new camera purchase?

travgibbs

Reaction score
I dont own a camera yet but im looking. Just wondering what to look for in one ? Currently thinking about a Game Vu 35mm w/12volt battery in the sportsmans guide but not sure if its a good one or not because it has only the motion detector and no infered sensor. can someone please help me out?

OhioBowHunter

Reaction score
This forum is based on people who build there own. Maybe you should consider building a Game cam. the end result will be better than ANYTHING you can buy commercially.

I would suggest Digital Oly 370/380
P32 or P41

I just completed a P52 I like it better than the P32 for flash and Picstures

swampbait

Reaction score
Hey tragibbs I'm new to the site myself what I need to know is what is the best 35mm to use to build my first game camera? If it works I'm sure the wife would let me build more . From what I have read so far the tech support is great here. I would like to start new with the first one and hit the yard sales for other cameras. So any help anyone can give to make it easier will be greatly appreciated Thanks

bowman

Reaction score
For all around 35mm, I think it would have to go out to the Owl PF good mechanics, good flash, time date stamp. Others have been used but fall short of the Owls You don't hear much about building the 35's anymore but I still have 3 left that I mostly loan out. I would jump right into one of the digitals OBH mentioned.Good Luck

arkansasbowhunter

Reaction score
IMO, don't bother with building a 35 mm set up as I don't think you can build one as cheap as you can buy a stealth cam (59.00). I would go with a digital set up. you will save money in the long run. these sony camera's average around 400 pictures off 2 AA batteries. There are a lot of boards out there, just spend a little time investigating them and don't hesitate to ask questions. Lots of friendly people out here in cyber world that will bend over backwards and try to help ya. the total cost of a sony p32 set up will vary depending on the price you get your camera for but a good average would be 225-275.00. no more film developing and great on battery consumption.

Coondog

Banned
Reaction score
bowman is correct.. I would go with the canon owl PF or AF series.. The PF has a stronger flash, but both are easy to modify and work with.. If you already have a soldering iron and stuff you can make it for around $50-60.. It will be MUCH better than the stealth cam without all of the problems. Also, it is a ton of fun to make...

bat

Reaction score
Personally I still use and build the 35mm setups. If someone comes by to look at my cams I have built and do not want to try building one or just don't have the time.. I usually set them up with a 35mm setup. That is what they prefer simply because most of the guys don't put them out that much and don't want to spend that extra dollars for the digital. It boils down to this, if you are going to use them a "lot" then you should probably go with a digital cam setup. It will pay for itself in a short period of time. "If" you are just going to use it for a couple of weeks or month, then you may want to stick with the 35mm. (I perfer the PF "Date" model... remember they also make a non-date camera so watch out and don't buy it thinking you have a date model, it should show PF Date on the front to be a date model).

In any case I would build my cams rather then buy one. It is a lot of fun to build and you take a lot of pride in knowing you built it yourself.... now you can troubleshoot it yourself without all the hassel of sending it back to a manufactor to get it fixed if needs arise. Besides you meet all these great folks here that will bend over backwards to try to help you with a problem.

travgibbs and swampbait welcome to the forum, glad to have the two of you as new members!
bat

flhunter65

Reaction score
If it's a commercial game camera your interested in you may want to look into the Leaf River Trail Cam. It uses a Cannon Owl PF with date stamp which can be used seperately. I have read here that it is considered to be the closest thing to a home brew available. I can't tell you yet from experience, I just ordered one online for $169.95 plus shipping and will recieve on the 27 th. I will post a review after some use.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom