New Cheaper Cams

Rooter

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new Cabelas with the new Game Cams?  I saw at least 2 that were under $129.  It may be that the cam makers realize there are people that can make them significantly cheaper than $200+ cameras.  I enjoy making the cams, but if they are any good it is hard to pass up a cam with a warranty for almost the same money.

Archilochus

Reaction score
Hi Rooter,
The "if they are any good" is the tricky part!  I've heard mostly negative reports on the "cheapies" (search the forum for some).
Not trying to brag (ohh.. yeah, sure! :))  but one of my 100US$ home-brews would probably end up in the $375 to $400+ range if I tried to buy equal quality / functionality in a "store-bought" cam.  For the most part, home-brewers build cams that are far better (durability/functionality) than the inexpensive "store-bought" cams.  Now that Brian is offering his remarkable controller chips, the cheap manufactured cams don't stand a chance!!

$0.02

Archilochus

jayber

Reaction score
I'll second that!!  And I've examined some of the lower cost ones.  Just to look at some of the flimsy cases makes me chuckle.  Got to wonder how 'cheap' the rest of it's made!  And I know some of them that claim to be water resistant are leakers.  Oh well, somebody will buy them I'm sure.  I know I wouldn't......even if I didn't find this site!

woodsman

Reaction score
That's a hell of a deal ! There's no fun bying one, when you can build it your self,
That's all the fun for me :smile-big-blue:

BigPete

Reaction score
Rooter - I noticed and wondered the same thing when Cabela's archery catalog arrived earlier this week.  Those cheap units also are equipped w/ timers, test circuits, time/date, etc.!  Would be interesting to pull them apart to see how they are made, what cameras they use, etc.  Yep, it is fun to make them but............

(Edited by BigPete at 1:00 pm on May 8, 2002)

jayber

Reaction score
You got the 2002 Archery catalog?!  Oh, boy......goodie, goodie, goodie!!!  Can't wait for mine to arrive!  Can't you tell?  LMAO

Top Bottom