New Flyways Web Site - Bookmark it!

Duck Fan

Reaction score
New Flyways Web Site - Bookmark it!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently found this new web site and really enjoy it. It is new and I am sure will be even more 'robust' with information as time goes by.

It has news, harvest management data, and scientific data collected from USFWS, and CWS (Canada).

I wanted to pass it along since I believe this is a good resource for hunters..as well as for the 'managers' of our ducks.

www.flyways.us

There are some initial assessments of waterfowl breeding habitat conditions in some video segments. Nice to get a first glimpse into the conditions around the country, as well as see the breeding ground conditions maps over the past few years.

It also has some good contact info for the different flyways.

You can even submit questions about duck, goose and swan management.

I am just now starting to review the site and I know more will be added but thought you all might also want to add this to the resources you use.

a footnote: The Flyways.us Web site was developed by the FWS through a collaborative effort of biologists and waterfowl managers across North America’s four waterfowl flyways — the Atlantic, Mississippi, Central and Pacific Flyways.

Atwater

Purt near but not plumb
Reaction score
Looks like it's going to be a great resource for information. I love the fact that you can ask questions. Thanks Rick, great post.

calfowler

Reaction score
Thanks Rick, but if you use the site, you will find that anything in the lower part of the western United States and Canada, is in horrible shape. Approx 10% of the ponds in So Alberta, So Manitoba, the Dakotas and the rest of our duck factory has water. With the price of agricultuaral crops right now, most farmers are opting out of the CRP programs. We are in the middle of a down cycle. It sure is funny how waterfowl production and our economic situation always seem to go hand in hand. You can forget about 2 Pintail this year. We will probably be down to a five bird limit in a year or two. Its just mother nature and the normal cycles we indure. Lets just stick together and endure the current situation. The good news is that goose populations are at an all time high. I guess it is all realative. Hopefully the birds overfly the lower half and end up breeding in the good to excellent conditions up north. It will be an interesting year and we must stick together as hunters. Lets hope that the summer breeding report does not project doom. Lets be positive and have a great season. Calfowler

Duck Fan

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (calfowler @ Jul 2 2008, 06:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Rick, but if you use the site, you will find that anything in the lower part of the western United States and Canada, is in horrible shape. Approx 10% of the ponds in So Alberta, So Manitoba, the Dakotas and the rest of our duck factory has water. With the price of agricultuaral crops right now, most farmers are opting out of the CRP programs. We are in the middle of a down cycle. It sure is funny how waterfowl production and our economic situation always seem to go hand in hand. You can forget about 2 Pintail this year. We will probably be down to a five bird limit in a year or two. Its just mother nature and the normal cycles we indure. Lets just stick together and endure the current situation. The good news is that goose populations are at an all time high. I guess it is all realative. Hopefully the birds overfly the lower half and end up breeding in the good to excellent conditions up north. It will be an interesting year and we must stick together as hunters. Lets hope that the summer breeding report does not project doom. Lets be positive and have a great season. Calfowler[/b]

I hear ya...
Nice thing is that it looks like the IV will get that after season white goose hunt like they used to have.

ilovesprig

Reaction score
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (calfowler @ Jul 2 2008, 07:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks Rick, but if you use the site, you will find that anything in the lower part of the western United States and Canada, is in horrible shape. Approx 10% of the ponds in So Alberta, So Manitoba, the Dakotas and the rest of our duck factory has water. With the price of agricultuaral crops right now, most farmers are opting out of the CRP programs. We are in the middle of a down cycle. It sure is funny how waterfowl production and our economic situation always seem to go hand in hand. You can forget about 2 Pintail this year. We will probably be down to a five bird limit in a year or two. Its just mother nature and the normal cycles we indure. Lets just stick together and endure the current situation. The good news is that goose populations are at an all time high. I guess it is all realative. Hopefully the birds overfly the lower half and end up breeding in the good to excellent conditions up north. It will be an interesting year and we must stick together as hunters. Lets hope that the summer breeding report does not project doom. Lets be positive and have a great season. Calfowler[/b]
Dave,

The latest reports are coming back more positive (late rain) and there appears to be a lot of late nesting. Many ducks, especially Gadwalls, do very well with this condition. I've also talked to most my Canadian friends and they've said ponds are slightly lower, but production was very good. They live mostly in the middle portion of Alberta (parklands). I think the federal guide lines with be liberal again this season.......Now, what our commissions do is another story.......

calfowler

Reaction score
Sprig, that is great news. I watched all those pilot reports and everyone showed super dry conditions. Drought conditions on the southern area's in Canada and the US. Like 10% of the ponds that have water compared to good years. I hope the pilot reports and the USF&WL reports reflect the current conditions and improving conditions. The northern area's are much better than the southern prairies.The Pintail breeding grounds (Southern Alberta, Southern Sasq and the Dakotas) looked real bad. I am afraid that this will stall any efforts to get our much deserved two to three Pintail bird limits. It sounds like the southern praire's will need two to three years of wet conditions to get back to being the duck factory that we have come to expect. The eastern half of the US and Canada are real wet and should be very productive. Lets hope that they carry us for the next year or two.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom