New Hogan Lake Ca. Gobbler question

shokatsu

Reaction score
I decided to try bow hunting for gobblers at New Hogan Res this year and turned up with nothing. I went 3 times. Once to scout the lake a week before hunting season and to check out the legal areas. On that trip only heard gobblers on the NON hunting side of the lake. Not a single gobble in the Bear Creak area. Went the Monday after opening day and hiked in from Bear Creak to Deer Flat, not one single Gobble! Ran into some shot gun hunters and they said they heard nothing all day too. Then We saw some trucks that had access to private lands on the lake and they got two in the private areas but stated they heard no gobbles either and that they were all mated up. We went again last Thursday and I heard one gobble at the bear creak entrance but could not figure out where it was as he only gobbled one time . I think it came from a ranch ( private land) near the lake. We hiked in this time way past deer flat trying to listen for any sign of gobbles and again nothing. All we saw was a bunch of deer, tons of geese and ducks, but no Turkeys. As we drove out, yep you guessed it we saw 2 TOMS on some ones private land and hen on some one else's land.

Sorry for the long back story. My question is this.. Is Hogan a good place for turkeys? If not what's a good place that's not private land? Seasons over, but next year I would like to try something better. Looks good for Geese though.

hatchet1

Banned
Reaction score
dude, i would say after that report, that would be a negative on a good place to
stick a yard bird
sure sounds like you got the drive though,
stick with it and it will happen

Kentuck

Reaction score
Too much pressure there. Only legal birds I've seen during the years of fishing the lake during turkey season was after season closed up towards the narrows. Just remember though, bow season for turkey is still open.

shokatsu

Reaction score
Wow your right. I just looked it up on the DFG site. Two more weeks! YES. Hogans hunting Regs dont show the Additional Archery weeks so it thought the season was done. Can anyone recommend a good place to try to get a gobbler as I am done with Hogan.

Rockboy777

Reaction score
Where is Livermore??? If you check out the other threads of Bryson Hesperia in Brawley there are lots of birds there. I walked ALL OVER Public Land in San Diego County last season. Saw lots of birds before the opener, a few for the first two weeks then saw and heard nothing after that. Treated myself to some private hunts and a great time. Check it out

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bbcustomboxcalls Calls & Call Making 0
russ209 Turkey Hunting 20
Mel Carter Upland Bird Hunting 3
Cal hunter Turkey Hunting 13
C Turkey Hunting 1

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Top Bottom