New Bay Area hunter

Newb124

Reaction score
So I am trying to get into pig and predator hunting. I live in San Jose have my gun,license,tags,gear but honestly have no idea where I can hunt. I work in construction so I don’t have a ton of extra cash to spend on a guided hunt. Honestly just seeing if anyone could shed some light. I have been looking at Cottonwood creek, Los Padres national forest, Ventana Wilderness. With that said I don’t know where to hunt in those areas or if there is really any pig/predator hunting opportunities. I seriously understand not wanting to give up your spot and I do not want that I would rather know I am pointed in the right direction. Up to go on hunts with someone to learn the ropes

Common Sense

Reaction score
Haven't been to any of those places lately, but 20 years ago I would have recommended Cottonwood Creek. If you want a secret spot, that is easy; water. Cottonwood Creek does require good legs compared to the other places.

Any of the spots you mentioned has more poison oak and tick than game!

Newb124

Reaction score
Is there any public land that has game? Have you ever hunted Carizzo? Do I need a land pass to go hunt those areas? Any information is extremely appreciated

Common Sense

Reaction score
Never been to Carizzo Plains, Cottonwood Creek has as much game as you are going to find on public property. You usually don't need a pass for Cottonwood Creek except opening weekend of deer season. But it may only be open from August to January, so check it out before you go, it is owned by Dept of Fish & Wildlife, so you can check on-line or call the Los Banos office.

Newb124

Reaction score
Awesome thank you! I’m going to give Los Banos office a call. Trying to get out first weekend after this damn shelter in place

Latest Posts

Top Bottom