New duck/goose choke

DanV

Reaction score
Thinking about getting one of the aftermarket chokes that slow the wad down so it does not affect your pattern. Any of you guys use these and how do you like them? Thinking about The Pattern Master as have seen them used(and advertised) on duckhunting shows alot. $80 seems high but really nothing compared to all my other hunting gear. Also what about the porting? Have heard it's not that bad as far as more noise, but know my ported rifles are considerably louder than before being ported.

Wildbio

Reaction score
I got a pattern master last year and could never figure out the lead on it.  The thing is almost a full choke and throws out a tight pattern and is tough on small ducks like teal.  I'll still probably use it on geese, but for ducks I'll go back to my modified.

Thonzberry

Reaction score
can you use a lower shot size if you use the pattern master. Useing T or BB on small size ducks does to much damage. Just wondering if useing 4 shot or lower will be ok.

mudhen

Reaction score
Very tight pattern.

My buddy has shot one for years - either he misses (rarely) or hammers the birds.  It is not a good choke for close shots over decoys.  

The real annoying part is that he shoots much, much, higher than I do.  Our shooting styles do not mix well because he has to shoot high and I like the birds in close.

But combined - we do shoot quite a few birds in any weather condition beacuse of the two different styles - it's a give and take.

mudhen - CA

wildlifedesigner

Reaction score
I bought a patternmaster for last season. The reason why I chose the "patternmaster" over other chokes, is I could visually see that it is designed differently, It has raised studs inside the choke, and it is supposed to pattern buckshot extremelly well. I have not patterned it yet so I can't say it actually patterns better than my other stock chokes. It is recommended that you shoot large shot with this choke tube. One thing I hate about this choke is it always seems to loosen up in my Winchester Super X2. I started a thread about this in the shotgun forum a while back. Best: Bryan

DanV

Reaction score
Thanks to all who replied, think I'll spend that $80 elsewhere. Don't really want to shoot that large of shot, I seldom hunt geese so #2 steel is about max for me. Was thinking that slowing down the wad so it did not mess up the pattern would be a plus. May look at a Comp n Choke , same idea on slowing the wad but available in different chokes at  a little more than half the price of the Pattern Master.

hunthog

Reaction score
If you're going to shoot over decoys a lot stick with any of the good extended chock tubes in improved cylinder constriction or light modified.  If you are looking for a good combination choke for decent goose and duck hunting pick the light modified.  Briley sells a neat extended choke tube that is camo on the extended part of the choke.  It comes in a light modified (called "Duck") or modified constriction (called "Goose").  Briley chokes are high quality and are used extensively for competition.  

It's always best to move the choke constriction out of the barrel with an extended choke if you intend to shoot #2 or bigger shot in any gun.  Having something that "slows" the wad will have marginal effect on your pattern except in the case of the Patternmaster.  You really have to do a lot of patterning to determine what shoots best for what with that choke.  With most sizes of shot used for close in duck hunting, the Patternmaster shoots way too tight a pattern if your as bad a shot as I am.  Plus, when you hit them you break every bone in their body.  Good to limit cripples, bad for eating.

I used the Comp-N-Choke for a while in my 1187 and found that it too shot a very tight pattern in modified constriction.  Too tight for decoy shooting.  I was goint to buy a IC Comp-N-Choke but instead bought a Benelli SBE and stored the Reminton away as a back up gun.  I use the Briley "Duck" choke in my Benelli for everything from doves to Honkers and love the hell out of it.  Patterns great (big enough so I can hit something)and kills dead.  One more thing.  If you hunt with a partner, he'll hate the muzzle blast he'll get everytime you light off a round with a vented choke and you hate the fact that you can't hear for more hours than normal after a good day's hunt.  Too much noise back to you with a vented choke.

Bass Pro sells the Briley chokes for 39.99 on their Web catalog.

hunthog

Chance

Reaction score
I've got 3 aftermarket chokes for my SBE.

Patternmaster - too tight hardly ever use it.

Haydel "P" - Great for pass shooting or jump shooting.  Carry it all the time.

Haydel "D" - Use it most of the time.  Excellent over decoys

hunthog

Reaction score
Hey Chance,

Did you find your stock SBE chokes shot a tighter pattern than other guns you've had.  I put the modified choke in my SBE and kept sailing ducks.  Then I knocked one down that was headed for the tules and took a quick shot to finish him.  The pattern was about 15" around on the water at about 30 yards and I missed.  I was used to my Remington that shot a much bigger pattern at that range.  

Once I switched to the IC things were much better.  That's because I'm such a lousy shot I need a bigger pattern to hit anything in motion.  Seriously, I think that tight pattern over the decoys was causing me to hit the birds with the few shot on the edges instead of the denser part of the pattern.  I did hit a couple up close and turned them into hamburger with the modified choke.  My kill to shot ratio went way up with the IC.

hunthog

Chance

Reaction score
Yep, I never really spent a lot of time trying to pattern my factory chokes but the Mod choke did seem to shoot pretty tight.  The first time I tried my IC cylinder choke was my second season with the gun.  I made a trip to Alberta and was hunting Canadas and ducks out of layout blinds.  The first morning I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.  Switched to the IC and started having some success after that.  Pretty much stuch with the IC choke the rest of the season.  Last year I got my two Hadel Chokes "D" and "P" and the Patternmaster.  Actually went out and did some patterns with them.  All three throw very even patterns.  The Patternmaster just seemd very very tight.  So, like I said earlier I pretty much exclusively use the Haydels now.  "D" over decoys for waterfowl and "P" for pass and jump shooting.  The "D" works real well for dove and quail also.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom