new camerabuilder

bigborepete

Reaction score
Was wondering if the owl cameras need the signal to stay on for a while or does it just take a second or two to fire the camera.  I am getting all my parts together to build my 1st camera and am really excited. I think doing it myself is the best part of the camera. Cant wait ot get pictures.

Zeke

Reaction score
I'm no expert but from what I have seen and read on this site, it doesnt need a refresh pulse. Although I think I have also read that it helps to have one anyway to make sure the flash is fully charged up.
 I've got the workings of one cam built and ready to go in a box(tomorrow)YEEHAW!!! and gonna start my 2nd cam this weekend. I think I have been bit by "the bug" and I dont even have any pics yet. I hate to see myself after I do!  lol    Z

Possum

Reaction score
It just takes a second or two.  A refresh pulse is good to have.  I have none and only have two pics out of about 80 with a deer  cut in half.  Those perhaps were deer walking at an angle.  They WERE walking toward the cam at an angle, so I can't blame it on the camera taking too long to fire.  If you guys have it bad before the first pic is taken you all are in baaaaddd trouble.  It only gets worse.  I've had mine out for two weeks now and I am really wanting to go get them.  Half of me wants to see what they took and half of me wants to complete the new battery upgrade I want to install.  

Merry Christmas and Happy Cam building to you!

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The delay before firing is different between Owl PF's, some are worse than others.  The delay gets longer the longer the cam sets idle in the woods (or your living room)

A shutter hold-in-time of 2 seconds is probably going to be trouble eventually, the cam won't go off when a deer goes buy but it "will" refresh the flash circuit and the next deer mite get it's pix taken.

This is one reason to test it when you pick up the camera after a week or so, to be sure it fires when you walk by it

The Flash Refresh circuit will keep the flash charged so it takes a pix in 1-1/4 seconds.....

Tinhorn

springdrl

Reaction score
I installed one of JoeD's timers and have been extremely pleased with it. It is light on battery life and was easy to wire into my camera. I also like the ability to check to see how many pictures were taken without having to open the case.

deadcell

Reaction score
I have an old style Owl (round on/off switch) camera in my game cam and i just picked it up on the 21st day of December after it had been out in the woods since the 21st day of November, thats a solid month and it still flashed and took a picture within 1 sec of something triggering the PIR. Do some cameras need a refresh and some don't?? I've always heard that the refresh was needed if you put your camera out in really really cold weather, something to do with batteries becoming weak?? DC

Tinhorn

Reaction score
The Owl PF benefits from a refresh but not all cameras models do, apparently your model don't.

Makes you feel good when it still works after 30 days huh?

How many pix's did it take?  What PIR are you using and what battery?

Thanx

Tinhorn

Top Bottom