New homebrew project idea - any suggestions?

abedford

Reaction score
Maybe something like this has been proposed before - if so, let me know where to go for info.....

I have a few hunting blinds in very, very thick areas.  I have a few spots that it took MASSIVE amounts of work to cut a small shooting lane through.  The problem is, a buck can step into and back out of a shooting lane before I'm even able to pick up my rifle.  Very frustrating.  This exact thing happened to my uncle hunting in one of my blinds a few days ago - never got the gun up on a very nice buck.

How about rigging a motion detector to give some warning that a deer is nearing the shooting lane?  Would even consider putting a MD on each side of the lane.  The unit would then need to trigger some type of "heads up" indicator wirelessly.  This is where I start to get in over my head.

We use walkie talkies in the field that have a "CALL" button that we never use.  You push this button on your unit and it sends a distinct "beepbeepbeep......beepbeepbeep" signal to the other units on the frequency.  This would be quite easy to rig to transmit based on a relay closing, but the cost would be quite high - you would need a walkie-talkie for each location (at about $40 a pop).

Another thought was to have the PIR close a relay that would somehow wirelessy close a relay in my blind which could be wired to a colored LED.  Light comes on - look at your lane.  Could even have different colored LEDs for different shooting lanes.  Anyone have an idea how to make this work?

One other thing - anyone know if there are any big snafus with this idea with respect to fair chase or state game laws?

Brian

Inactive
Reaction score
abedfore,

I have something that will work right now.  A wireless system that can have one receiver and several transmitters.  The active distance is about 300 ft or so.  You can tell which transmitter sent the message by the LED that lights up.  This is done by sending a logical one to data bits and turning on the active LED.  There are no collision handling capabilities so only one transmitter can be activated at a time.  This should not be a problem since you would put the transmitters on a single trail.   I developed this while working on my wireless video system and believe it or not I have had a guy I know ask me to develop the exact thing you are referring to.  You could set the id of each transmitter with dip switches and used color LED's for indicators.  I think it would be a great idea.

Brian

Possum

Reaction score
Actually I heard in the Afghanistan war they have heat seeking bullets.  Don't know if it is true, but Spectr17 probably could tell us.

jayber

Reaction score
My uncle scoffed at me making cameras.....said the next thing I should develop was live video feed with gun activated via joystick from recliner in the house.  LOL

Fubar

Reaction score
Heat seeking arrows would probably be the only way I could hit one.               Fubar

Top Bottom