New CA free range hog record, 733.51 lb. #3 in world. Taken near Ft. Bragg CA by Joe Orth.

WoodGrain

Reaction score
That is a big-Ol'-SOB. Cool picture and story!

WoodGrain

BigSurArcher

Reaction score
I find it hard to believe that hog wasn't a pen raised. I hunt between Cloverdale and Fort Bragg a ton, and I know that the genetics in that country is very different from what the hog in that photo displays. Not that I really give a damn, but that's my observation.

jls456

Reaction score
That is a Big boy. The can get pretty good size on private land,with good habitat.

Good Job.

bisonic

Reaction score
Very big pig indeed and congrats!

People should understand how boars are scored - the hog weighed 372 lbs but then to score it you add 100 lbs per inch of lower tusk, thus the scored weight of 733 "lbs".

See http://www.southernoutdoorproducts.com/wwt.htm for scoring method.

Shoobee

Banned
Reaction score
As big or bigger than a black bear. Amazing.

I too am guessing it grew up somewhere on a ranch, in peace, with lots of "help."

Last edited:

StoneTower

Reaction score
Very big pig indeed and congrats!

People should understand how boars are scored - the hog weighed 372 lbs but then to score it you add 100 lbs per inch of lower tusk, thus the scored weight of 733 "lbs".

See http://www.southernoutdoorproducts.com/wwt.htm for scoring method.
If that is the way they score those big hogs it is dumb. It sounds like a bunch of drunk rednecks were sitting around a campfire after a hunt and telling "mine is bigger than yours" stories. Score the tusks if you want or even a ratio of weight to tusks but to add weight because something has big teeth has no logic. The reason a "big" animal had value originally was because it had more meat for the tribe. You don't give a fast car extra points and add to is "top speed" because it has nice looking tires and rims. To jump a 372 pound hog to 733 is just wrong. If someone tells me that they shot a 733 pound hog I expect to see a monster not a 372 pound hog that has a dental problem :)

TonyS

Reaction score
Thanks bisonic! I was going to call BS on that being a 700+ hog. But you explained it. I sure wouldn't want to wound that hog and have him come after me.

mtnsammy

Reaction score
Oh great now we have to have a woman nearby to measure the tusk. We all know we can't measure 6 inches right!!!!!

I will just weigh mine as my wife can tell ya I am great at guessing weight???

henmar77

Reaction score
yea hard to believe. I read a scientific study on wild pigs. It stated that there is not enough subsistence in nature (especially in CA) to grow and sustain a animal of that size. They said that they max out at about 350 pounds. I think I remember they said the same thing about Hogzilla and determined that he was eating feed from a local farm.

asaxon

Reaction score
As usual, newspaper got it wrong. It isn't pounds,it is POINTS. Weight + tusks = POINTS. Doh. Even then the systems seem dumb but someone wants to make hogs into "trophy hunting game". See the first link

http://www.southernoutdoorproducts.com/wwt.htm

I like this one, since there a multiple scoring systems, pick the one that gives you the biggest size.

http://wildboarhunting.blogspot.com/2007/05/your-trophy-boar-didnt-score-just-use.html

I agree, a bunch of nonsense. Go hunting and have fun. I'd like to see them score hunters this way. Lets see, I'm 165 lbs and I add 100 points for each inch so I'd estimate I'm a 1165 pointer. Damn, I took a ruler and actually measured, I'm a 265 pointer....

catchdog

Reaction score
Stone Tower, That scoring system is to stupid even for Rednecks. Sounds like SCI .
nice big hog, congrats to the hunter.

mezcan

Reaction score
Oh great now we have to have a woman nearby to measure the tusk. We all know we can't measure 6 inches right!!!!!

I will just weigh mine as my wife can tell ya I am great at guessing weight???
Dude . You just won the " funniest post I've ever read in my life " award ! ROTGLMFAO !!!!!

Steve Walters

Reaction score
I've always used the CBH (California Bowmen Hunters CBH/SAA) as a guideline to measure a hogs skull for standards. Skull max length + max Width + total Tusk length after being pulled from the jaw. Measured after 60 days of drying. A Large trophy boar would be 35-37" total, and anything close to 40" is a monster.

Using a hogs weight as a measurement too seems foolish to me. Be like using it for a deer too....

Bubblehide

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not one that cares for measuring the tusks as a part of an official scoring system. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate a boar with nice long tusks; but the reality is that most pigs in most areas, wear their tusks down, it's just a natural part of them making their living. Big pigs with little wear to their tusks is an indication that their not doing much rooting, living in an area with soft easy to root ground, or feeding on other food sources. As such, I simply, IMNSHO, think that measuring a pigs tusks as a part of a scoring system, just isn't reasonable in measuring a trophy. But then again, how does an invasive species ever get considered a trophy.

I additionally noticed that this is the "free range" record, just how are they defining free range? I mean, I buy free range chicken at the market.

Last edited:

MikenSoCo

Reaction score
I've killed alot of hogs in Sonoma Co... I've never measured one. That being said, take a look at the hog in my avatar. It is a monster. Long razor sharp tusks, both ears ripped up from battling its whole life, and scars and holes all over the front half of his body. It is the biggest boar I've ever gotten. In my 20+ years of experience, I'd guess he weighed 300 lbs. at the most. He lived on pristine property, with no agriculture to feed on. Acorns up the ying yang. Congrats to those guys for a nice hog, not taking anything away there. But 700+ pounds, no way without feeding. They're also sitting several feet if not yards behind that hog in the pic. Looks good though!

bisonic

Reaction score
Miken - read the posts above. The weighed 372 lbs, enormous but not impossible. Adding the lengths of the cutters brought the "score" to over 700, a number incorrectly referred to as "pounds".

Top Bottom