New Builder

Lew

Reaction score
You guys have me hooked and I am trying to build a unit.  I got a Canon PF Date camera and successfully rewired the circuit board so when I touch the wires together the camera fires.  I couldn't find a recommended PIR, but did find a 9v motion activiated light adaptor by Lamson Home Porducts.  I hooked it up to the RS Reed relay#275-232.  The PIR sends out 5v, but in a short burst, trips the relay but not long enough to fire the camera.  Question: Is there a different relay that would stay open longer, or do I need to get a different PIR??? Thanks.  Lew

Lew

Reaction score
Passthru,  I thought I had read everything, but somehow missed just what I needed.  Thanks for the help.  I will let you konw how the final product turns out.   Lew

gizz

Reaction score
Lew, davered -
I've done it this way as well but I must warn you that I've gotten weird reset times that are not very consistent. Gun Docc has stated this as well. What I have noticed though is that after SEVERAL minutes (as in 5 mins or so) with the sensor powered on the reset times become more predictable but still not exact.
If this is your first cam Lew I'd consider finding an RS PIR or the MS20 PIR. They're fairly straightforward.
IF your up to it you can build the 555 circuit for the LAMSON PIR but I just don't want to see you get frustrated on your first cam. The Lamson is a very good PIR but it is not the easiest to use cause of the 555 circuit. It's not tough to build but if your not into electronics much than it may be a bit much for your first...Just my opinion.

Lew

Reaction score
gizz,  I'm a real novice at this, so I am buying a prebuiilt 555 kit from Kevin in Ga.  Hopefully I can learn from his expertise and be able to build a timer on my own for my next unit.  Just as a side note, I think I found just about the perfect housing for the unit.  A waterproof Lexan(Polycarbaonate) Utility box made by GSI Outdoors.  It has an interior of 3 1/2x5 1/8x6 5/8.  Very tough and with an O-ring door seal for $15 and I got it at Gander Mountain.  Thanks for your help.  Lew

Top Bottom