• The forum is now running on the Xenforo platform. The first time you log in here, you may have to reset your password by doing a password recovery. Your login info will be sent to the email you have listed on your account; please check your spam or junk folders if you don't see it in your inbox. If that address is invalid, obviously you won't get the email: In that case, use the contact form or the envelope icon at the top right of the header to send us your member name and a current valid email address.

New dog in the family

P304X4

Not good with home pics but will try to put some up soon. No left over table bones at all only recommended beef bones from the pet section.

P304X4

I'm not sure who but I think one of us is close to being house broken. She is cage trained and comes in from her last constitutional between 9:30 and 10:00. She gets one (green) Dentastick at "bedtime" so she flies into the house and straight into her cage; the down side is she tries to push bedtime to as early as 7:00. My memory card is about full on my camera and the battery is low but after I can down load the present pics. onto my PC I'll try to get pics. of Cinnamon and post them by the weekend. She also loves riding in the van, just say load up and she jumps right in, down side is having trouble keeping her out of the van for store runs where dogs aren't allowed. We had a storm roll through with a lot of thunder bumpers, not only was she not scared she barked back at the thunder man ready to take him on!

Last edited:

TheGDog

Oh Wow! Not scared of the thunder? You're lucky! My Brizz is TERRIFIED of Thunder and Lighting Cracks! And it's weird because she's a toughie for sure when it comes to other dogs trying to test her. But yeah... that and fireworks terrifies her BAD! Those big ol Rat Terrier ears I guess.

P304X4

Seems the more she comes out of her shell the more she wants to be the alpha in the family, the only other dog I had that tried that was a large mix breed that was part wolf. This one is going to be harder to convince that she is the omega instead. The part wolf sort of shared the beta position slightly behind my wife but I was the only one she totally obeyed. All the other dogs we had were not bred as hunters but as companion dogs and much easier to train. Am working with treats for good behavior and restricted space (like grounded) when bad. I don't like the idea of the rolled paper but might need to consider it or something like it. Any of you with hunting dog experience have any other suggestions? As for socializing we're taking her with us as often as we can to places she is allowed in; we're also looking into a "Meet and Great" offered by some training facilities.
Soonerdoc: lately she has picked up a few items that aren't hers, when she does I've been using a product called Sour Apple. It's in liquid form and one of the ingredients is pepper. One taste and she doesn't go back for seconds.

P304X4

She has been barking a great deal lately and I'm thinking of trying a "stop barking" dog collar. Has anyone else ever used one and if so was it effective? What type is recomended and what does an inexpensive but good one cost?

Last edited:

TheGDog

They will work. You need to very carefully follow the instructions for how you introduce your dog to that caller. And you need one that will at first emit an audio pre-cursor tone... that signals to the dog that if they don't shut up... the zap is about to come.

I suggest putting the unit on yourself first to test and adjust the level of zap you allow it to send out. It will be hard on your spirit to see the collar become invoked on the dog you love. Know this ahead of time.

It's been decades since I had to use one. And it was only for a brief period. Turns out that new wife was more allergic than we thought. So I was forced with the dilemma of brand new wife (who would go on to later be known be me as Mrs Anger Management)...vs.. lvoing dog I'd adopted for maybe 2-3 years. So I found her (the dog, hehe) a new home (worst decision ever) with a co-worker at the time who had several children of all different ages. But sadly, she escaped from that home in Norco. Apparently she had a habit of getting out and following the kids to the bus stop or something. I felt really bad about that.

Is no one at home during the day? Does the dog not have a bunk-mate?

If you love dogs, chances are high you won't have the heart to continue with your dog wearing one of those devices.

You may want to consider instead possibly a remote controlled caller. The parents of a schoolmate of my boy use one with excellent results. She said she just uses the buzzing/vibrating function of it.

P304X4

We've been considering a training collar with a remote instead of the bark collar to help with her training. Cinnamon is highly headstrong and can be very belligerent. Thought is maybe treat/"good dog" reward or click for "nope!". I like the idea of vibrate/buzz vs. shock to get her attention and would only use shock as last resort in extreme cases. Unfortunately she is still very shy with people and will try to fight any dog that she sees. She also wants to dig under the fence to chase birds, squirrels, rabbits, voles (she digs voles and moles out of the ground)...you name it she wants it.
Any suggestions on a good training collar? I don't think I need the "Caddy" of collars but want a good one with about a 10yrd. range.

Last edited:

TheGDog

Don't know when I can get back to you on that. I'll make it a point to ask those other parents I mentioned. It was a nice little compact unit. And the dog responded very well to them because of it.

Bossbrott

I've had some HUGE labs in the past, notably Brody at a stout 150# and trim as they get. Just an absolute beast of a dog. He would tower over every dog he came across, and never once got in a fight, that is, until he met a rat terrier!
New neighbors moved in and had one, Brody would literally hide in his house when they came over. It was hilarious.

P304X4

I'm hoping to be able to work with her to get over the fear of people and over the aggression toward other dogs. I've had trainers offer to help but $600.00 plus is a bit steep for my budget.

Top Bottom