new bark camo pattern

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Hello folks,

i sometimes place my camera's on US forest service land and i like to conceal them well as you never know who might happen by one of them.

i have been tinkering around quite a good bit with different ways to camo your deer camera's, even used real pieces of tree bark to glue onto several and have used several other different ways but i have found out a very neat way to camo them by using a product called ''white lightning''.

it is a latex adhesive caulk used in the building industry and has many uses. you can get it in several different colors and is found at your local builders supply houses.
it is easily spread on and gives a very realistic look of bark when applied correctly and it also can be painted unlike silicone products.
i used several different colors on the cam below and it looks pretty good but i may touch it up a bit with some spray paint.

as you can see i took this photo on my workbench just as i got it done so excuse the mess...hehehe

this type of caulking will stick to just about anything and is tenacious about holding and not coming off so it should hold up well in the elements of the outdoors.
after applying the caulk i then used an old toothbrush to brush in the texture lines vertically to make it resemble real tree bark.
this stuff goes on real easy and dries pretty fast to the touch but requires about 4 to 5 hours of drying time if you plan on painting it afterwards.
it also cleans up with plain water but cleans up better with soapy water if you happen to get some on something you should not have , such as the lens glass or pir lense.

jayber

Reaction score
Looks pretty kewl!  How much for the Owl PF Dates in the background.......and the RS relay hanging on the wall?  Just kidding....   Looks as though you keep pretty good stock on all your components.  :)

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Pretty slick camo GunDocc. I wouldn't leave them Owl cameras near an open window, guys like Jayber and me will just be too tempted.

stanman

Reaction score
Nice work the camera looks excellent.i think i may have to try that.    Stan

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Spectr ,
you and Jaber just might get yer pic taken by another cam too.....hehehehe

then i kin look ye up with yer mug shots....lol

i have several camera's stashed out of sight still in the boxes too......hehehe

back when i had the stock manager at Wal-Mart look the camera's up fer me  by the bar code and found over a hundred camera's within 100 miles and
when they said that the owl pf was going to be a discontinued item for the chain , well then i bought 37 cameras for future deer cams from one of the closer stores.
they wanted to know what in the heck i wanted  with that many camera's ....hehehehe  I just grinned real big and paid em

gizz

Reaction score
CAPTION:
"SO YOU WANT TO BUILD A HOMEBREW EH?"
Gun Doc gets my vote for capturing the true essence of homebrew cam building. That work bench with all those parts is giving me the urge to build more.

Thanks for the camo and calk ideas too.

(Edited by gizz at 8:39 am on July 14, 2001)

Steve Jo

Reaction score
Did you use different colors of calk to achieve that or did you paint it?  What kind of paint do you recomend?

Im gonna try this, and add in some burlap to dirty up the outline.

God I love this web site!

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Steve jo,

yes i used 3 different colors of caulk made by white lightning found in your local builders supply house.
i used brown, gray and cedar colors and used no paint.
the last few i have made i have gotten pretty good with the camo and they are awesome looking....hehehe

apply the caulk in rows leaving enough room between each for another color until you have it applied about 1/4 inch to 3/8th inch deep then take a stiff bristle brush and simply stroke it vertically to achieve the right bark texture.
this way you will have kinda like small crevaces in it just like real bark does on trees.

try it you won't be dissapointed with the results.

Later,

Latest Posts

Top Bottom