New hunter needs all the advice he can get

Kevoxford

Reaction score
Me and my buddy are trying deer hunting for the first time. We have A Zone tags and have figured because of travel restrictions we want to hunt some where in the southren half of the zone any and all help on finding something to make the first trip successful will be appreciated. We figure we'll try towards the end of season. Thanks

Rookies

Reaction score
Welcome to JHO
. You will surely find the advice that you will need. I started out last year and found all shorts of advice on here. Runningbuck was telling me about a place called Calienta Ridge, which is as south as you can get hunting A Zone. Another area that I can tell you is on the 154 going towards Cachuma. Theres a road after the big bridge called Paradise road, this place provides decent hunting but you will see alot of people there. Not far from there pass Cachuma lake, theres a road that will take you towards Davey brown and Figarora, these places has alot of hunting grounds for you to stomp on. I would suggest you do a little studying and buys some maps. Get all the information you need from here and use it with some maps. Good luck and hapy hunting. If you need anymore information just holla.

crittergetter

Reaction score
That depends on what you see as successful. There are many levels of success. I think of an enjyable hunt I return home safely as a successful trip and a filled tag a successful season.
If you have never taken big game before I suggest you do some reading on how to process and care for the meat. Everything from feild dressing to freezer. Make sure you have atleast one sharp knife, and a deer bag.
Be sure you know where to place your shot in the vitals etc. You should visit a range or do some target practice at varioous distances first. It is hard to make a successful trip with a poorly placed bullet. Remember that the work begins after you shoot. Keep that in mind before you shoot when you are in steep rough terrain far from the truck.
Make sure you are clear on the difference between a legal buck and a deer. A big fat ticket from the warden and loss of your privledge is not successful.
Bring some binoculars, some water, small flashlight, and good footwear. Maybe a pack frame to pack out you animal. If there are two of you is makes it an easier drag.
Depending on your style you may want to walk slowly stopping frequently for several minutes to observe for movement etc. or you may want to hike in well before sunrise to a good view point, sit tight, wait to see something and then stalk it, or find an area with a lot of sign and some water and sit and wait. You may begin a few hours before sundown and hunt till just before dark. I use a combination of the methods. To be successful you need to be versital.
Why wait till the end of the season? Get out know and atleast find some does. The bucks will show up sooner or later. To be successful takes time and effort otherwise it can be considered luck. You may have to get out several times to even see a deer.
Know you limitations based on past of similar experiences. It can be easy to get into trouble in the heat and rough terrain.
Try the Los Padres National Forest, Ft. Hunter Ligget, Camp Roberts, or BLM Land. Go online and search to investigate FHL, CR, and BLM. Be sure you get the needed info. or get a forest map and take a walk.
Good luck and remember that success is when you have a fun, safe trip.

One Track

Reaction score
CriterGetter:

That's some great info.

He's right. Start now. Get to know some areas. It will take weeks, maybe months, to figure out where the deer are. I hunted one entire season and never saw a buck, but I narrowed down a good area. The following year, I killed a decent 4x4 on the first day of the season. Wear out a pair of boots. Zero in your rifle at 200. But, know where it will shoot at 50, 100, and 300. After you get your gun zeroed in on the bench, start shooting from realistic positions that you will encounter in the field. Use shooting stix, or lay on the ground and use your pack as a rest. Be sure to take some shots off hand, standing up. Many deer I have killed jumped up at 20 yds and I had to get on 'em quick. No time to find a rock or a tree for a rest. Get to know your rifle real well. You should be able to load it, and unload it, with your eyes closed. Don't trapse around those hills with a round in the chamber. That's a great way to take out your buddy. Wait until you have a buck in sight before you jack a round.

Take lots of water! I think you should get back to your truck with half your water, unless you kill a buck. You are going to need twice the water to hump a buck out of the hills. Also, better to park at the bottom of a mountain, and hunt up. Easier to get a deer back to the truck if it's all downhill. Plus, the wind is blowing downhill in the morning. It will switch when the sun warms up the mountain tops. Pay attention to what the wind does during the day. You can tailor your hunts to the wind. It's generally the same each day. Always hunt into the wind.

Mostly, have a fun. I can barely get out of bed before work. But, when I'm going hunting and the alarm goes off at 3am, I launch out of bed.

Kevoxford

Reaction score
Another Question, My buddy was fotunate enough to find a land owner just out of Paso robles that was willing to sign a tresspass slip and was happy to do so because he has had a problem with several deer working the trees in his orchard he has 43 acres if we shoot on his land, hit a deer on his land but, the deer jumps a fence do we have to then look for neighbors or can we track the wounded animal until found.

Mel Carter

Reaction score
Before you even hunt this guys property, ask if he knows who owns the surrounding properties and the way to contact them. If you wound a deer, and it travels to another property, you do not have permission to track a wounded deer onto private land. You have to make every effort to retrieve the animal, but you need to have permission to go onto someones property to check for the animal. I would contact the owners next to him, let them know what you are doing, and if, and only if, this situation was to come up, do you have permission to retrieve the deer. You never know, if you let these guys know your helping this guy out with his deer problem, they may offer you more land to hunt on.

Good luck!

crittergetter

Reaction score
Paso huh. That sounds like a good oportunity. I live in Atascadero. Leave me a post if you need someone experienced to tag along. If you make a good shot I wouldn't plan on the deer going for more than a couple hundred yards. At least in my experience. So If the neighbor is not cooperative make sure you practice alot and don't shoot anything close to the fence and you should be ok. A good rest makes all the difference in the world for me. Practice on squeezing the trigger slowly so that when the gun fires it is kind of a surprise. Don't let yourself anticipate the recoil. You will flinch ahead of time and shoot poorly as a result. Are you familiar with the trajectory of you bullet? If you need a controlled environment to shoot your rifles at try the San Luis Obispo Sportsmans Club range just south of Morro Bay on HWY 1. For a few bucks you can shoot for hours from a bench at paper and gong targets at exact known distances. Call em @ (805) 541-5755 for more info. When you shoot be sure not to shoot too many times in a row. Usually no more than four for me. You need to let your barrel cool to for consistent placement when sighting in. Just like in a real hunting situation your barrel is cool on the first shot in comparison to having had several rounds through it. It does make a difference. iIve also heard that a barrel can become warped. There are a lot of considerations when sighting in. If you need help just ask.

Latest Posts

Top Bottom