New housing for my cam

Tominator

Reaction score
Whoever it was was that mentioned using the carlon boxes from Home Depot, thanks. I managed to get everything in the 6X6X4 box and it makes a neat little setup!
Tominator

ICS Hunter

Reaction score
Hey, what kind of material is the box made of?  Is it rigid?  what did it cost?  where is it located in the Home Depot stores?  I haven't decided on my enclosure yet and it might be something I could make work as well.  Thanks.

Tominator

Reaction score
PVC
Very rigid
$9.50
In Electrical section

Definitely sturdy enough AND waterproof! As a matter of fact, talking about sturdiness, if you drill on the sides for the switches, make sure you drill towards the front (nearest the opening) since the box gets thicker as you near the back.
Tominator

tomtruck

Reaction score
do you have a picture of it so we can see what it looks like..thanks..Tom

u turned em

Reaction score
Your welcome....    .......I used two of the Carlon boxes, a 6x6x4 and a 4x4x4, combined to house my camera.  I wanted the extra space, so I used both.  I didn't like the idea of having the toggles on the outside, so I housed them in a 1.5" threaded PVC coupling w/ a threaded cap and attached it to the side of the larger box.  It's 100% waterproof and easy to access.  I also got rid of the sheet metal screws and replaced them with 10-24 x 1/2" socket head cap screws ( had to drill and tap the existing holes)so if some "Bubba" is tromping through our woods he won't be able to open the box with his pocket knife.  I doubt that "Bubba" would be carrying a set of hex wrenches with him!    I'll try to post some more detailed pics. of the camera tomorrow night....got to get to bed now!     ICS.....you still being a "Wramblin Wreck.....and a Hell of an Engineer?"  Did you finish yours?  Good luck.  

Tom....show us your camera.  Thanks.

Tominator

Reaction score
Here's some pics of the setup. Sorry about the guality, i snapped them before the autofocus could take over, my bad.

Tominator

Tominator

Reaction score
Wow! I didn't realize they were that bad. Sorry about that.
Tominator

Data

Reaction score
Tominator, I used this electrical box for my first one, and before long one of the screws striped out and one of the tabs broke off.  One suggestion that someone posted was to use some screws that were a little bit bigger then the ones that came with the box. Tighten down the new screws as tight as possible then cut the heads off and use wing nuts to get in and out of the box.  Data.

Tominator

Reaction score
Great idea, I remember reading that now that you mention it. Thanks for bringing it back up.
Tominator

coyotebandit

Reaction score
I also used one for my first cam, I got tired of using the screwdriver after about 2 rolls of film, ever since I'm sold on Pelican. I know someone mentioned using thumb-screws also, this would be a good idea. They do work welll, and provide plenty of work space, but they are a bit difficult to conceal because of their size.

(Edited by coyotebandit at 12:49 pm on Aug. 22, 2002)

u turned em

Reaction score
I hope that y'all trust that no-one will ever get the idea to take those wing nuts off and walk away with your camera!  I still think that replacing the existing screws with a 1/2" or longer hex or torx head would be best.......'cause you've got to have the right tool or it ain't coming off!  Take a hex or torx driver and put it in a cheap cordless screwdriver and leave it in your truck.  .......just my opininion .....I know that there's more than one way to accomplish this.

Top Bottom