New Enclosure

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I was Gander Mountain Last night and was crusing by the camping section when something caught my attention. They have these watertight boxes made of clear lexan with spots already there for straps. No more cutting holes for the flash or the A/F hole. Just simply put your camera in the box, mask the areas you want to stay clear and paint! They were 14.99 at Gander, I think I am going to use one on my next cam. Here in the Company's Website, you have to scroll to the bottom for the Lexan Waterproof Utility Boxes.

http://spelean.com.au/GSI/GSIlexan2.html

TNDEERHUNTER

Reaction score
Cool!!!  :shades-smoke:
I wonder about the flash.Will it bleed through the lexan to the shutter?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
coyotebandit,

Those boxes look pretty cool.  How do you buy them?  I thought Gander Mountain was bought out by Cabelas a long time ago.

Also, you will still have to cut out the holes for the camera because if you don't you will get a tremendous amount of bleed off from the flash in your pictures.  I use a clear plastic box myself. The flash will travel parallel through the lexan and expose your pictures.  You will only have to drill one hole and that will be for the flash then you can use a rubber O-ring to isolate the lens from the internal flash and use a black magic marker to seal the cut you made for the flash around the edges of this cut.

jayber

Reaction score
Gander Mtn. catalog service was, but they still have retail stores.....at least here in Wi.

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I have been using a uv filter lens that threads into the hole cut for the camera lens. I am hoping that it's metal ring, and some foam would keep the flash from bleeding. I can only find the red ones online so far, but I will keep looking because they are only $12.99.

http://www.GanderMountain.com

to find a Gander Mountain in your area

Lew

Reaction score
These boxes are the ones I have been using for my cameras.  They are just the right size and water proof.  You still have to cut holes for the lens and flash but most glues bond very well to polycarbonate(Lexan) to seal the glass..  One advantage of the clear plastic is you can mast off a small area to read your picture count and also when you are putting the unit together you can see what you are doing.  I did my whole unit then painted the camo finish.  The one down side is you can't lock it up very easily and it could be stolen.  Lew

max

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture of their completed outfit using one of these boxes?Would sure like to see how they look?:popcorn:

Latest Posts

Top Bottom