New AMMO Laws

cjack

Went to Big 5 today, paid my $1 for the background check showed them my standard California drivers license and after about 2 minutes I walked out with 4 boxes of lead free #7 12 guage and 4 boxes for my 20 guage. It really wasn't a big deal for me.i also went to the DMV to get my new "Real" drivers license and was able to use my hunting license as proof of residence.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

zekethegreek

My bother and I have the same experience and we uploaded the dr license photo and we are waiting for an answer
good luck

Marty

The next step is to limit the purchase of ammo to the caliber of firearm that you are registered to in their database.

NewmanCA

Is it True if you are denied to purchase ammo they still Charge you the $1.00 ?????
Yes, it is true. I spent $20 and don't have a box of shells to show for it. I am not in the system. I paid $19 at Big 5 for extensive check but they never had the steel shot so that approval expired. Paid $1 at Big 5 in LB and was denied there. You pay the fee whether you are approved or denied.

3shot

Okay, second update to my journey to purchase ammo in California.... after twice logging on CFARS and updating my information, I have now received a letter informing me that my firearm is now in the DOJ's "Automated Firearms System." So today I went to my local gun shop and dropped down a $1 to see if I would finally be approved. I'm happy to report I walked out with a box of steel shot!! This whole process was a pain-in-the-ass and I had really no guidance on how to remedy the problem. I hope my post(s) can help someone who has to go through this hurdle. Good luck to all who have been denied and are in the process of getting their rights back!

dblsmk

Okay, second update to my journey to purchase ammo in California.... after twice logging on CFARS and updating my information, I have now received a letter informing me that my firearm is now in the DOJ's "Automated Firearms System." So today I went to my local gun shop and dropped down a $1 to see if I would finally be approved. I'm happy to report I walked out with a box of steel shot!! This whole process was a pain-in-the-ass and I had really no guidance on how to remedy the problem. I hope my post(s) can help someone who has to go through this hurdle. Good luck to all who have been denied and are in the process of getting their rights back!
I opened an account on the CFARS site then went whoa! I'm going to get a copy of my birth certificate and use that instead. My latest shotgun purchase was 3 yrs ago and I have enough info 'on the books'. I wish not to add any info into the system unless I have to.

NewmanCA

It is ridiculous. Registering one of my old guns to get in the system would make things easier although I really don't want to register any of them. The problem also is the lack of Steel Shot available. I don't mind paying $19 and spreading that cost over 20 to 30 boxes of shells. But the stores I have gone to only have a few boxes of non-lead at any one time.

Top Bottom