new guy-great forum

bigbucks

Reaction score
I am a brand new member to this site and already I want to say thanks to Jesse and everyone else who has made this forum possible.  I didn't realize there were so many guys as whaked as me! I started making homebrew cameras in 97, not realizing what I was getting myself into. I was too tight to buy a camtrakker(the only one on the market back then), so I set off to build my own. By the time I had one working, I wished I had bought the camtrakker! My first cam was housed in a cedar box, and it looked like a bluebird house with a big window in front! But I kept improving, and in a few more months I had 2 or 3 in the woods. But later that year I got married, and 2 years later had a daughter, so my time to play has been almost zero. About two weeks ago I came across this site and have been on it every night since! I feel like a real moron knowing I went through all that work when there were so many guys like are on this site willing to do it for me! The first time I came across this forum, I couldn't beleive my eyes. It was like reading my notes from 5 years ago. All that work making timers and learning about all thet electronic stuff really taxed my brain. Brian, Tinhorn, JoeD, and the others have really made it easy for almost anyone to build a homebrew. Thanks again to all!!!!!!

MBullism

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, bigbucks.  This site can always use another person not too scared to delve into the unknown.  I'm afraid you can't just come here and suck up the free info, though.  (that's my job, LOL)

I'd love to see a pic of that cedar box...

Tinhorn

Reaction score
Welcome BB,

Just this morning I was wondering how many on this site (& the old Tenn Forum) built a cam before ever seeing or finding the HomeBrew Forum....

I'd def be interesting in seeing info and pix's of your original HomeBrews.   Maybe you can post this info on this post already started a while back!

http://www.jesseshuntingpage.com/cgi-bin/i...&topic=2714

Thanx

Tinhorn

bigbucks

Reaction score
Thanks MB and Tinhorn. MB, I don't have any pics of the cedar box, but I do have hundreds of pics from my second generation cams. I will post some as soon as I learn how. The original camera I used was a polaroid 3000AF. The PIR I used was something I found at HQ and the Home Depot. It ran off of 9v, and had a sort of flip flop relay I was able to utilize. I ended up figuring out some of the capacitors, and replacing them with different values to get the proper timing. These sensors worked reasonably well, but I dont think they are available anymore. I used project enclosures from RS, and camoed them with the camo cloth tape from Walmart. One thing I did that I havent seen mentioned on the forum is that I drilled about a 1/2" hole in the top of the case, put a piece of glass inside to see through, and then used a small light or LED with a push button switch to see how manw pictures are on it. I had two C cell batteries to power the light, and they were also used for supplemental power for the camera. I use telephone wire because of the small connectors and small wire. Also, the 4 wires were perfect. The red and black were 3v supplement power, and the yellow and green for the camera shutter. Any info that might help out with these homebrews WILL DEFFINATELY BE SHARED! Pics to come latter . Someone please help me to get them onto this forum.

gizz

Reaction score
Hi Bigbucks and welcome to the forum.

Alot of us use the Canon Owl PF that has a built in display for number of pics taken on the top of the cam. Some of us cut a hole in the top of our enclosures and glue a piece of glass over/under it so that we can view this information. The owl af and pf are both like this. Sure does seem like these cameras were MADE for homebrew use.

RSB

Reaction score
Welcome, will be waiting to see those pic's.

Gun Docc

Reaction score
Welcome to the JHP forums bigbucks ,

most of us here are camera junkie's ourselves , so you will fit right in....hehehe

glad to have ya aboard

Bowfever

Reaction score
Hey bigbucks welcome aboard.......   cant wait to see some pics.....   Gotta love the new pics...

Bowfever

spectr17

Administrator
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum bigbucks. Don't think anyone has used cedar yet for a housing?????

bigbucks

Reaction score
OK fellas, I think I got it. My pics are at  http://community.webshots.com/user/bigbucks102                                                                                                                                                                                          how do I get a link to this page posted?

Hill Hopper

Banned
Reaction score
Go to your community page. Flag the address, right click and hit copy. Go to your post, right click, and hit paste. The clickable url will be in the post.

max

Reaction score
Holy Smokes!!!! Those are the deer of my dreams...You are one lucky individual to have access to those monsters. welcome to the forum!! Can't wait to see some new pictures!!

Latest Posts

Top Bottom