speak to a manager. But if he had a DL that says "Fed limits apply", then they're going to want a passport or birth cert.

ChrisAMX

I recently purchased from Turners. I had a recent firearm purchase and a Real ID. Cost was a dollar. I went during daytime, around 2:00 and I was only customer. It took about 15 minutes.

3shot

My experience....

I recently tried to purchase ammunition at Turner's and was "Deny/Reject" during the Standard Ammunition Eligibility Check." Went to the CFARS website and provided my DROS# and was given the following explanation... "You have been rejected for one of the following reasons: 1) you do not have a AFS record or 2) the information you provided to the ammunition vendor does not match the AFS record that is on file. Information on what establishes an AFS record or how to update an existing AFS record can be found at CFARS Home." From there I paid a $19 fee to fill out a "Firearm Ownership Report". I did so because the clerk told me that gun ownership records only go back five (5) years. The shotgun in my name was purchased in 2002. Then I accessed the "Automated Firearms System (AFS) Personal Information Update." I proceeded to update my personal information as well as details asked about my firearm. I even provided a scan of my original receipt from Turners as proof of accuracy of information provided. Now today, I received an email from the Reporting and Quality Assurance Section (Bureau of Firearms... For: Attorney General Xavier Becerra) that stated, "The identifying personal and/or firearm information you provided could not be "matched" with records within the Department's Automated Firearms System. As a result, your personal information HAS NOT been updated." I replied to the latest email and asked to help me understand (and rectify) the discrepancy with my updated information and why it could not be "matched" with the records within the Department's Automated Firearms System. How do I "match" their records? I don't know what they have for me??? As of now, I am an X-Peace Officer who had to pass an extensive background check, and now I can't even buy ammunition in California! I feel like I'm getting the run-a-round. I called the phone number provided for assistance, but good luck navigating the menus and talking to a real person!! I can't help but think this is AG Becerra's (known for anti-gun policies) agenda. Make the process of purchasing ammunition as difficult as possible!!! Or he hopes I simply give up on the process. Or that I have to retain a lawyer to help me this this insane new law. And that is out of the question!!! Anyway, I did stock up on ammunition before this horrible law went into effect so I'm good on supplies for this years hunting season. I was afraid this would happen and it would be a long drawn out process to buy ammunition in California again. Sucks!!! I will update as i venture through this journey.

Just FYI:
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Any other experiences people can share that might help other people.

Common Sense

Unfortunately it is democracy. I am sure the vast majority of people who live in California like the law. But I thought our Bill of Rights was supposed to protect God given rights in our republic.

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
My experience....

I recently tried to purchase ammunition at Turner's and was "Deny/Reject" during the Standard Ammunition Eligibility Check." Went to the CFARS website and provided my DROS# and was given the following explanation... "You have been rejected for one of the following reasons: 1) you do not have a AFS record or 2) the information you provided to the ammunition vendor does not match the AFS record that is on file. Information on what establishes an AFS record or how to update an existing AFS record can be found at CFARS Home." From there I paid a $19 fee to fill out a "Firearm Ownership Report". I did so because the clerk told me that gun ownership records only go back five (5) years. The shotgun in my name was purchased in 2002. Then I accessed the "Automated Firearms System (AFS) Personal Information Update." I proceeded to update my personal information as well as details asked about my firearm. I even provided a scan of my original receipt from Turners as proof of accuracy of information provided. Now today, I received an email from the Reporting and Quality Assurance Section (Bureau of Firearms... For: Attorney General Xavier Becerra) that stated, "The identifying personal and/or firearm information you provided could not be "matched" with records within the Department's Automated Firearms System. As a result, your personal information HAS NOT been updated." I replied to the latest email and asked to help me understand (and rectify) the discrepancy with my updated information and why it could not be "matched" with the records within the Department's Automated Firearms System. How do I "match" their records? I don't know what they have for me??? As of now, I am an X-Peace Officer who had to pass an extensive background check, and now I can't even buy ammunition in California! I feel like I'm getting the run-a-round. I called the phone number provided for assistance, but good luck navigating the menus and talking to a real person!! I can't help but think this is AG Becerra's (known for anti-gun policies) agenda. Make the process of purchasing ammunition as difficult as possible!!! Or he hopes I simply give up on the process. Or that I have to retain a lawyer to help me this this insane new law. And that is out of the question!!! Anyway, I did stock up on ammunition before this horrible law went into effect so I'm good on supplies for this years hunting season. I was afraid this would happen and it would be a long drawn out process to buy ammunition in California again. Sucks!!! I will update as i venture through this journey.

Just FYI:
https://oag.ca.gov/firearms

Any other experiences people can share that might help other people.
Sound to me like it's working exactly as they intended that it would. And I agree with your summation of why...

pierpont scott

Being a police officer or ex police officer you're no more special than any other California resident that has to go through a background check to buy ammunition.

jamesmangan

I was there picking up a rifle...I am pretty sure it was the same guy you refer to was being denied who had an On Target range shirt on...he kept saying "but I bought a gun at this address this year? These laws are crazy....

Marty

According to the "liberal" / anti-2A politicians, you have the right to a firearm but not the ammunition.
What do out-of-state residents have to do to purchase ammunition in CA ??

And to prove how inept the politicians in CA are; the "real-ID" requirements are identical to those needed for a commercial driver's license (federally compliant); however, they did not acknowledge that point in the language of the law. So, many CDL holders have been paying for a new driver's license. One DMV clerk told me that CDL's would receive a "real-ID" at the time of their license renewal. ( oh, sure... )

Limited Out

The same state government that brought us the likes of the highly efficient DMV and other agencies now is going use the same skill sets to control ammo sales, this ought to be good. I am sure glad I reload most of the stuff I shoot. A ton of headaches for the law abiding citizens, no problem for the criminals.

dustin ray

According to the "liberal" / anti-2A politicians, you have the right to a firearm but not the ammunition.
What do out-of-state residents have to do to purchase ammunition in CA ??

And to prove how inept the politicians in CA are; the "real-ID" requirements are identical to those needed for a commercial driver's license (federally compliant); however, they did not acknowledge that point in the language of the law. So, many CDL holders have been paying for a new driver's license. One DMV clerk told me that CDL's would receive a "real-ID" at the time of their license renewal. ( oh, sure... )
I could be mistaken but i don't think out-of-state res can't buy

3shot

Okay, first update in my journey to buy ammunition in California.... (Please see post #7 in this thread)

I just received an email fro the DOJ which states,

"The California Department of Justice has received your electronic application; however, it cannot be processed for the following reason(s):

• Effective 07/01/2019, a copy of your CA driver license or ID is required. In addition, if "FEDERAL LIMITS APPLY" appears on your CA driver license or ID, you need to submit additional documentation (Cal. Code Reg., tit. 11, sec. 4045.1 subd. (b-c)). For more info, refer to the Bureau's website at https://oag.ca.gov/firearms. Please provide the requested information within 30 days. Failure to do so will result in your transaction being rejected and your firearm(s) not being recorded in your name."

Funny thing is, there was no instructions prior that stated I needed to provide a copy of my driver's license. I feel like Clint Eastwood in "Dirty Harry..." They just keep running me around!!! I'll submit my ID and will check back when I get more information.

Last edited:

dblsmk

This is Classic an Out of State Resident canBuy Hunting license , . But not ammo to hunt with ????
Well Buddy. I've been a resident in this state for 70+ yrs. (whole life) and was just refused an ammo purchase because I didn't have my birth certificate along with my Ca. drivers license. This was after a 25 min. wait for the ammo sales person at the local wal mart.

NewmanCA

This law is a disaster. My background. I have a clean record. Not even a traffic ticket. I have never purchased a firearm in california since background checks went into effect. I have the old license which is not expired yet. Under the regs, the old california license is supposed to be sufficient to purchase ammo as long is it is not expired. You are supposed to only show a passport or birth certificate if you have a license that says Federal Limits apply. My horror strory

I first go to Walmart. The employee insists that I need to show a birth certificate or passport even though according to the regs I don't need to. He also states Walmart does not have the ability to run the expanded $19 background check. So I go to Big 5 in Modesto. I pay the $19 and have a background check run. I look online and a couple of days later it says online I was approved and this approval is good for 30 days. This was on July 19th. So yesterday I go to Big 5 in Los Banos and attempt to purchase a few boxes of ammo. I pay the $1 and it comes back rejected. I called the Modesto Big 5 store. The person there told me that CA has changed the rules and she said my choices are as follows.

1) You can register one of your old guns and resubmit a $19 background check.

2) You can purchase a new gun and submit another $19 background check

3) You pay $19 and have an expanded check everytime you purchase shells.

There is no way in hell I am going to do #1. I am considering buying the cheapest gun out there and doing #2 but who knows what these clowns at the CADOJ will come up with next.

3) If I could by a couple of cases at a time the $19 is bad but not as horrible. But getting nonlead shells in quantity at a reasonable price is difficult. Walmart gets 10 boxes in and they are gone the next day and then don't get shells in for another 2 weeks. But their shelves are overrrun with lead shot that no one is buying. One Big 5 had no non lead and the other had four boxes. The person at Big 5 told me they get a few boxes at a time and they are gone the next day. The lawsuit against this disaster is going to be heard August 19th. Lets hope the judge quickly puts an injunction against it.

Sarghunter

This is a BackDOOR Approach to Limiting if not Eliminating HUNTING in this F---ed UP State........

You Watch when Hunting License Sales are DOWN and Revenue is Impacted Here Comes the LICENSE Fee I N C R E A S E

NewmanCA

This is a BackDOOR Approach to Limiting if not Eliminating HUNTING in this F---ed UP State........

You Watch when Hunting License Sales are DOWN and Revenue is Impacted Here Comes the LICENSE Fee I N C R E A S E

Sarghunter,

This is a backdoor approach along with other laws, to make it virtually impossible to own a gun in california. The gun grabbers in the state capital know that passing an outright gun ban would never survive a legal challenge so they are going after guns by just passing law after law adding new requirements or restrictions that when you take as a whole make it almost impossible to get a gun. Luckily I have some nonlead ammo purchased before the ammo law. I am heading to South Lake Tahoe this weekend. I checked a couple of closest places to buy ammo in Nevada and they are out. Seems California folks are going over there and buying everything out. It has been a couple of weeks and I still have not been able to purchase ammo since the new law went into effect. This with the non-lead requirements. I haven't been able to find a whole lot of steel shot for dove season. I work a regular job and lots of hours this time of year and don't have time to search all over the state for it.

I would encourage anyone who has had problems to go to the CA Rifle and Pistol Assn website and report your experience there. They are collecting this information to use in their lawsuit against the state ammunition law.

Top Bottom