New Hunter (dad) and 3 Juniors...

pmillerusa

Reaction score
Hi,
<O:p
New to hunting overall.. Myself and 3 juniors (10, 12 and 14) hoping to start learning this season. <O:p
We all have our hunter safety completed, and are starting to look for "first time out" possibilities... Upland Game Bird and Big Game<O:p</O:p
We live in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:placeName>High <st1:placeType w:st="on">Desert </st1:placeType></ST1:pside of the Angeles forest area and are within an ~1hour of Tehachapi and Tejon. I know the towns and general locations well, but no real info on the actual hunting locations outside of Tejon proper. Looking into the Wild Pig class in August at Tejon. <O:p</O:p

Planning this year to try and take the boys out 1 at a time and teach/learn for a select species if possible so we can learn together. Cool - I’ll get the time in the field with each of them and the pride of seeing them learn...<O:p</O:p
Next year, maybe head out with my oldest and we can both hunt and then go from there on the younger ones as they gain skill.
<O:p</O:p<O:p
· Trying to find info on the CA heritage hunts with little luck so far (already full for 2009?) - We all have preference tags (?) from the Hunter Ed Classes.
<O:p</O:p
· Are there better (safer) places to hunt in CA so we aren’t making rookie mistakes and ticking other hunters off?
· Is it too late to apply for a tag this year, or would we just get less desirable tags (I suppose that’s better since we're new anyway)

Anyway, hopefully will be a worthwhile contributor over time.<O:p</O:p

Paul

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Hi,
New to hunting overall.. Myself and 3 juniors (10, 12 and 14) hoping to start learning this season. <O:p
We all have our hunter safety completed, and are starting to look for "first time out" possibilities... Upland Game Bird and Big Game<O:p</O:p
We live in the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
</st1:placeName>High <st1:placeType w:st="on">Desert </st1:placeType></ST1:pside of the Angeles forest area and are within an ~1hour of Tehachapi and Tejon. I know the towns and general locations well, but no real info on the actual hunting locations outside of Tejon proper. Looking into the Wild Pig class in August at Tejon. <O:p</O:p

Planning this year to try and take the boys out 1 at a time and teach/learn for a select species if possible so we can learn together. Cool - I’ll get the time in the field with each of them and the pride of seeing them learn...<O:p</O:p
Next year, maybe head out with my oldest and we can both hunt and then go from there on the younger ones as they gain skill.
<O:p</O:p<O:p
· Trying to find info on the CA heritage hunts with little luck so far (already full for 2009?) - We all have preference tags (?) from the Hunter Ed Classes.
· Are there better (safer) places to hunt in CA so we aren’t making rookie mistakes and ticking other hunters off?
· Is it too late to apply for a tag this year, or would we just get less desirable tags (I suppose that’s better since we're new anyway)

Anyway, hopefully will be a worthwhile contributor over time.<O:p</O:p

Paul
Paul,sorry for the late reply just noticed your thread today, first welcome to our sport , I think its admirable that you are learning with your children, to answer some of your questions, yes its too late for drawing tags this year but its also a point system so you probably wouldn't have drawn anyway. As far as safe places to hunt this actually despite all you may hear is a safe sport, just use common sense when you go out , follow the basics that you learned at hunter saftey and avoid heavily hunted areas if you can. Please wear hunter orange, its not mandatory but like a saftey belt in your car its nessesary, you will never know how many accidents were avoided just because someone noticed your hunter orange and didn't shoot in your direction. If possible try to hunt during the week (I know it would be tough with work and the kids school) or at least avoid opening weekend and let things die down some, you will be surprised how hunter participation lowers after the first week. Also you may want to start them on coyote hunting, its open all year and coyotes are everywhere, it requires almost the same strategy and patience that big game hunting doe's and will season them for the fall hunts, Good luck, Bill P.S., I know its short notice and a long drive but I'm holding a predator workshop on sunday Aug 9th in San Marcos Ca near San Diego at 9:00am, being new hunters it might be worth the drive, usahunter@aol.com or 760-728-0716

One Track

Reaction score
Welcome!

My best memories in life are those days spent hunting and fishing with my dad. Your kids will be better for it. "Kids that hunt don't mug old ladies." Good for you man!

If you have the funds, start booking the Hog Management Hunts at Tejon. There is not a better place in this country to go hunt for hogs. They are numerous. You guide yourself. It's safe. It's beautiful. The price is the best in the state for hunting private land. Of course, it's not a slam dunk. Most likely, you will have to earn it, which is the best part of hunting. I think the rifle hunts probably have a 50% success ratio. It's a blast and a really good place to learn about hunting. If you are worried about things like, what to do after you have an animal down, then maybe go on a guided hunt by yourself. See how it's done. After one trip, you and your kids can learn the rest together.

I've probably taken twenty hogs off of Tejon (6 with a bow,) and every one of those hunts was fun! I love that place. The best part, those hogs make awesome tablefare.

Brent

pmillerusa

Reaction score
Thank you both...! I've made a number of great contacts through JHO, all with similar recommendations and encouragement.
I’m definitely planning to do at least 1 pig hunt up at Tejon with someone “in the know” to get a better lay of the land. I have the kids in for a number of junior drawings still, so we’ll see how that goes as well.
Will keep everyone posted and thanks again!

- Paul

pmillerusa

Reaction score
Paul,sorry for the late reply just noticed your thread today, first welcome to our sport , I think its admirable that you are learning with your children, to answer some of your questions, yes its too late for drawing tags this year but its also a point system so you probably wouldn't have drawn anyway. As far as safe places to hunt this actually despite all you may hear is a safe sport, just use common sense when you go out , follow the basics that you learned at hunter saftey and avoid heavily hunted areas if you can. Please wear hunter orange, its not mandatory but like a saftey belt in your car its nessesary, you will never know how many accidents were avoided just because someone noticed your hunter orange and didn't shoot in your direction. If possible try to hunt during the week (I know it would be tough with work and the kids school) or at least avoid opening weekend and let things die down some, you will be surprised how hunter participation lowers after the first week. Also you may want to start them on coyote hunting, its open all year and coyotes are everywhere, it requires almost the same strategy and patience that big game hunting doe's and will season them for the fall hunts, Good luck, Bill P.S., I know its short notice and a long drive but I'm holding a predator workshop on sunday Aug 9th in San Marcos Ca near San Diego at 9:00am, being new hunters it might be worth the drive, usahunter@aol.com or 760-728-0716
DP - thanks for the details above and class info. Been reading Predator Extreme for a few months now and definitely want to spend some off-time chasing the coyotes. (They cruise the fence line behind our house nightly and drive our dog crazy too…)

This Sunday we can’t make on such short notice, but will certainly keep an eye out for something in the future.

<O:p</O:pGood idea though on spending some time now with the kids working out kinks chasing coyotes… I hadn’t thought of that.

thanks!

Paul <O:p</O:p<O:p</O:p

Latest Posts

Top Bottom