New forum software. Save any posts you might need.

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The forum here has grown so much we're about to bust our britches, at least that's what my website host is telling me. In the next week or two we'll be moving to a new forum software that is faster and takes up less server resources and space.

The transistion should take a few hours to maybe a day. If there are any posts you would like to save, now is the time to do it. I am backing everything up and all the old posts are supposed to be converted into the new forum. But Murphy can wreck it all so please save what you want now. I'll give a last minute notice in the campfire and annoucements section a day before the transistion so you can grab any last minute posts, just in case.

To save a thread here using IE browser, go to the thread you want to save and let it load completely. Open the pull down menu in the upper left corner of your browser and select  "Save as". Under "save as type" select "Web archive, single file (*mht)".

Then select a folder or place where you want the webpage saved to on your computer. The whole webpage thread will be saved in one folder along with all pics on the thread.

I was looking for some old info on TNdeer.com and noticed they upgraded their server and all the old homebrew game camera posts are gone. They only go back now about 2 months. I tried the wayback website and they showed a couple threads but no replies. Wayback said they were still crawling the old websites to archive them but the TnDeer.com info may be lost forever unless someone saved it.

Please have patience while we work out the new software and don't go to kicking your dog. :no no: If you start jonesing real bad, there's always Cop Rock reruns on TV. :far-side-guy-yellin:

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The forum here has grown so much we're about to bust our britches, at least that's what my website host is telling me. In the next week or two we'll be moving to a new forum software that is faster and takes up less server resources and space.

The transistion should take a few hours to maybe a day. If there are any posts you would like to save, now is the time to do it. I am backing everything up and all the old posts are supposed to be converted into the new forum. But Murphy can wreck it all so please save what you want now. I'll give a last minute notice in the campfire and annoucements section a day before the transistion so you can grab any last minute posts, just in case.

To save a thread here using IE browser, go to the thread you want to save and let it load completely. Open the pull down menu in the upper left corner of your browser and select  "Save as". Under "save as type" select "Web archive, single file (*mht)".

Then select a folder or place where you want the webpage saved to on your computer. The whole webpage thread will be saved in one folder along with all pics on the thread.

Please have patience while we work out the new software and don't go to kicking your dog. :no no: If you start jonesing real bad, there's always Cop Rock reruns on TV. :far-side-guy-yellin:

tinner

Reaction score
thanks alot there jesse, you haven't steered this ship wrong yet.
 we'll follow you anywhere, out of morbid curiousity.lol

Grey Taylor

Reaction score
Jesse, I'm curious about one thing.  I haven't seen a whole lot of advertising on your pages... who pays for all this?  If you're doing this on your own pocketbook just 'cause you're a great guy... well, I think we'd all better give you a big hug at the next get together :angel-halo:

Passthru

Banned
Reaction score
 We are with ya Jesse!! cant think of anything i need that i have not already saved.

JDC

Banned
Reaction score
<font face=arial size=1><blockquote><hr noshade size=1>Quote: from Grey Taylor on 10:22 pm on July 15, 2002
Jesse, I'm curious about one thing.  I haven't seen a whole lot of advertising on your pages... who pays for all this?<hr noshade size=1></blockquote></font>

I've been wondering this for a while too. How is this website funded?

Constitutionalist

Reaction score
Kick my dog?  NEVER.

That is reserved for that worthless, fur-ball regurgitating, "I can't be bothered" thing my kids call "Kitty."

:)

Shrewshooter

Reaction score
When i quit smoking i had real withdrawl symtems so i know i can take it if this site is closed for a day. Im sure i can, I know i can , im sure i can, I know i cannnn, HHHHHeeeeLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!!!!

ToddP

Banned
Reaction score
Wonder how big the file will be if I download the discussions using Adobe Acrobat?

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
The move will happen this Sat night, Save any messenger messages because the forum converter srcipt won't allow me to keep the messenger messages. All the other posts, members, and forums should be on the new forum. Not really anything to do except point and click. Figuring out the pathways and directories is always a guessing game.

If the converter scripts does crash the forum it may take a day to get it back up. The main webpage should be just fine, in fact I've already moved it and checked it.

Bottom line in the bean department. I was paying $15.95 a month for the present server but we we using 3x what I paid for. They let me slide for about 4 months but they couldn't provide any more bandwidth so that's why the move now.

New server is $25.00 a month. Outfit out of Roseville Ca called AlphaOmega Hosting. This should hold us for a year or two and this guy has more capacity if we need it later. The owner has been real helpful and he seems to be a customer oriented person.

For you tech heads, we're pushing 30 gigs of data transfer a month, about 70% is from the forum. With the new forum software I'll be able to show unique hits per day, month etc. The new forum rocks and it has some hacks I can do, some I've already added. Better search, better messenger, more features like polls, who's online in each forum, reverse post reading like Brad wanted. The quoting feature is a whole lot better, it puts the quote in a white background and not that little text like we have here now. There is also a "split posts' function, I'll let you guys figure that one out.  :crazeye:

tinner

Reaction score
good job jesse, it sounds like it should be really great.

gizz

Reaction score
Check out Jesses post at the TOP of the BBS(under ANNOUNCEMENTS) about the move. Seems he decided to delay it a bit due to some technical issues.

(Edited by gizz at 7:03 pm on July 22, 2002)

Top Bottom