New hunter in SoCal

Archer82

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My name is Adam and Im from the SoCal area. Over the last year or so I developed an immense interest in hunting for it's benefits like quality meat and conservation. I've always enjoyed the outdoors on the rare occasion I went out but due to my career choices I never had the time to explore hunting let alone go camping. But now I'm in a spot that gives me this privilege. I gave myself a solid year to research as much as i could finding the more I dove into it the more I liked it. I took and passed my hunter ed earlier this month and am now focusing on perfecting my shot while I continue researching/scouting for areas to hunt. Id love to pick your brains to learn as much as I can and possibly go on some hunts with other hunters.
..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Reaction score
Hi you doing Adam I’m Eric I myself am also new about a year in. Been building my gear and researching. I’ve found some good info and advice on this and also thru searching onx maps. Biggest thing I seen difficult was the where to hunt, how to hunt, and not giving up if not successful. I have another buddy that I go out with also new. We have gone out about 3 times to upland game hunt and have come up short but know that it’s experience we are gaining and we have seen birds just can’t connect. But we ain’t giving up yet. Long story short keep at it and if you live around the inland empire area hit me up we’re always open to hook up and hunt together.

Archer82

Reaction score
Hi Eric, thanks for reaching out. I’ve been using onx and google maps as well. Once I get the chance Im gonna as they say “put boots on the ground” to see whats what. One of the reasons I decided to pursue hunting is because of the challenges it presents ha ha, my friends and family gave me a look like I was crazy when I told them, “Im gonna go out and hunt later this year” ha ha. Im the first in my family/friends to do it which motivates me even more. Im finding it funny when ever I mention hunting let alone guns/archery to someone who lives in the general LA area, they give you this “look” as if they disapprove ha ha. But I get it, I was brought up not knowing truly anything about it other then what tv portrayed it as. Im hoping that the experiences and food I share with said family/friends will change their perspectives, if it doesn't, oh well their loss ha ha. But yeah man, if our schedules work out Id be up to join you guys on a hunt. Until then Im happy to swap information leading up the season opener(s).

sportyg

Reaction score
Are you hunting archery only or do you plan to upland with a shotgun ? If you go shotgun for upland a .20 ga. is all you really need. If you'r going to scout year round be sure to carry lots of water you will need it in the heat, also buy some snake gaiters you will need those as well even if you never get bitten you should have and wear them, in heavy brush you never know. Get some BLM & forest service maps to use along with onx. Onx is good but you will need maps to work with as well use them together.

Archer82

Reaction score
Are you hunting archery only or do you plan to upland with a shotgun ? If you go shotgun for upland a .20 ga. is all you really need. If you'r going to scout year round be sure to carry lots of water you will need it in the heat, also buy some snake gaiters you will need those as well even if you never get bitten you should have and wear them, in heavy brush you never know. Get some BLM & forest service maps to use along with onx. Onx is good but you will need maps to work with as well use them together.
Thank you very much for the tips and advice, ill definitely look into some gaiters. As far as archery only, im gonna have my focus on archery while I save up for a shotgun. I was thinking about a mossberg 20 guage the last couple months, the instructors who led the hunters ed class suggested it as a good beginner shotgun. Im looking to start with upland birds, turkey especially.

elkung

Reaction score
Hey Adam, I'm also Eric and relatively new to hunting. I'm planning to use this off season to do some more scouting in the SoCal Area. I'm around the San Gabriel Valley area, just outside of LA. Let me know if you're up for some hiking/scouting around!

Reaction score
Hey Adam, I'm also Eric and relatively new to hunting. I'm planning to use this off season to do some more scouting in the SoCal Area. I'm around the San Gabriel Valley area, just outside of LA. Let me know if you're up for some hiking/scouting around!
Where you planning on trying to scout around...what you trying to hunt?

elkung

Reaction score
Where you planning on trying to scout around...what you trying to hunt?
So far I've been working on hunting small game (jacks, cottontail) and upland game (dove, quail). Was thinking about checking out Los Padres National Forest since I haven't been there before, as well as BLM land along the 15 and 14.

Archer82

Reaction score
Hi Eric, sorry for the late reply, Yeah id be up for some scouting this off season, im not sure when Ill be going but Ill hit you up once I find an upcoming free day. Ideally Im gonna go during the week like on a tuesday or wednesday. What are you looking to hunt this coming season ? im gonna focus on turkey. Over the course of the next few months im gonna try to go to san diego county and up in kern county.

elkung

Reaction score
Hi Eric, sorry for the late reply, Yeah id be up for some scouting this off season, im not sure when Ill be going but Ill hit you up once I find an upcoming free day. Ideally Im gonna go during the week like on a tuesday or wednesday. What are you looking to hunt this coming season ? im gonna focus on turkey. Over the course of the next few months im gonna try to go to san diego county and up in kern county.
So far I've just hunted upland and small game. Turkey sounds awesome as well! Message me when you have some free days.

Reaction score
So far I've just hunted upland and small game. Turkey sounds awesome as well! Message me when you have some free days.
Yea man we’re working on trying to make it down to San Diego as well. And we wanna try for some pig but can’t seem to get a lead all I hear is it being taken over by private lands and guided tours that charge an arm and a leg

greg8002

Reaction score
Hey Adam,

I’m also new to this forum. I recently moved to Los Angeles from San Diego.

Top Bottom