New Hunting Regs for VAFB

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'll try to keep this short and sweet; hope I don't miss anything.

New map: "A" areas are archery A-1, A-2 etc.
"B" areas are shotgun/muzzleloader B-1, B-2 etc.
"C" areas are rifle C-1, C-2 etc.

Part of the previous 2A closure is now an "A" zone and a "B" zone opening up 90% of what was closed for explosive siting.

Area 4 is now broken up and there is an area around Northstar for quick closure.

Area 1 is extended down to 13th St. taking over some of the old Area 2.

A big chunk of south base along the coast is now an archery area (some BIG bucks in there, Lupe!)

The area between 26th st. and the flightline is now an archery area.

The old 2A behind east housing is now a C zone (rifle).

Hunting is allowed in the old trailer park again.

Fish and Game is moving to the main base up in the old HAWC (health and wellness center).

Orange is required only during general deer season and only in B and C areas no hat required, but recommended. G11 runs from 26 August to 31 December and is either sex. New registration system does away with the 216 for small game and pigs only.

Good stuff, no closures for UXO's but the word is something will be done.

Area 8 remains closed due to previous intentional vandalism.

I'm sure there's more, but my brain has turned to mush and I forgot. I'll post addendums as I remember them.

559hog

Reaction score
How do I go about hunting the base?? I'm military reserves by the way.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Gotta be California legal and have military ID. Go to the BX and they can fix you up. The number there is 805 734 5521 and the base Fish and Game office number is 805 606 6804. Give them a try.

559hog

Reaction score
Gotta be California legal and have military ID. Go to the BX and they can fix you up. The number there is 805 734 5521 and the base Fish and Game office number is 805 606 6804. Give them a try.
Let me rephrase heh, Do I have to get a permit to actually hunt on the base like FHL, or is it just drive in, go to BX, and hunt?? What do you mean by California Legal? Resident?

myfriendis410

Reaction score
You must have a base use fee sticker for either deer, pig or small game as well as everything needed to hunt that species i.e. a pig tag, a deer tag, or upland bird sticker or duck stamps. You MUST HAVE all of the stuff to hunt that particular game species BEFORE you go to the Fish and Game department on base. They will give you your authorization to hunt. Military use fee stickers are $15 ea. DoD are $35.

559hog

Reaction score
You must have a base use fee sticker for either deer, pig or small game as well as everything needed to hunt that species i.e. a pig tag, a deer tag, or upland bird sticker or duck stamps. You MUST HAVE all of the stuff to hunt that particular game species BEFORE you go to the Fish and Game department on base. They will give you your authorization to hunt. Military use fee stickers are $15 ea. DoD are $35.
So, I already have my tags for 2009, do I just go to DFG at BX, and then hunt right after? Can I drive around the roads freely, or is there a designated spot to park, and then I have to hike from there? This sounds soooooooo tempting right now. If it's that easy, I might cancel 4th of July plans and make a trip down there 4th of july :):).

myfriendis410

Reaction score
First, to answer 559Hog: you must have all of the base stickers as well as your california stuff before you go to fish and game. They will authorize you to hunt, give you a map, the instruction and a dash placard. You MUST read the instruction which will make it all plain. There are a lot of ins and outs to hunting on Vandenberg; it's a great place, but also has a learning curve. Come up and have some fun, but you probably won't luck out the first time you're up.

To rsolo: spray painting cave drawing.

ltdann

Reaction score
So, I already have my tags for 2009, do I just go to DFG at BX, and then hunt right after? Can I drive around the roads freely, or is there a designated spot to park, and then I have to hike from there? This sounds soooooooo tempting right now. If it's that easy, I might cancel 4th of July plans and make a trip down there 4th of july :):).
When you arrive at the base, you take your ID, tags, license to the bx customer service and buy access stickers. $15 each, for pig and deer.

Then head off to the game shack and check in. They give you the rules, the maps etc and answer questions. When its not deer season, the game shack is open on saturday 0830-0930.

Very good road system on the base, you can get pretty close to anywhere you want to hunt.

Deer are fairly easy, pigs are tough.

Game shack number is 805.606.6804 and they can answer all the questions.... Worth the trip over a long weekend to get a feel for the place and the procedures, generally much cooler weather than the rest of A-zone. VERY good campgrounds and support services.

559hog

Reaction score
Wow, sounds so simple! I'm going to wait til wednesday to see if I can finalize the weekend. If so, I'll be there Friday morning :).

ltdann

Reaction score
What 410 said! but if you've never been and are thinking about hunting there during A-zone, its worth putting up the holiday crowd to drive the roads and do a little scouting. Give you an opportunity to see how big the place is, figure out the maps, find the gas station etc...

There'll probably be plenty of pig hunters up at the camp ground, talk to 'em and get the inside scoop.

You'll see deer at dusk, in the camp ground area.

As a rule, you ought to see 10-20 deer a day, from the road.

559hog

Reaction score
Are any of you guys going to be there? I forgot to get an A zone tag for the deer season. What's the average take from the base during the deer season?

myfriendis410

Reaction score
You can pick up a deer tag application at your local sporting goods store. Mail it in or if you want to hunt the G11, wait 'til you come down and buy it at the BX and tell them RIGHT THEN you want to hunt G11. THEY TAKE YOUR TAG APPLICATION BACK RIGHT THEN. YOU DO NOT MAIL IT YOURSELF!! FISH AND GAME MAILS IT!

As to coming up and pig hunting, see all of the above. Lots of hogs on base, but lots of pressure, so every boar is a trophy.

559hog

Reaction score
You can pick up a deer tag application at your local sporting goods store. Mail it in or if you want to hunt the G11, wait 'til you come down and buy it at the BX and tell them RIGHT THEN you want to hunt G11. THEY TAKE YOUR TAG APPLICATION BACK RIGHT THEN. YOU DO NOT MAIL IT YOURSELF!! FISH AND GAME MAILS IT!

As to coming up and pig hunting, see all of the above. Lots of hogs on base, but lots of pressure, so every boar is a trophy.
So I take it that bow hunting is out of the question no?

ltdann

Reaction score
I'll be up at FHL this weekend, I drew an elk tag and find myself in YOUR situation, new place to hunt and gotta do homework.

The G-11 this is a good deal this year, basically an any sex tag from august to 31 Dec. That way you can hunt post-rut when the pressure's off and the big boys are out.

As for take, depends what your after. If you just want a legal buck, the take is good. If want a wall-hanger, you'll work for it.

My partner and I filled 4 buck tags in 4 days. Nothing special, but meat on the table.

Lots of deer in the archery-only areas. Lots of deer in shotgun/muzzleloader areas.

If you have all three (rifle, shotgun, bow), bring 'em all. You'll find deer somewhere. The last few years, all my deer have come out of shotgun areas.

weekender21

Reaction score
Just a side note, if you're pig/deer hunting during the archery season you can't have a gun in your truck even if you intend to hunt pigs with it. If you're hunting with an AO tag during gun season, you can't have a gun in the truck either.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
Just a side note, if you're pig/deer hunting during the archery season you can't have a gun in your truck even if you intend to hunt pigs with it. If you're hunting with an AO tag during gun season, you can't have a gun in the truck either.
Andy: they are trying to modify that issue as there are a number of us who hunt archery on Friday, go out to the club to shoot skeet in the morning and have barbecue. This does not defeat the intent of being archery only and we'll see if we can get that modified.

myfriendis410

Reaction score
I'll be up at FHL this weekend, I drew an elk tag and find myself in YOUR situation, new place to hunt and gotta do homework.

The G-11 this is a good deal this year, basically an any sex tag from august to 31 Dec. That way you can hunt post-rut when the pressure's off and the big boys are out.

As for take, depends what your after. If you just want a legal buck, the take is good. If want a wall-hanger, you'll work for it.

My partner and I filled 4 buck tags in 4 days. Nothing special, but meat on the table.

Lots of deer in the archery-only areas. Lots of deer in shotgun/muzzleloader areas.

If you have all three (rifle, shotgun, bow), bring 'em all. You'll find deer somewhere. The last few years, all my deer have come out of shotgun areas.
You sell yourself short: all of those were great deer! I saw 'em.

Top Bottom