new box

coyotehunters

Reaction score
I FOUND AN OLD CONTROL BOX AT WORK THAT HAS A GLASS WINDOW IN THE FRONT.THE WINDOW IS ABOUT 3" X 6".HAS ANYONE TRIED USING SOMETHING LIKE THIS OR WOULD THE BIG GLASS WINDOW CAUSE PROBLEMS VERSUS THE TWO HOLES FOR FLASH AND SHUTTER.

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Some guys have thought the flash would bleed "inside" the solid glass over to the Lens and cause problems but I think if you put a gasket around the lens opening of the camera and the camera is held tight up against the glass it'd be ok.

I bought a roll of 2" wide & 1/8" thick rubber foam window seal tape.  It's sticky on one side.  I usually cut half circles out of a piece and stick this down on the 2" glass lens covers I glue to my enclosures (then use a 2nd piece to complete the circle) but I don't see why it can't be applied directly to the camera.

I bet this works, let up know for sure.  

Don't forget, the camera has to be pressed up against the glass firmly for a good seal....

Tinhorn

Possum

Reaction score
I have used a single piece of glass in all three cams I have.  There is no flash bleed on any of them unless 1. The foam does not seal completely (And I mean completely) or 2. The camera is completely off the glass and not pressed up against it.  Two pieces definately helps but one will work too.

kfen

Reaction score
I agree with Possum. I have made 15 cameras the first two or three I made with two pieces of glass and the rest with a single piece. I was also worried about bleed through but I have not had any proublems yet. Some times a picture taken will have a mourning dew and cause it to look like a flash washout.

bmulley

Reaction score
I had a single piece of glass on 3 of my cams and got bleed through from the flash when taken at night(I'm using Lexan).  I believe it was acting almost like fiber optic.  Since I've used separate pieces and colored the edges with and opaque marker, I've had no other problems.

jayber

Reaction score
Yep, I started with a single piece of glass, flash hole surrounded, but found that the flash would travel through the glass into the shutter view.  I could exaggerate it by covering the flash hole and allowing the camera to fire in the dark.  So, I went to using two separate pieces, painting the edges black.  That took too long to dry so now I just use a magic marker on the edges.  It does the trick!

springdrl

Reaction score
Yes, I agree totally with Tinhorn. Some light will bounce back and forth within the glass and appear near the edges only to be picked up by the glass edge next to it. This is same principle that governs  fiber optics.

deadcell

Reaction score
I agree also, I had the same problem with my first cam using two pieces of glass butted together. I had to pry the glass off the box and seperate them just enough to squirt in some black rtv between the two sheets, since then i haven't had the flash bleed through in the upper left hand corner of the pictures. DC

Latest Posts

Top Bottom