*NEW*Hunter this season*HELP*(Southern CA)

NewHunter09

Reaction score
Hey guys im a new hunter this season. I have no hunting experiance wat so ever. I am also pretty much on my own. I am going to rifle hunt the bottom of Laguna mt kinda by Pine Vally. I need some help please. I am going to use a blind. Can you help me with technique hints anything would help. I was thinking about using a decoy. and wat about sents, wat i should scout out and look for, feed, and i was thinking about using fake antler calls. I dont Know Like I said brand new if you could help even the littlest thing means a lot to me. Thanks James.

m_freeman

Reaction score
Hey guys im a new hunter this season. I have no hunting experiance wat so ever. I am also pretty much on my own. I am going to rifle hunt the bottom of Laguna mt kinda by Pine Vally. I need some help please. I am going to use a blind. Can you help me with technique hints anything would help. I was thinking about using a decoy. and wat about sents, wat i should scout out and look for, feed, and i was thinking about using fake antler calls. I dont Know Like I said brand new if you could help even the littlest thing means a lot to me. Thanks James.
:popcorn:

superduty

Reaction score
NewHunter James, sounds to me that you should start out by taking the regs and studying them religiously. From there I would probably think about ditching the blind unless you found an area that is heavily traveled and then I would still think about ditching the blind. You might want to double think about the rattling too. Sometimes some snort wheezes with just your mouth and shaking some nearby bush works well. Your best bet would to be getting out and scouting the area you plan on hunting. Get to know it well and observe, observe, observe what you see and hear. There is a wealth of knowledge what your hunting can teach you if you pay attention. I'm sure your going to gain alot of knowledge from this site just be patient and keep asking questions. There are tons of very knowledgable hunters that hang out here. :welcome sign:

Last edited:

subfan

Reaction score
If you want to pick up a D14 tag, you can tag along when I go out. Guys, we need to try to help out the new folks to the sport. Everyone in our camp is an ally.

Akash

Reaction score
Welcome to JHO. I am a pretty new hunter as well and going for my first deer hunt this year. From what I know (so far) I think you should scout the area first and get some maps this will help you to find the water, cover and food. Also do a "search" here, Im sure there are plenty of blogs and infos you can find on a particular area you are trying to hunt. Hope this helps. Good Luck !!!! :)

Norcal Hunting Kid

Reaction score
Scout, scout, and scout some more is what i read everywhere. Maybe take up Subfans offer. Hunting with someone experienced will help ALOT and you learn alot.

NHK

outdoorsman35

Reaction score
i can help you. tell me what tags you have and what age / sex you are and how physically fit you are and what equipment you have?

Thanks!

XDHUNTER

Reaction score
If you want to pick up a D14 tag, you can tag along when I go out. Guys, we need to try to help out the new folks to the sport. Everyone in our camp is an ally.
You are the MAN!! subfun.we need more guys like you in the great outdoors.

I have one new hunter ready for the opener. :smiley-mouse:

Big Moose

Reaction score
subfan..... you ARE the man ! I second xdhunter.

Sounds like you are thinking whitetails and not blacktails. There are quite a few differences. You could gain a ton of knowledge going with a experienced hunter.

Welcome to Jesses ! Good luck. Moose :JHO rocks:

wshive

Reaction score
subfan, how is it hunting that area? It's beautiful, but is it tough terrain to hunt in? I'm new as well and trying to figure out the best places to start scouting. Was also thinking about D11, 13, and even A near Santa Barbara.

leftyhunter

Reaction score
I have never been sucessfull at deer hunting but it wouldn't hurt to read some of the books recommended in my post about favorite deer books. The Cal big game digest has statistics on how hunters have done in the various zones. D-11 is not a great zone but some good bucks and bears have been taken from there so if you get away from the roads who knows?

Leftyhunter

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
New Hunter,if you're going to hunt D-16 lets get together and I can get you SAFELY started, Pine Valley is very heavily hunted and you should know some basics before ventureing out on your own. Bill usahunter@aol.com.... Welcome aboard

dirtpoor

Forever Hunting
Reaction score
Almost forgot, my buddy and I are holding a free predator hunting seminar in San Marco's on Aug 9th, if you can stop by, even though its not about deer hunting there are a lot of areas that overlap and it never hurts to do your deer scouting while coyote hunting, Bill

NewHunter09

Reaction score
superduty. thanks i was thinnking blind becase there is not very many trees for a stand and i dont really have the cash to buy one. do u recommend any other way

NewHunter09

Reaction score
subfan. i would love to tag along. i still have to get my license. so that is the area D14

NewHunter09

Reaction score
outdoorsman. i dont even have tags yet i know thats bad. im 19 and in good shape and a avid hiker. i hunt with a rifle.

DAWG

Reaction score
First thing you need is a hunter safety certificate to buy a license. So if you don't have that, you need to get one. Maybe see when the next one is, usually posted at your nearest range...Jump on that ASAP if you are wanting to hunt this year.

Top Bottom