New Camera Alternatives

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Well after getting frustrated with trying to locate Owl PFs down here in south Mississippi, I decided to just get on EBAY and buy one of every camera that I thought might work.  

I bought many different cameras, and I soon found out that most either had a mechanical shutter, or a self shutoff which I did not to hassle with.  I did not try any zoom cameras because I know most of them always have a power save shutoff feature.  

Well after many purchases (I think I  bought 10 different cameras), I have found two that work extremely well in my new cam.  They are the Samsung Maxima 33 with date and the Fuji Discovery 90 with date.  I have figured out the wiring connections needed to fire each of the camera and will try to have some detailed pictures posted.  

Both have PCB boards and not flex boards in them, so it makes soldering quite easy.  Of the two, I prefer the Samsung Maxima because it seems to have a better flash.  I am trying to get my homepage up by next week and will post them there.  

P.S.
I also just figured out the Minolta Freedom AF35R QD camera tonight.  It was quite a bit more tricky to disassemble and the connections we hard to figure out, but it looks like I got it.  I am setting up my AOL homepage and will post it along with the Fuji and the Samsung directions.   All that is required to fire all of the cameras is to simply connect the two leads together with a simple relay or a switching transistor.  

(Edited by Jaggermax at 9:51 pm on July 7, 2001)

Jon Bain

Reaction score
I hate that you spent all that money, but I am glad you have found a couple of alternatives to the ever elusive Owl PF.  I can't wait to see the pictures.  What was the cost of these two cameras?  JB

gizz

Reaction score
I happen to have one of the Fuji Disc 90/date cameras laying around. I just haven't gotten around to tearing it apart. I too would be interested in any photos or diagrams that you come up with.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Jaggermax,
Many thanks for putting that kind of effort into finding new cams!
Interesting...Those two models are also used by a couple of the commercial trail-camera companies.

Archilochus

BowDoc

Reaction score
Both those model seem hard to find two. I looked for both and did not get a single hit

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Yea, you are right, they two are also hard to find.  However, I get mine off of ebay, and I have yet to pay more that 20 for the samsung or Fugi.  I just have a hard time coughing up $60 bucks for an owl, not including shipping.  They are great cameras, but I plan on making about 10 of these cams, and I definately need to consider the cost.  I can always get the Samsung or Fuji off EBAY for a good price, but you almost always pay shelf price for the Owls on EBAY because everyone wants one.  

bradleydale

Reaction score
How similar would the Fuji 90 be to the model 60 I wonder???? Wal-Mart has bookoos of these with the date feature for $29 I think.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi bradleydale,
The Fuji 60 AF has a power-down feature (after 30 minutes)  I'm actually kinda suprised to hear that the 90 does not shut down.

Archilochus

bradleydale

Reaction score
Archilochus,
Has anyone experimented with how to maybe modify these cameras to where they don't have the power down feature??

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi bradleydale,
I've built a few different "wake-up" circuits - ranging from absurdly complex to mildly irritating -  that can handle cams that have the shut down feature.  I have two Fuji 60 AF's and a Canon Elph LT that use the circuits and they work fine.  With minor modifications these circuits should take care of the shut down feature on any Point&Shoot cam.  I also use the same "wake-up" circuits on my Owl cams to reduce the two second shutter delay that you get if you leave the Owls sitting for  ~15 minutes without any activity.  The Owl cams actually go to sleep too, but they will wake up and take a picture if you press *and hold* the shutter button for a few seconds.  To wake up many other cams you need  to press *and release* the shutter, wait for the flash charge to top off, then press the shutter again to take a pic.   There are some cams that require you to actually turn the power switch to "off" and then back to "on" in order to wake the camera from sleep mode - those are not worth bothering with.

Archilochus

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Archy:

You have mentioned the Refresh on the Pf's before but I don't quite understand what you do.  Are you pressing the button for 1 sec every 15 min's or what?

Thanx in advance

Jaggermax:

You Hotdog ! ! ! I can't believe you spent that kind of money and are willing to share the info with us.  You get a 5 star rating from me...

Thanx a MILLION!

Tinhorn

Jaggermax

Inactive
Reaction score
Well, I have learned so much from this website that I cannot begin to tell all of you how much I have enjoyed it.  I just started to feel guilty of always receiving and never really giving.  I guess this will be my way of saying thanks.  Hopefully those of you out there that see a camera that you think may work, go ahead and try it and let us all know what you find out.  I think if we all start to try this, that we will all save some money in the long run.  

I got my websit up today (see my new post)  and was planning on posting my newe Cam along with the "How To's" of wiring the Fuji, Samsung and Minolta cameras.  However, I have a piece of crap digital camera, and it would not let me get close enough detail to show the wiring of the cameras.  I instead took out my 35MM Rebel and took the detailed pictures with that. As soon as they are developed, I will scan them and post them to my web site.  

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Tinhorn,
The circuits I use cause a 1/2 shutter press every ~10 to 15 minutes (can't even remember specs for my own circuits! - brains aging poorly)  This keeps the cam active and the flash charged up so the cam is always ready to take a pic immediately.  There's still a brief delay of <1/4 second though.

Archilochus

BowDoc

Reaction score
I had e-mail fuji about there shutdown feature on the big view 35 and there 60. They said that a seliod would wake the cam up and take picutre all in one shot. Do you think that the fuji camera would work without the refreash pulse

Top Bottom