New Batch of Venison Jerky

superduty

Reaction score
Just finished two batches of venison jerky.:) I had to make room in the freezer for this years fishing and hunting so I took out everything I had left of our venison and got started. Cured one four lb. batch of Garlic and Cracked Pepper and one four lb. batch of Mesquite. Asked the wife if she had seen my dehydrator and BAM, just finished this morning. I've been enjoying it all day here at work.:smiley-mouse:

inchr48

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Sounds great. I like Soy Sauce with brown sugar, mixed peppercorns, onion and garlic powders. Then very light smoke while drying.

buckfever07

Reaction score
I marinate mine in kikomman honey pineapple baste and glaze with some cheap wine and liquid smoke.
Now I'm hungry! :pickin-on-horse:

Buck

superduty

Reaction score
I used to marinade mine too but it sure makes a mess out of my dehydrator. I did a search here as always and ordered some cure salt and brine rubs from a site suggested on a post and it worked out awesome plus no mess. Sliced the meat, mixed the cure salt with the spices and sprinkled both sides, 24hrs later pulled out of zippy and placed in dehydrator. I just propositioned my Uncle who shot a nice bull elk last season for some more meat. He also has a slicer that hasn't been used but once or twice that might come in handy.:smiley-mouse:

BelchFire

I speak fluent Vise-Grip
Admin
Reaction score
........ He also has a slicer that hasn't been used but once or twice that might come in handy.:smiley-mouse:
NOW you have my attention. That's the worst part of jerky to me. I've been grinding mine just so I don't have to fool with cutting all those strips. Grinding makes the dry mix work out better too.

But if I had a slicer......... !

Widux

Reaction score
I use Ralph's Very Good Jerky recipe( moose- bear- deer-goose)--My own and smoke jerky for 2 hrs or so before putting in dehydrator- got to make BIG batch this mos as we are going to be in MT for almost 3 mos this fall and guys there devour it fast.

trapperbr549

Reaction score
NOW you have my attention. That's the worst part of jerky to me. I've been grinding mine just so I don't have to fool with cutting all those strips. Grinding makes the dry mix work out better too.

But if I had a slicer......... !
I found that after the meat is thawed if I put it back in the freezer for an hour or two until the outside 1/4" or so gets frozen it is much easier to slice. Also, I slice it a little thicker than I want the jerky. Then lay the slice on the cutting board and lay my knife on top of the slice with the flat part of the knife laying on the jerky. I turn the cutting edge of the knife up slightly so it doesn't cut into the meat and slide the knife down the meat while applying pressure with the knife. It flattens the meat out to about half the original thickness and makes the slice longer and wider. It is a lot easier to do than it is to describe, believe me. :lol bashing sign:
Don't get me wrong, if I had a slicer I would definitely use it but since I don't I drink beer and get by with a sharp knife.

Widux

Reaction score
I slice all my jerky a bit thicker than most- Mkaes it very good and not crisp- habe never liked or made any ground jerky- if i want burger i make it--

Latest Posts

Top Bottom